• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2013/2014 Lange XT 100W LV Review

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LB27100.jpg

Specifics: 2014 Lange XT 100 W LV (low volume = 97 mm last), size 23.5

Features: Vibram sole, single cuff alignment pivot, lace-up heat moldable liner with firmer padding around the heel and ankle to improve fit and resist packing, hike feature.

About the tester:
  • 49 year old heavyweight, PSIA L2 certified, gold/platinum NASTAR/league racer with a love of high speeds and junky snow. Using Superfeet Cork footbeds from 1980-something. History of bunion and neuroma removal on the right foot.
  • Foot measurements (unsupported): Right = 235 mm long, 98 mm at widest, 65 mm heel width. Left = 242 mm long, 95 mm at widest, 70 mm heel width.
  • Previous boots: Lange World Cup 100 Jr (last 95 mm), 23.5, with significant bump and grind work in the toe boxes, heel lifts, 1/2 saddle wrap left, full saddle wrap right. Lange Banshee 120 W (last 98 mm), 24.5 (upsized to account for neuroma surgery) with heel lifts, full saddle wrap left, 1-1/2 saddle wraps right plus additional padding in the heel and Achilles area.
Test skis so far: Hart Lady Twin 176 (86 waist), Volkl Kiku 178 (rockered 106 waist).

First impressions: This is THE BEST out-of-the-box fit I've ever had!!! I've now used these boots twice with no irritation of the neuroma or bunion areas, no tingling or numbness in the instep or bottom of the foot, and no sign that I need heel lifts to put my ankles up into the pockets, to improve my stance and balance, or to get my low and muscular calves up out of the cuff. I will need some paddling around my right heel, but likely only an L pad rather than a full or even a 1/2 saddle wrap. The stance is upright and relaxed yet incredibly balanced and strong. The forgiving 100 forward flex made it a breeze to go from groomed to deeper snow while staying balanced and relaxed, and their significant lateral stiffness was more than enough to drive the Kikus easily into a fully carved turn with fairly high edge angles.

Raves:
  • That see through green color is HOT!! :love:
  • I like the ability to use the liner laces to keep constant shin contact with the liner.
  • Fit!!!! I never thought I'd be able to say that about a mass produced boot!!
  • The Vibram sole is a godsend when hiking, both on the snow for turns, and cruising around the lodge and parking lot.
  • The pull tabs on both the tongue and back of the liner. :thumb:
Rants:
  • Getting these on and off completely and totally SUCKS! I fully expect to sprain my ankle sometime during the season during the process. OUCH! Neglecting to fully loosen all the lacing, even deep into the lower shell, results in serious frustration.
  • The hike feature pull needs to be bigger, as it's current size is completely incompatible with mittened hands.
  • The liners are pretty chilly, so plan to add the cost of heaters if you're contemplating buying these boots.
  • The overlap in the shell leaks, just like all Langes.....you'd think they would have figured out how to fix this by now?????
  • The heel lugs tend to hang up getting in and out of the bindings, but this issue isn't boot specific as this happens with most Vibram-soled boots used in conjunction with alpine bindings.
Summary: I'm still a bit concerned about the 100 flex given my size and aggressiveness, especially coming from a 120 boot last year. Other than that, I'm just THRILLED with these boots so far!!! :thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup: I can unconditionally recommend them to any intermediate to expert skier with a narrow and/or oddly shaped foot and low/large calves. For those of lighter weight, more intermediate skills, or wider foot, they offer the XT 90 W in a 100 last rather than the LV fit.

I'll continue to keep track of my experiences and will update the review as I use them more.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I totally understand that feeling that you're going to sprain your ankle. My bootfitter showed me how to push the flaps apart while bending over to put them on, but I've never managed to push down hard enough to make a difference.

Here's what I do to don and doff the boots without hurting myself. I have to have my foot on the ground, and it's easier if I'm sitting on a low bench. If I'm doing it at the car I have to just crouch down, but it's easier while sitting on a low bench.

To put the boot on, I put the sole on the ground, slide my forefoot into the cuff with my toes slightly turned out and knee bent, pull up on the tongue to pull the flaps apart while holding the heel down with my other hand on the back of the cuff, bend my knee and push the ball of my foot forward to slide in. I just let the heel follow; if I push down on my heel before it's well into the boot, my forefoot gets painfully stuck.

To take it off, I put the sole on the ground, pull up on the tongue with one hand to separate the flaps, hold the heel down with my other hand on the back of the cuff, and shift my weight forward while bending my knee and pushing down hard on the back of the cuff with the heel of my right hand. I keep bending my knee and pushing down on the back of the cuff until my heel slides up and I kind of walk out of the boot.

HTH!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds good! Will be definitely keeping this boot in mind as mine are on their last season and I want a boot that would be better on a boot pack than my Atomics... If I see them in a shop will try them on as I am very curious how upright they would be. In the past I remember Langes boots that I tried had too much forward lean, but Technica Diablo's were too upright and didn't work too well either. Hopefully this boot offers a good compromise...

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Hi snow addict.

Like Volklgirl, I moved from the Lange Banshee to the XT - except last season. The specific point of my search was for a more upright cuff because I was otherwise happy with the Banshees. So I can assure you that the XT does indeed have less forward lean.

I'm very happy with my XTs so far with about 75 days in them.

Meant to add that it sounds like they are using a new liner. Last years XT does not have a lace up liner. I've found the liner to be reasonably warm but I did install hotronics and have needed the heaters. Have skied these boots with hotronics and boot gloves in - 23 degrees F with no trouble. I've also not had major issues getting in and out of the boot.

And no. Lange has not fixed the leak problem with the vertical seam on top of the toe box. So stupid really. I just use a small piece of duck tape and that seems to seal it up fine.

Last edited:

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good info, thanks! I think I will be trasferring my zipfits to new boots so liner doesn't affect me much. My Atomics also leak so I am used to having duct tape on my boots :smile:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Just FYI. I have beautiful unused zip fits that I did not like in the XTs because the zipfits have so much padding on the back side of the cuff relative to the Lange stock liner that it was pushing my knee forward and defeating the purpose of my new more upright cuff. So my zipfits sit at home and I'm skiing the stock liner.

If you have been skiing the zipfits I guess you will probably be fine. But I thiught I would mention it.

You may want to be aware of it and really check the forward lean with the zipfits vs stock liners during the fitting process.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have a pair of ZipFits languishing as they have so much padding around the instep area that they won't fit into the low instep area of any of my Langes. I never realized that I have a high instep, apparently. LOVE the heel hold on the ZipFits, if I could only find shells that o can stuff them into. :-/

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats on your new boots and thanks for review! I got new ski boots too this season - Rossignol Alltrack Pro 110, mostly great out of the box fit with some minor complaints - tight in the calf and minor hotspot on top of my foot. They are softer than my previous Tecnica boots, but I enjoyed skiing for 4 days in them well last week, so they are not too soft, bootfitter confirmed this today. Got the liners heat molded today and footbed added, will post a full review after I ski with footbed and with molded liners. They are sooo comfortable after molding, I am a bit scared that they will pack out later, we will see.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the Pro 110 on my short list until I saw the last width. WAY wide for my scrawny feet! Looking forward to your review as well.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Day 4 update:

I had an aha moment on day 3, fully reinforced again on day 4!

On-snow Impression: It turns out that the stiffer Banshees had allowed me to just plant my shins into the tongue of the boot and "park and ride" my turns, but the softer XTs would have none of that! Their softness really emphasized each and every occasion I got off balance. Too far forward caused them to flex too much, almost folding in half. Too far back had them sending me on a ride whether I wanted to or not. This was just enough of a wake-up call that I began staying more balanced and centered in the cuff, started noticing more of my feet and toes pressing on the bottom of the boot, and learned to really actively flex the ankles, knees, and hips. While I expected the softer boots to not hold up to aggressive skiing, it turned out to be quite the opposite - they fully require active, aggressive skiing to keep from toppling over! I hadn't really realized just how lazy I'd gotten as a skier from sliding around on big, fat, rockered boards with super stiff boots. Wheeeeee!!!:ski2:

Fit Findings: Still the best out-of-the-box fit I've ever had!! 6+ hours in them have emphasized the need for some ankle/heel padding for my super-skinny heels. While I get almost no heel lift, I definitely am sliding from side-to-side whenever I apply any rotary motion to the skis. That's not necessarily bad on groomers when the turning forces should be more laterally applied, but it is obvious enough to keep me off any really steep or bumpy terrain where skidded/pivoted/hopped turns may be necessary. Beyond that, the liners have stretched sufficiently for my longer left foot and wider right metatarsal area to be perfectly comfortable. Still no sign of calf cramping or ankle bone soreness to suggest needing a heel lift. :thumbsup::love:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Yay! Congratulations! [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Xinga

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fit of those Langes for me, in the shop, was such that when I flexed them, the top of the shell above the arch of my foot would deform and crush my foot down painfully. If it wasn't for that, I might have ended up with those boots too, as the rest of the fit was great!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought about waiting for the 14/15 110W model, but I really, REALLY couldn't pass up the price on these...$149, BRAND NEW!!!!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fit of those Langes for me, in the shop, was such that when I flexed them, the top of the shell above the arch of my foot would deform and crush my foot down painfully. If it wasn't for that, I might have ended up with those boots too, as the rest of the fit was great!

That was my past experience with Langes too, together with aggressive forward lean. Hard to get in I could live with. I heard forward lean was addressed, but if they still crash arches, then they are no-go for me.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm need to reiterate just how not user-friendly the cuff release tab is. Even without mittens on, I couldn't reach around to the little tab enough to really get a grip on it and actually ended up breaking 2 fingernails trying to dig down underneath the actual release latch. It's not like I have really long or nice fingernails, either. :frusty:

images

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another short update:

My fitter added heel lifts to eliminate the sideways sliding I was experiencing. While I thought I felt strong and balanced, I guess I was wrong because the heel lifts have certainly upped my game. I'm still hating the stupid hike-release tab. Really, really hating it. I added Booster Straps for just a bit more stiffness, and I've even been racing on them successfully.

My only complaint so far is that the upper portion of the liner seems to be packing out way too quickly. Admittedly I have super narrow ankles, heels, and lower shins, but I'm already on the last latch notch and will have to move the cuff latches inboard one hole if they pack out any more. Seems a weird problem to have at only 28 days.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly