• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. vanhoskier

New Season, New Boots, (feels like) New Me

I too have new boots this season, and I came home from the fitting a tad bit skeptical that they were right for me. But, first day out, they felt great, and I felt well-balanced, a feeling I coveted but didn’t always find in ski boots. After 2 runs, I forgot about my boots, which, I think, is...
  2. vanhoskier

Coalition Snow Bliss and Sweet Salvation (S<O>S)

I had the SOS out the other day here at Ski Santa Fe. Very fun ski and different from any other ski I’ve ever been on, including those of similar width. Burly and damp, but they feel playful yet composed underfoot. I love how they smooth out snow inconsistencies, and how they can pivot...
  3. vanhoskier

Atomic Hawk Ultra 115 S

Yup, Just need to figure out when!!
  4. vanhoskier

Atomic Hawk Ultra 115 S

I was in the Recon 120, very similar to the Anthem Pro. But....it got lost in the move. :eek: So I'm being fitted in a slightly narrower Salomon S Pro Alpha.
  5. vanhoskier

Snowboard Science Fair Proj

My advice as a retired science teacher who used to advise kids in these projects? Limit your variables! Keep your experiment simple enough that no, or few, other variables come into play. For instance, if your variable is wax, then you need to use the same board, same rider, same run, etc...
  6. vanhoskier

Atomic Hawk Ultra 115 S

My bootfitter did say that if one needs a lot of boot modifications, it's harder to do with the XTD version, or with any touring/hybrid boot compared to a full alpine boot. Might be something to consider, depending on the person. @Midlifeaddiction if you want a high performance alpine boot...
  7. vanhoskier

Atomic Hawk Ultra 115 S

My Ultras were still a PITO to get on, even with the heated boot bag. I learned from a recent boot fitting session that even though I have a narrow foot, the shape of my calf and dorsiflexion made it difficult to get my heel seated in the heel pocket, throwing off my balance.
  8. vanhoskier

Taos Ski Week

I believe it is. I haven't done it yet, but apparently there is a "ski off" at the beginning to assign skiers to groups. @Olesya Chornoguz would have lots of details for you!
  9. vanhoskier

Oh yeah, the Blossom is AM77. Whoopsies. I'll be sure to let you know my impressions!
  10. vanhoskier

Any updates on these? I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 180's (last year's peacock pattern) from REI using points. I'm hoping they'll be fun in variable conditions here in NM. Other skis I have: Blossom AM78 in 170, Nordica Santa Ana 93 in 173 (a bit short for me).
  11. vanhoskier

Why do my new skis feel so different from when I demoed??

@MissySki Have you had a chance to figure anything out? That ski was such a fun demo for me, but I could see that a funky tune could make it a handful.
  12. vanhoskier

Demo skis are the same as the skis on your shop’s wall. I believe it would be too costly for a manufacturer to build a separate line of demo skis from the same mold but different topsheets. Usually the shop determines what skis they put on their demo racks; it’s not like the manufacturer sends...
  13. vanhoskier

I’m fairly certain the SP just has a different, more durable topsheet. Construction is the same. It’s possible the demo had a bad tune or different bindings that changed the feel. There is no “demo” version of the Black Pearl. But yes, an edge high tune is awful and sadly too common in factory...
  14. vanhoskier

@MissySki Sorry that your purchase isn’t putting a big smile on your face. My first thought was the demo Marker Squire binding vs. your own binding - delta, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. That CAN make a huge difference. As can the tune. I think you should take your skis into where...
  15. vanhoskier

Blue Mountain PA?

Hi! I’ve been skiing Blue 2-3 times a week (weekday mornings) this winter. I boot up at my car at the Valley Lodge, and walk through the lodge to the snow. The lifts start spinning at 9:00, and I usually get there around 8:30-8:45. I’m able to park very close to the front lodge entrance. Many...
  16. vanhoskier

Big SNOW in NJ 2020

This is very doable for me. I think we are still OK for travel to NJ from PA. I did get a Covid test in order to travel to restricted states and was able to do so while keeping social distance and taking all the precautions. Big Snow should be an easy place for a safe and FUN meetup!
  17. vanhoskier

Our SkiSailor

Her loss will be felt by many. A few things about Skisailor that deserve mention: She had a long career working as an environmentalist for the State of Delaware. She was always game for a beer, and on a cross country trip with her, we visited some “interesting” bars! Laura was not only a...
  18. vanhoskier

Help Needed: Santa Ana 88 vs Black Pearl 88 vs Sheeva 9

I would add Atomic Vantage 80ti to the list. Also the Liberty V76W.
  19. vanhoskier

Subaru Forester/Mazda CX-5

Yes, which is why we would purchase only 1 all electric vehicle and have the other be a hybrid.
  20. vanhoskier

Help Needed: Santa Ana 88 vs Black Pearl 88 vs Sheeva 9

At your size, and given the fact that you can have icy conditions (New Zealand is more like New England conditions, not Western conditions), AND given the fact that you are fairly new to skiing (your edge changes occur via lateral movements, not fore-aft movements as on a snowboard), I would...