• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2015 Cycle Stoke Thread

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't see a new one for 2015, so here we go.

(The below cross-posted to epicski. Mea culpa.)
I finally made it to Trestle today. I forgot my rain jacket, but the gods were good, and there were only a few sprinkles. I decided not to bring any body armor so that I wouldn't be tempted to do anything harder than a blue (more on that later) - I wanted to ride mellow, low-consequence trails and just have some fun.

My bike going up ahead of me. I am terrible at loading bikes, btw.

Purty meadow / ski slope below the Zephyr lift:

A short section of Long Trail that goes uphill. I don't remember this from two years ago. I generally object to uphill travel when I'm riding lift-serviced, but I was curious where this went. And it was pretty.

Aftermath part 1. It turns out that the section of Long Trail - which was very fun - dumped out onto Jury Duty. I mistakenly thought I was maybe on a section of Green World, so I didn't expect the wall ride. It had a level section as well as the wall, but it narrowed and I tried to get on a wet wall ride at the wrong spot at minimal speed and ....

Aftermath part 2:

So, yeah. If I'd been wearing armor, neither of those would have happened, as the guy next to me on the lift pointed out on the next ride up. Is it just me, or are these observations especially annoying when they're true? I did find an oversized bandaid in my pack, so I was able to keep the elbow from bleeding through the white base layer I was wearing.

Around 1pm, I had a well-deserved lunch. I was thinking I could just grab something at the top and wolf it down, but apparently it's a sit-down place, and they invited me right in, sweat, blood, mud, and all.

I think I rode up the lift four times - maybe five, but probably not. I did stick to my plan of all greens and blues, for whatever that is worth. I don't think I've ever ridden a black on my XC bike, anyway. At the end, I was getting that "last ride" feeling - I was tired, and my bum shoulder was starting to ache, but I kind of wanted to go back and ride some more. I decided to get out of there while it was still fun.

Unfortunately, and presumably due to all the rain they've been getting, the new Blue Crush trail was closed (altagirl suggested it - I'll have to try again some time), as was the lower section of Green World that takes you through tight trees with more technical riding than the rest.

altagirl

Staff member
Sorry to hear about the scrapes, but sound like a fun day overall! I ate up top too. Slow service, but I had a tasty salad with pork belly, yum!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear about the scrapes, but sound like a fun day overall! I ate up top too. Slow service, but I had a tasty salad with pork belly, yum!

I totally meant to eat the salad, but then he said they had gluten free buns ... and weirdly, the GF bun wasn't as terrible as most are.

Yeah, it was fun! I am confused because my hands aren't sore. Usually that's the limiting factor. I haven't been doing anything that should be strengthening my hands, so my only possible other theory is that I somehow am braking less ... but that seems unlikely!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice! And yum!
I'll share some stoke later. I've had lots this year and it's been extra stokey because of coming off the ol' broken leg.

Riding a new trail at Powder Mountain this weekend (hoping it's not muddy!) It's supposed to be the most gorgeous ride in this area (meaning NoUtah.) Nothing techy, 500 feet of climbing, just fun and flowy through fields of wildflowers. Can't WAIT! Here's the review of it: https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/powdermtn-brim.htm

altagirl

Staff member
I totally meant to eat the salad, but then he said they had gluten free buns ... and weirdly, the GF bun wasn't as terrible as most are.

Yeah, it was fun! I am confused because my hands aren't sore. Usually that's the limiting factor. I haven't been doing anything that should be strengthening my hands, so my only possible other theory is that I somehow am braking less ... but that seems unlikely!
I switched to thinner grips on my new bike - my shop guy convinced me that the latest thing is to go small so your hands have space to be loose around them. (So says Aaron Gwin, so who's to argue? ) I rode nothing but my new bike for a couple weeks and was like yeah yeah, they're fine I guess. But then we went to Winter Park and I rode lifts on my other bike with the old big squishy grips that I always thought were comfy, and my hands couldn't take it. I went and switched grips immediately and it made a huge difference. I never would have guessed that.

Last edited:

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did a 4-day ride of the Icefields Parkway from Jasper to Lake Louise last weekend. Well, I rode about 70% of it and my brother-in-law rode the rest, so we split the riding on 3 of the 4 days. That was better than expected, as I've been doing the aircast/crutches/find shoes that don't hurt dance for about 2 months thanks to an undiagnosed something wrong with my foot. Wasn't too certain I should have been riding at all... The weather was gorgeous, though there was rain on our last night camping and into the morning, so it was cold on the downhills for most of the last day.

I took some awesome pictures on my BIL's camera of him and my sis, and I know he took some pics of me, but I don't have them, so here's one I took of my sister at some point with my camera that fits in a jersey pocket (stupid cars ruining the shot!):
IMG_2335.JPG

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I switched to thinner grips on my new bike - my shop guy convinced me that the latest thing is to go small so your hands have space to be loose around them. (So says Aaron Gwin, so who's to argue? ) I rode nothing but my new bike for a couple weeks and was like yeah yeah, they're fine I guess. But then we went to Winter Park and I rode lifts on my other bike with the old big squishy grips that I always thought were comfy, and my hands couldn't take it. I went and switched grips immediately and it made a huge difference. I never would have guessed that.

Cool! I haven't changed grips. It's *possible* that my progression in skiing translated into braking less frequently, but not realizing it. Maybe.

Sorry @bounceswoosh about your boo boos but looks like you had a fun day overall and your lunch looked delicious. You guys make me want to try this kind of bike riding, I am a newbie but it looks fun.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My beau/friend/ski buddy (whatever) got me new Louis Garneau cycling gloves in pink. Hope they work as well as my old black ones. They really helped prevent the hand tingles/numbness I've been prone to. They had them in blue, too, which will be saved for Christmas.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry @bounceswoosh about your boo boos but looks like you had a fun day overall and your lunch looked delicious. You guys make me want to try this kind of bike riding, I am a newbie but it looks fun.

It *is* fun, and there are a number of famous DH places on the east coast. I mostly know about Snowshoe, which is in West Virginia, not exactly close to you - but I wonder if some of your local mountains don't also have lift-serviced trails.

There's a big range. For example, a black diamond mountain bike trail at Keystone or Winter Park is a major big deal - you should be wearing a full face helmet and armor. But at Breck, they rate the trails more based on casual riders, so the blacks there are easier than the green at Keystone!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain biking is supposed to be *the* best off-season workout for skiers.

I ended up buying a hybrid but was using it on the road and I just didn't like it. I realized I need a road bike for around town and a mountain bike for off road. This sounds terrible but I don't want to be that biker who goes crazy through biking/hiking trails in our local forests, etc. I am not a huge fan of the uphill. I would rather do the lift served thing and take the chair lift up and ride down :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended up buying a hybrid but was using it on the road and I just didn't like it. I realized I need a road bike for around town and a mountain bike for off road. This sounds terrible but I don't want to be that biker who goes crazy through biking/hiking trails in our local forests, etc. I am not a huge fan of the uphill. I would rather do the lift served thing and take the chair lift up and ride down :smile:

I did similar. I bought a used rigid frame mountain bike a decade ago for a 14 mile commute. It wasn't great, even with slick tires. I eventually got a road bike, and it was much more pleasant for that distance.

I'm not a big fan of the uphill, either, although I do feel proud when I manage to get up something I used to stop on (this is a seasonal thing - every season I start over). Uphill technical sections are more challenging, too, because you don't have gravity to give you the speed to get over it. But yeah, downhill all day is pretty amazing; it's just expensive (and inconvenient, given the need to drive to the mountains).

I sold my hybrid bike but I think I will look into where lift served biking is in my area and buy another bike. I am not sure if CT offers any so I am pretty sure I'll have to head to the next likely place which would be Massachusetts. Time to google search and in the meantime buy a road bike and a helmet so I can enjoy a little around town fun.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the uphill! What an intense workout it is, I always feel like a million bucks (high as a kite) after I'm done! Throw in some technical stuff like rocks and roots and such, and it is so invigorating! I'm stronger now at 46 than I've been since I taught a gazillion step classes per week in my 20's. It's hard as hell at the start of the season, but with consistent riding, gets easier and is such a feeling of accomplishment. Plus you see more stuff while climbing. And it makes the non-climbing rides that much more fun because you're just that much stronger! If you really loathe climbing, get a 29er because it makes climbing a little easier :tongue:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the uphill! What an intense workout it is, I always feel like a million bucks (high as a kite) after I'm done! Throw in some technical stuff like rocks and roots and such, and it is so invigorating!

To me, just plain uphill on a dirt road is torture. Even though the technical stuff is objectively more difficult, it gives me something to think about other than just keeping myself pedaling, so I like it better. Sometimes I really, honestly just sort of gradually pedal more and more slowly on a boring (to me) non-technical trail until I find that I have stopped.

altagirl

Staff member
To me, just plain uphill on a dirt road is torture. Even though the technical stuff is objectively more difficult, it gives me something to think about other than just keeping myself pedaling, so I like it better. Sometimes I really, honestly just sort of gradually pedal more and more slowly on a boring (to me) non-technical trail until I find that I have stopped.

Same here. I'm actually enjoying climbing these days (that took YEARS), but the exception is fire roads and such. I don't know why, but it's just utter torture. Steep switchbacks, rocks and roots? All good. Boring gravel road? Someone shoot me, please.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

LOL this made me think of Forrest Gump when he suddenly stops running! "I'm tired. I think I'll go home now."
We don't have any fire roads to climb on around here, thankfully!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna