• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: 2-day Women's Performance Ski Camp @Loon

alison wong

Angel Diva
Hi: I came across this last night and I was wondering if anyone has done this at Loon in the past? If so, how was your experience? I've always wanted to do a ski camp, this one is 2 days and I can make it fit into my travel schedule (Jan. 21st and 22nd).

Any info. you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Women's Ski Camp presented by the K2 Ski Alliance
It’s O K2 ski like a girl - in fact it’s highly encouraged! Run by women, for women, these two-day camps feature more than 12 hours of women-to-women coaching, video review, targeted core conditioning and the opportunity to demo the latest skis from K2.

Guided by Loon's expert female coaches and K2 Alliance members, you'll gain the knowledge and confidence to tackle all types of terrain as you cover Loon's 2,100 vertical feet. It's your chance to improve your skills, bond with other women skiers and take your mountain experience to the next level. You will also receive a special gift from K2, and a chance to win a pair of K2 Luv skis – including bindings!

2017 Sessions:
Session 1: Jan. 21-22
Session 2: Mar. 2-3 (Thurs.-Fri.)
Camps also include breakfast, lunch, apres ski and a morning yoga session. Coaching is geared for women 18 years or older and who ski at an intermediate level or above.

2017 Price:
$235 (no ticket included)
$285 (includes two-day lift ticket)

RESERVATIONS
Reserve your spot today! Call us toll-free at 800-229-5666 x5400. Sessions limited to 30 women per session.

CANCELLATION POLICY
By reserving a lesson, you are agreeing to our cancellation policy, which states:
If you cancel up to two days prior to the date of your reservation, you will not be charged. If you cancel one day prior to the date of your reservation, you will be charged in full and you will receive a Loon-only credit in that dollar amount, to be used during the current winter season. If you cancel the day of your reservation, you will be charged in full.

https://www.loonmtn.com/book/camps/womens-performance-camp

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't heard anything about the Loon Women's Clinic. But I gather there is a strong women's club for locals. They even do trips out west.

I think you would like the terrain at Loon.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The two important things the announcement seems to be missing are the student to instructor ratio and the level of skier they are expecting. It seems like a great price, though!

alison wong

Angel Diva
The two important things the announcement seems to be missing are the student to instructor ratio and the level of skier they are expecting. It seems like a great price, though!

Good question about ratio, I will ask.

The announcement said intermediate level or above - is that sufficient ?

I've never done ski camps before, so I'd like to find out as much as I can before I commit.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I missed the level the first time I read the announcement. That should be enough! I think that any time you plunk down $$ for a camp/clinic, it's good to know what you're in for. :smile:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Just got a reply back from Loon - ratio usually 7:1. Intermediate skiers levels 4/5 and up.
I also asked a question about instructor's PSIA level, their reply: "At the time the information for the instructors PSIA is unavailable as we have not assigned specific instructors to the program as of yet. "

So, what do you think?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's a reasonable price and a good (typical for clinics) group ratio. I'm not surprised they're making no commitments about instructor cert levels.

I doubt you'd regret going.

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
I did it! I took the class in January of 2015 and I'm sad that I wasn't able to go back this past January. Thanks for this reminder, I've been intending to look for it for 2017.

It was great. The instructor:student ratio quoted is just about what I experienced. The whole group was large enough that they broke us up into three groups. I was in the middle group; meaning the lower group was slightly below me in ability and the upper group was the most daring. I would also say that the upper group was all a little bit younger in average than my group. We skewed towards 40-ish and they were more in their 30's. (This is just by looking at them, so we can take that for what it's worth.) I was 57.

If you're familiar with Loon we spent most of our time on the easier blacks/tougher blues. I think we did Ripsaw two or three times. Angel street once.

We got lots of great instruction for our level of ability. They filmed us the first day and we viewed the video at lunch; so we could see specifically what the instructors were trying to get us to correct. Each group had an instructor from Loon and a rep from K2. We were allowed/encouraged to demo several different models.

Here is a copy of the note that I sent to Loon after my experience:

"I participated in the K2 Women's Performance Camp on February 26 and 27th and have only good things to say. Wanda, my instructor did a great job of both reading and leading the group. She challenged us, taught us and encouraged us without making anyone apprehensive. Wanda had a smile on her face the entire two days. She pushed us to strengthen our skills, be efficient and enjoy our skiing. I think everyone in our group enjoyed working with her.

The food was also great. We appreciated the variety of selections both at lunch and breakfast. The apres ski was perfect too! Thank you to the catering crew.

The K2 reps were knowledgeable and helpful, in addition to being cheerful and enthusiastic. We all enjoyed their presentations and their help with our lesson was great too.

Thank you for an overall great experience! I hope to be able to do it again next year."

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :smile:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks @marzNC , @Pequenita and @bounceswoosh for your reply.
Special thanks @Mariem for your timely input. After reading your detailed description of the program, I feel encouraged and convinced that it will be a "go" for me. :thumbsup:
I've never been to NH, this Jan trip will be my first visit to the state. I am glad I posted the question on this website and got the info. I needed.

I will be going to Mont Tremblant w/ my friends Jan. 14th.- Jan. 21st. What I will do is, leave my friends few days early, go to NH on Jan. 20th for this 2-day ski camp on Jan. 21st and 22nd.

(Main reason I'd want to do this: I am going on a wk long ski trip to Val D'Isere with my 15 yr. old nephew end of Jan. I wanted to improve a bit before I go. So I can maximize my experience there.)

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's a great price. The value for me in doing these things is to get onto terrain I probably would not do on my own and learn one or two new ways to describe things that I am already working on.

They seem to have a really good cancellation policy, too, so if it turns out the weather is meh in NH and better up north, it looks like you can cancel pretty close to the last minute.

Heh. I'm kind of tempted. I am going to be in NH for another reason that weekend....I really can't bail, though!

alison wong

Angel Diva
Yep, that's my thought process also about bailing out if condition is less than desirable.
Also, Southwest is running a winter sale (ends tonight) now, from Manchester, NH to Baltimore (BWI) only $59 one way. SW has good cancellation policy, I can always cancel my flight and come back with my friends from Mont Tremblant.
If you will be there that wknd., I hope you can spare some time to Loon? It'd be nice to meet up.

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
I hope you enjoy it! I'm looking at the one in February. :smile:

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now y'all have me thinking about the March 1-3 session ( it's a Thurs. and Friday). I need to check what's gong on at work and see if I can take some vacation time then. Anyone else interested?

alison wong

Angel Diva
How was it?

Sorry about my late reply as I just got back from my ski trip in Val D'Isere this afternoon. (trip report to follow).

Anyway, I skied 4 days at Mont tremblant with my friends. I then went to Loon for the 2 day womens ski camp on Jan. 21 and 22.

The ski camp was just ok, I was underwhelmed. I was a bit surprised how young the instructors were (except one who was 57 years old), most are in their 20's, or early 30's at best. During lunch break, I spoke to one of the former attendees. According to her, this is the 3rd year Loon is having this ski camp (sponsored by K2), during the past 2 years, ski instructors were much experienced and older. She was also surprised how young the instructors were this year.

The first day I had an instructor that was in her mid 20's, former ski racer. All she wanted to do was, speed. She told me what my problems were, but unable to explain how to correct or tackle them, I really had hard time relating to her instructions. I changed to a different instructor the second day, an older woman (57 years old). She was a bit better, but I did not get lots of feedback from her. It seems these instructors at this ski camp, mostly have experience teaching kids, but not adults. I don't know if they are PSIA certified? If so, definitely not level 3. Coz my experience with the level 3 instructors at alta and sugarbush were much more competent.
I mentioned to my 2nd day ski instructor about doing a skis circle, she mistaken it as a GS (sigh). I really don't know how knowledgeable they are.

As part of the program they also have someone videotaping your skiing both days and then critiqued your techniques by some higher level instructors. I found the logistics of making the videotape, analyzing the skiing was poorly organized. 35 students in total, break into 4 or 5 groups? I think each group had to wait for a good couple hours in the room for their turns to get critiqued (instead of spending time on the slope).

Plus, it was also very crowded during those 2 days on the slope (likely it is because of the weekend.)

What I found interesting was, they never mentioned PSIA level for this ski camp instructors. Is that normal?

I did not get to demo any K2 skis either because they neither have the model I wanted nor the length I am looking for.

Overall, it was a rather disappointing experience and I can't recommend it to others. Sorry.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@alison wong So sorry it wasn't a good experience. Bad enough that instructors weren't that helpful, and disappointing on top of that about not having good K2 demo options. You seem like you would be a sweet spot of their target market.

They should have had a better selection. I wonder if they overbooked it?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've been on the fence for the March one, plus I'm going through a busy period at work, so your review is timely. I'll save my $ for lessons with a PSIA level 3 instructor when I go out west.

On a more positive note, can't wait to hear about your trip to Val D'Isere!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Sorry to hear about your experience @alison wong ....but also looking forward to the Val d'Isere trip report! :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna