• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2018 88 Black Pearls vs 2017 Black Pearls

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The changed shape of the ski really does make it feel quite different, and that shorter turn radius does make it that much more maneuverable. That being said, it's been a wildly popular ski for a reason, so if the older version appeals to you due to price point, I get that and say go for it.

irinab

Diva in Training
Why don't you talk to someone at Blizzard? Or a store that specializes in Blizzard (the only one I know of is Northern Ski Works in Ludlow, VT). When you get conflicting information, go to the most reliable source.

I have faith in the information you get here, though. The women posting are very knowledgeable; some are test skiers for reputable dealers - a good place to get your advice!

I did try but they didn't respond. I don't expect ski shops to know about every ski but it'd be nice if they knew more about one of the best selling women's skis...

Skis.com's answer re "WSD" (as in women's specific design) is strange & puzzling, because these skis were designed with women in mind in the first place. I've had good dealings with SkiEssentials, and I'd trust them, regardless of who you buy from.

I think Blizzard refers to their carbon flipcore redesign as WSD which is odd since I'm sure they use similar construction on men's skis.

irinab

Diva in Training
The changed shape of the ski really does make it feel quite different, and that shorter turn radius does make it that much more maneuverable. That being said, it's been a wildly popular ski for a reason, so if the older version appeals to you due to price point, I get that and say go for it.

I did end up committing to the 2017 since it was a tad cheaper and I loved skiing in them last season, plus I think the longer turning radius may be better for skiing fast from what I've been reading? I definitely will have to pay more attention to how turning radius affects my skiing in the future to understand it a little better.

If I get a chance to try the 2018 at some point and regret getting the 2017's I will let you know (: Thank you for all your advice!! I am definitely way better prepared for my next ski purchase, although I do hope for my bank account's sake that's not any time soon, but discovering this forum doesn't help my obsession...

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did end up committing to the 2017 since it was a tad cheaper and I loved skiing in them last season, plus I think the longer turning radius may be better for skiing fast from what I've been reading? I definitely will have to pay more attention to how turning radius affects my skiing in the future to understand it a little better.

If I get a chance to try the 2018 at some point and regret getting the 2017's I will let you know (: Thank you for all your advice!! I am definitely way better prepared for my next ski purchase, although I do hope for my bank account's sake that's not any time soon, but discovering this forum doesn't help my obsession...
Congrats on the new skis! If you mean skiing fast doing GS-type turns, then perhaps.

The first time I demo'd was in NC. I was a confident intermediate just starting to ski regularly enough that I wanted to buy a good pair of skis. For some reason, 4FRNT had a tent with their wide powder skis. Just for fun I took out the shortest skis they had. The rep said they "like to run." At Sugar, only took 2-3 min from the top of the lift that went the highest during that early season demo weekend. Those ski certainly were stable when they went fast!

For what it's worth, now that I'm an advanced skier, I don't think of turning radius as being a factor in terms of speed. At least not on wide open terrain or a groomer. But in trees or bumps, I would lean towards a tighter radius if the goal was to move fast. But could just be the way I think about turn radius because of how I like to ski.

newboots

Angel Diva
discovering this forum doesn't help my obsession...

You've got that right! Have you seen the thread about "how many skis in your quiver?" Or, for that matter, the pants/jacket slut threads. And threads about mountain biking equipment, or . . .

:rotf:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly