• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

3 Colorado Resorts Close Because of TOO MUCH SNOW!

skibetty

Certified Ski Diva
I was stuck in the fiasco yesterday afternoon! I really wish CDot would close I-70 at this time of the year as soon as they hear about an accident! I sat idle for over 2 hours between Silverthorne and the tunnel and then it was a slalom course when we finally started moving all the way up. Even though semi's had chains if they only had 1 set, they weren't going anywhere! If it hadn't started snowing it probably would have been ok but it was like a blizzard and by the time we started moving there was several inches on the ground! Took me over 5 hours to get home! Would have been great if I could have turned around somewhere but there aren't any places to do that! Makes me very hesitant to go up again when it's snowing! On the plus side - the snow was phenomenal!

dancingspark

Certified Ski Diva
@skibetty You might already know this, but if you check cotrip.org, you can see a list of all road closures and they're usually pretty prompt about updating. Also, Waze, which is a phone app that crowd-sources accidents and road closures, is really helpful when you're stuck in standstill traffic. I always check those before leaving Silverthorne if I'm planning on going down to Denver, especially when there's snow.

Last week people were having tailgating parties out on 70E while it was closed, haha. I guess it's better than sitting in the car.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the CDOT phone app. It shows I-70 as a straight line. Very easy to tell the traffic situation at a glance.

skibetty

Certified Ski Diva
@dancingspark Yes, I have both of those apps and will also check google maps. The thing I don't like about the CDOT app is that they seem to have a huge gap between real time and when they post. So they showed I70 clear well into the standstill. I think I had been sitting for a good hour before they posted any problems. Just frustrating! At the time I started my drive it was not snowing. Then the weather moved in and it was a blizzard for a while! Hopefully next week will be much better!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. CDOT's mobile app stinks since they changed it. @skibetty is right, they are rarely accurate anymore. I have been sitting still many times when it tells me traffic is normal.

2. CDOT's twitter app seems to be much better as far as real time.

3. We drove into Crested Butte Monday shortly after they closed. It was snowing super hard, yes, but that wasn't the root of the problem. They had a busted lift (Silver Queen) that couldn't take patrollers high enough on the mountain to keep up with the snow; they also couldn't get patrol rigs back up to deal with injuries. So it was a bit disingenuous (and ingenious lol) to say they closed because of "too much snow." Plenty of resorts can handle 19 in. in 24 hr, not that big of a deal.

4. Overall, Crested Butte IS buried in snow (as is much of CO).

IMG_4004.jpg IMG_4050.jpg IMG_4141.jpg IMG_4143.jpg

Some of the reports were weird, too -- they called 8 inches on Wednesday, but it was by far the deepest morning we had.

5. Tahoe got "too much snow to ski." We can't even compare.

skibetty

Certified Ski Diva
Tahoe got "too much snow to ski." We can't even compare.
Did you see the pic at Tahoe with the chair lift? The snow was so deep the chair didn't have enough clearance to even operate the chair! Crazy!! So, glad they are getting the moisture this season!!
COtrip.org shows the live cams...
Yes, they do, however there must be a bug because every time I clicked on the live cam within the app it would just shut down the app and go to the home screen!
On a positive note - the snow is incredible and I am just glad that I made it up and eventually back! I survived unscathed and can't wait to get back up next week!! :thumbsup:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think @RachelV pointed me to this. It's basically the only time I use twitter. The status updates on the CDOT app (road closures etc) do seem to be relatively real-time.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Well, we are finally getting some more snow and the pass from France to Andorra is requiring chains. Grandvalira in Andorra closed a lot of runs today under heavy snow, I imagine as the snow was falling on ice in many places and the avalanche risk is high. I think it's not too mad to let the snow fall undisturbed for a while in any case...

I stayed home this weekend - I plan to ski in Zurs, Austria next weekend - they're getting some snow as well. Nothing like the Western US though.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In some locations, we would say that report is completely accurate.

haha! I thought about that when I was writing that. One of the ways they gauge traffic on the app is by delays, ie, is it normal time from tunnel to Bakerville, or plus 10 minutes, etc. So that's where I was coming from, but you are totally right! :smile: Getting that way here, as well.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
1. CDOT's mobile app stinks since they changed it. @skibetty is right, they are rarely accurate anymore. I have been sitting still many times when it tells me traffic is normal.

3. We drove into Crested Butte Monday shortly after they closed. It was snowing super hard, yes, but that wasn't the root of the problem. They had a busted lift (Silver Queen) that couldn't take patrollers high enough on the mountain to keep up with the snow; they also couldn't get patrol rigs back up to deal with injuries. So it was a bit disingenuous (and ingenious lol) to say they closed because of "too much snow." Plenty of resorts can handle 19 in. in 24 hr, not that big of a deal.

4. Overall, Crested Butte IS buried in snow (as is much of CO).

View attachment 6414 View attachment 6415 View attachment 6416 View attachment 6417

Some of the reports were weird, too -- they called 8 inches on Wednesday, but it was by far the deepest morning we had.

5. Tahoe got "too much snow to ski." We can't even compare.
I was there the entire week. Over 10 feet in 4 days

Christy

Angel Diva
WSDOT threw in the towel on the Mt Baker Hwy, lol (which means Baker is closed). They closed it last night and it's staying that way until Tuesday, not just because of the 29" new with continued dumpage--should be around 40" for the weekend (though that's not THAT crazy, not like those Tahoe totals) but because of so many fallen limbs and trees down on the road. It seems like when roads close it's not usually because of snow totals but because of what the snowfall causes (avalanches, accidents, trees down, power out). There are probably going to be a lot of WWU students not in class on Tuesday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly