• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice Choosing New Skis

wendyh

Certified Ski Diva
I'm having new ski envy-- my boys (16 and 10) got new [fat] skis this year and I'm jealous! I've demoed a few and I've read tons of reviews but I'm having a hard time. I ski in the Pacific Northwest and I'd really love a pair of skis that are good for all conditions, especially powder.

I'm 5'3", 105 lb., advanced, prefer off piste over groomers, love bumps. Current ski is Rossi Attraxion 6 in 146 cm (74 mm waist). Based on skis I've demoed, something around 150 cm seems about right. Anything 159 or longer seems too hard to control.

Here's my list:
Atomic Elysian: I loved it in 150cm; at 159 it felt like a completely different ski and I didn't like it
Atomic Century: haven't demoed but I think it would be similar to the Elysian. 156 cm?
Salomon Geisha 153 cm
Volkl Aura 156 cm
Moment Bella 152 cm-- does anyone know anything about Moment skis?
Line Celebrity 90 151 cm

I'd appreciate comments/advice/additions to this list.
Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, 146 seems pretty short. Although certainly would feel easier to control on bumps. I'm 5'0", 115 pounds, and very happy with my Rossi Attraxion 8's at 154. Have used them in all sorts of conditions, including a foot of powder at Alta. I have the 2010 (same specs as 2011 model) with no rocker. Have seen the 2011 on eBay for about $400, with the integrated binding.

For me, no Volkl has felt good. I liked the Black Pearl and Line Celebrity 100 at Big Sky. The Rossi Temptation is on my list to try, in whatever width is available. I demo from mid-150's to mid-160's, usually something close to 160 for fatter skis, which is what I've been checking out lately. For the Black Pearl, I was on 159 but want to try the 166. The 159 was great on soft bumps in a bowl. First time with on a rockered ski and it certainly felt a lot different.

mustski

Angel Diva
Hmm, 146 seems pretty short. For the Black Pearl, I was on 159 but want to try the 166. The 159 was great on soft bumps in a bowl. First time with on a rockered ski and it certainly felt a lot different.

I agree that a rocker requires extra length to get enough edge on the snow. My carver is a 156 and my all mountain with rocker is at 163. I happen to prefer Volkl but that is always a personal preference. If you are considering a rocker, consider a longer length especially if you want it to float you in powder.

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been skiing Volkl Kenjas all year with our blah Tahoe snow season this year. I did take them in powder a couple weekends ago and they float fine for the most part...but I felt like I was seriously fighting them in the trees to get them to behave. So I ended up getting a second ski for my quiver for powder days, Armada TSTw. Awesome powder ski, loved it and it really behaved and did every tight turn I told it to. However it is a lot softer than my Kenjas so on hardpack groomer days I'm still grabbing the Kenjas instead (love how they carve and are stiffer), but on powder like this weekend, the TST wins for sure.

So prioritize what is more important to you for what you want to ski with your new skis and then create your demo list based on that. Your current list sounds like a really good set of options :smile:

bluedarter

Diva in Training
My daughter is also 5'3", 130lb, 20yo, advanced also preferring off-piste, in Oregon. She just fell in *love* with the Icelantic Pilgrim at Mt Hood Meadows' demo day last Sun 3/18. 90cm under foot. She demo'd both the 159cm and the 169cm, said either would do :drool:but the 159 would work best for her.

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out the Rossi S3w and S7w
the S3 is a little more well rounded but good for off-piste and powder, while the S7 is more of a powder specific ski.
I have the S3s and find them to be lots of fun and very versitile (they held up pretty well on a recent ice day at Vail).

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I would recommend NOT trying Icelandics. Everyone I know who's demoed a pair has gone out immediately and bought them. My roommate paid full retail!!!!

wendyh

Certified Ski Diva
Check out the Rossi S3w and S7w
the S3 is a little more well rounded but good for off-piste and powder, while the S7 is more of a powder specific ski.
I have the S3s and find them to be lots of fun and very versitile (they held up pretty well on a recent ice day at Vail).

I did try the S7w but the only length available was 168, which felt really unwieldy on steep bumps. I was a bit unnerved by the "noodly" feeling tips. Would the S3w feel similar to the Elysian? I think what I really want is a ski that will do well in powder, AND most everything else. Is that possible?

Other skis I've tried:
K2 Brightside 160 cm--felt fine, maybe just a tad long
Black Pearl 166 cm--felt too long and stiff, but I only tried them on the same bump run as the S7 (but the Elysian performed nicely on it)
Atomic Affinity Storm 151 cm--felt very comfortable but I want something wider

I think I'm leaning heavily toward the Elysian but again, I'm open to suggestions. The only thing is, I won't be able to demo anything else.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly