• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2015/2016 All Mountain 75-88 waist

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About the tester: 49 yr old heavy weight with a love for junky snow and high speeds. Lapsed PSIA L2 certified, NASTAR/beer league gold/platinum racer. Current quiver ranges from 168 cm unisex carvers to 177 mid-fats and powder skis with a mix of women specific and unisex skis.

The conditions: Day 1 was a high of 32 degrees with perfect packed powder groomers and a bit soft cut-up soft snow under blue skies. Day 2 was a high of 30 degrees with a bit of wind and cloudy skies. Perfect groomer, cut up soft snow, and snow fall later on. Day 3 was a high of 5 degrees with howling wind and sunny skies.

The All Mountains – 75-88 (by waist width):

* Denotes unisex ski

Head Super Joy, 163 cm, 128-75-108 (R 12.5 m):
The Super Joy is a super light weight and fairly stiff carving oriented all mountain ski with a love of high speed medium radius turns. It is stable and forgiving with plenty of rebound, but its combination of light weight and stiffness makes it almost too lively and gives it a bouncy and rough ride in cut up conditions at higher speeds (at least for this heavy weight). Best for advanced skiers looking for great performance on groomers. I know graphics shouldn’t matter, but the black and lemon yellow colors with the honeycomb pattern just wowed me.

Nordica Belle to Belle, 161 cm, 114-78-98 (R 15.5 m):
Another carving-oriented all mountain ski with enough width to make it fun in softer stuff. It excelled at short and medium turns on the steeps, but the tips got a little flappy at higher speeds and in longer turns. Its easy and forgiving nature makes it a great ski for intermediates looking to up their skills on steeper groomers.

Blizzard Cheyenne, 163 cm, 115-78-100 (R 16.0 m):
The soft construction of the Cheyenne gives it outstanding forgiveness in a carving-oriented ski. This is a fun, easy, poppy ski with tremendous edge grip. It clung to the steeps and whipped off short turns faster than I could keep up. The combination of softness and short length made it really scary for me at speed and in cut-up snow, so I ended up also trying this one in the unisex Latigo version at 177 cm to get a better feel for it in an appropriate length. The correct length was much more stable and left me with a grin on my face. Best for intermediate through advanced carvers looking for a little more all mountain capability.

Volkl Yumi, 161 cm, 175-83-103 (R 17.1 m):
What a confidence inspiring ski! So fun and easy, with lots of manageable rebound out of the turn. The Yumi is way more forgiving than most Volkls, but loses none of the signature Volkl edge grip or pop. This is a super nimble ski that handled moderate cut-up snow with aplomb. Best for lighter intermediate skiers looking to venture into trees, bumps, and softer snow for the first time. Heavier skiers may over power this one.

* Volkl RTM 84 UVO, 177 cm, 131-84-112 (R 17.9 m):
Not surprisingly, the RTM was the absolute star of the test for me. I liked it so much, I went adventuring with it for an extended period of time (twice). The 84 has gotten rave reviews almost every year it’s been in production, but this year’s addition of camber under foot and the UVO (Ultimate Vibration Object) has elevated its performance way beyond my expectations. What surprised me most was its tolerance of very slow speeds – it has none of Volkl’s usual irritation with just meandering around. So much fun! It’s a fairly burly ski and not very forgiving, but for advanced and expert skiers looking for high-speed fun on the front side of the mountain, look no farther!

* Liberty Variant 87, 179 cm, 129-87-116 (R 17 m):
I asked the guys in the test tent to wow me, and they totally did. The Variant was another one that I spent an extended period of time on, even taking it into windblown crust and what little crusty powder I could find. This ski is strong and well balanced without being a total handful. It rolled easily into turns, felt solid under foot, and released the turn easily with minimal input. Its solid construction and damp nature smoothed out the choppy stuff under the powder with ease. I even loved the graphics – a nubby flat black top sheet with wood grain ravens and barren branches underneath (very Edgar Allan Poe looking). Best for strong skiers looking for versatility and beauty in an indie brand.

Blizzard Black Pearl, 166 cm, 123-88-108 (R 17.0 m):

Wow. What a confidence inspiring ski! So calm and steady, so willing to do whatever was asked of it and so, so forgiving! It was equally at home on the groomers, on the steeps, and in the cut-up soft snow, even at speed. The new dream catcher graphic is an absolutely perfect representation of what this ski is all about! The women on TheSkiDiva.com have been raving about this ski since it first appeared and now I know why. Best for heavier skiers just venturing into challenging conditions, bumps, and trees, or for lighter weight advanced and expert skiers playing all over the mountain. When choosing a length, go longer than you’d think with this one – it’s that easy to ski!

Nordica Wild Belle, 161 cm, 124-88-108 (R 15.5 m):

Another great all mountain ski! The Wild Belle really shined at speed, flying down the hill with solid medium radius turns. Even when I really pushed it, it never got chattery at all. Damp and fairly forgiving with stability to spare and just a bit of pop at the end of the turn. Best for those looking to make the jump to advanced/expert skiing and willing to up their personal speed limit.

* Elan 4D Amphibio 88, 176 cm, 131-88-116 (R 17 m) Note-using specs from 2015 model as I couldn’t find any information on the 2016 and couldn’t read the on-ski print in my contacts.
Since I just demoed the 2015 version a few weeks ago, I was surprised when the test tent guys (Ray) put me back on this one. I loved it then, and I love it even more now. The 4D technology (metal layers convex in the tip and concave in the tail) really upped this ski’s game. It hooks up into the turn quickly and releases the end very easily. It excels at medium and long radius turns at eye-watering speeds with plenty of pop at the end. It powers through cut-up snow and hauls ass down the steeps with confidence. Best for strong/heavy skiers ripping the front side at high speeds. Wheeee!!!

* Head Monster 88, 170 cm, ?-88-? Note-I couldn’t find any information on the 2016 and couldn’t read the on-ski print in my contacts.
Just like the original Monster, this is a big, stiff, damp ski that requires strong input to make it perform. It’s not particularly forgiving, and I found the tails to be a little stiff and sticky for my tastes. Best for really strong/heavy skiers who like big turns at speed, and who have the skill to keep it under control.

mustski

Angel Diva
So ... I am feeling that your fav was either the RTM, the Liberty, or the Elan? Would that be correct?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The RTM was my favorite by far, with the Liberty and Armada (in the next fattest group) the next closest and the Amphibio after that.

BeSki

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks again, VG! I appreciate your input on so many skis. It is really helpful/valuable when one person can compare so many skis. Kind of apples to apples, you know. :wink:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
@volklgirl - any of these comparable to our Lady Hart Twins? I am thinking I need to replace them SOMEDAY, and was wondering. Of course I was on them this past Saturday and they were, as always, excellent.

Just wondering

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Variant was probably the closest in performance, but stiffer overall. The BP is definitely softer.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm surprised you didn't find the Black Pearl too short in a 166. I definitely agree they are confidence inspiring! I am debating sizing up to the 166 next year for myself because I have a feeling after this knee injury, I'm going to need some skis that will take it easy on me for awhile!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I don't think @volklgirl was reviewing skis with herself in mind, primarily. (Pretty sure her ski closet is full to overflowing!) These vignettes primarily summarize the skis' general characteristics and what type of skiers they are best suited for.

And frankly, all 3 threads are brilliant. :smile:
Bravo! :clap:
(In your shoes - boots? - my mind would have gone blank at #12, easily!)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant - I actually did find the BP too short, at least a high speeds, thus my comment to choose a longer length than you'd think. At slower speeds the 166 was perfectly fine, but I'm sure it would get bogged down in any amount of soft snow.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant - I actually did find the BP too short, at least a high speeds, thus my comment to choose a longer length than you'd think. At slower speeds the 166 was perfectly fine, but I'm sure it would get bogged down in any amount of soft snow.

I kinda figured. Probably explains why I also am jonesing for longer than the 159 now that I'm skiing faster, which of course the BP's gave me the confidence to do 3 seasons ago. :thumbsup:

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blizzard Cheyenne, 163 cm, 115-78-100 (R 16.0 m):
The soft construction of the Cheyenne gives it outstanding forgiveness in a carving-oriented ski. This is a fun, easy, poppy ski with tremendous edge grip. It clung to the steeps and whipped off short turns faster than I could keep up. The combination of softness and short length made it really scary for me at speed and in cut-up snow, so I ended up also trying this one in the unisex Latigo version at 177 cm to get a better feel for it in an appropriate length. The correct length was much more stable and left me with a grin on my face. Best for intermediate through advanced carvers looking for a little more all mountain capability.

I bought the Latigo in a 170cm, I swithered on length but decided to go shorter with 170cm as I plan to use this for a L2 ski instructor exam so want to be able to do short turns on them and I want them to ski on piste 90% off the time. Just back from a week skiing them in pretty varied conditions and I love them, pretty great at most conditions, a lot of fun, easy to ski and just seemed to disappear under my feet which is pretty much what I wanted. I skied them in a bit of deeper snow, maybe 30cm new snow and they did feel short there but I reckon if I had got them in the 177cm they would be pretty good in deeper snow albeit maybe losing a bit of their ease of use? They were a lot of fun on soft bumps though and held an edge nicely on hard snow, very happy with them all round.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much Volklgirl for testing the skis that so many of us have discussed and considered demoing. Given your background, stats, expertise, and preference for Volkls in general; your willingness to get out there and try these many skis for yourself is laudable. Your reviews fun and to the point.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Great, extremely well-written and helpful reviews. Fun to read. I'm not in the market for skis but I always love reading your reviews!

Bluestsky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@volklgirl Thank you so much for your reviews...concise, but containing all pertinent info! I especially appreciate your comments on why some skis might be more suitable for lighter skiers. (Size-wise I'm a chicken on skis). Saved your reviews for shopping consideration down the road.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awwwww, thanks guys! I had a blast and hope to do it again this spring. Don't forget, this edition is part 2 of 3.....I also reviewed the carvers and the fatties!

I also love these reviews, your reviews are great!! I will hunt down those carver and fatty reviews, worth bookmarking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna