• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

8 Things Skiing Teaches Us About Love

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing with my boyfriend has taught me about how our personalities complement each other. He's type A and has to be out the door first thing in the morning. I appreciate having more time to ski in the day, but would not be out early on my own. He likes to quantify his skiing and gets excited about vertical feet skied. I enjoy knowing the numbers but would never bother to look them up on my own. I do have to remind him every once in a while that I ski to have fun and relax, because he does get anxious if the lift line is not going efficiently, etc. I think it helps him to have a reminder to just slow down and enjoy the time together.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should add that if we were together this weekend we would probably already be in Tahoe enjoying a powder bluebird day. On my own, I slept in a little, went to a swim workout, farmers' market, and will head up to Tahoe later in the day. Conditions tomorrow probably won't be as good, but I value taking it slow sometimes.

newboots

Angel Diva
I fell in love with skiing and then almost immediately met and fell in love with this man. He's been skiing since pre-school and I've been skiing since December. Skiing has so much meaning to him, all about freedom and individuality, creativity.

For me, though, skiing in our relationship is all about being challenged. And of course, without being challenged I would never have known I could get down an utterly icy, black race trail without falling! A little like falling in love: scary, a little dangerous, and a huge thrill.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
justbecause.jpg

(Is that not what you meant?)

mustski

Angel Diva
For us, skiing together keeps the marriage more interesting. It's an activity that we both really enjoy. During child rearing years, it was the excitement of sharing new runs and new resorts with Gavin. Now as we learn to deal as empty nesters, I'd say planning future adventures to new ski areas is a huge part of keeping the romance going. On a weekly basis, it's the fun of skiing by ourselves and comparing stats on ski apps. For the record, this really involves me cheerleading him at new records. I'm incredibly consistent - hard fast snow: 35-39mph; powder day: 35-39 mph; spring crud and slop: 35-39 mph. It's become a running joke! He will say, "I hit 63 mph today." I will say, " I haven't checked yet, but I'm betting somewhere between 35 & 39 mph!" In short, skiing together beats a movie date any time!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do have to remind him every once in a while that I ski to have fun and relax

This is something I forget at times. Rather, the excitement of having fun by skiing lots of great runs - overshadows my ability to chill out. It may not just be about counting vert. It may be about enjoying each run so much - vert simply represents more fun via more runs skied.

justbecause.jpg

(Is that not what you meant?)

I only "liked" this because there is no button for "love."

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's more the lift line anxiety that I try to get him to relax about. I love knowing how much I've skied, but not enough to keep track myself.

newboots

Angel Diva
"He's been skiing since pre-school and I've been skiing since December. "

Hahahaha!

Yeah. We're quite a contrast. :ski2: him

:yardsale:me

I was terrified the first time we skied together (maybe day 5 of my skiing career) and he managed to get me on a blue slope. I froze and went down in a pretty spectacular fall. I got pissed and made him buy me lunch.

More recently, we accidentally ended up on the top of an ice-covered race course, the trail we'd been aiming for being roped off. He was helpful and encouraging, but after a minute or two of that, I pulled my skills together and skied to the bottom. He acted admiring: "I tried to get you to side slip, but you found your line and skied the trail."

A nice change from an instructor, who said, "Don't get overconfident. Well, I know you won't."

*edited for brevity and to diminish the incoherent gushing of a girl falling in love

Last edited:

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Yeah. We're quite a contrast. :ski2: him

:yardsale:me

Hahahahahahaha that's me and my skiing sweetie at times!!! Although this past weekend our roles were sort of reversed...I only had a half-price yard sale vs. his spectacular buy-one-get-one free wipeout. (We were both unhurt, thank goodness, per respective events.)

I definitely feel that skiing together has helped reinforce our trust and sense of humor with each other. While I'm still gaining confidence and technique on easier slopes, he's right there as my companion when I need him, even if it means he has to forsake some more advanced runs. That means the world to me that he does that for me as I improve, and I feel it's helping him regain some joy for the sport too.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
(Old, redundant story, told before - apologies to those who know it).
>> That, despite wide variation in skill, equal level of enthusiasm can lead to a life-long relationship.

Yes, I was a never-ever - who married my ski instructor.
42 years ago.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
>> That, despite wide variation in skill, equal level of enthusiasm can lead to a life-long relationship.

42 years ago.

i love your story, and never tire of it!

newboots

Angel Diva
Hahahahahahaha that's me and my skiing sweetie at times!!! Although this past weekend our roles were sort of reversed...I only had a half-price yard sale vs. his spectacular buy-one-get-one free wipeout. (We were both unhurt, thank goodness, per respective events.)

OMG your sense of humor! Half-price! BOGO!

newboots

Angel Diva

42 years ago.

Wait, I want to HEAR it! Being a sucker for romance right now. :hug:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly