• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. former-boarder

Question: Volkl Blaze 86?

I have the Blaze 94 (so not quite the ski y'all are talking about) as my touring ski. I ended up using them in resort a lot last season so I could get used to skiing them and I fell in love. I ended up buying another pair on super discount this fall and had them mounted with a proper alpine...
  2. former-boarder

How many days have you skied so far?

I think I'm at around 30 (sort of lost track) and almost half of those were backcountry days. My goal this season was to become a backcountry skier - and I did it! :) I'll have more spring days ahead as it becomes volcano skiing season here in the PNW.
  3. former-boarder

Learning to ski in mid 40's?

I'm a former snowboarder who learned to ski at age 49, and if I can do it, I think you can, too!
  4. former-boarder

How did *your* day go?

My bindings are GripWalk compatible (they're last years Tyrolia Attack) and I had them set for this boot by the shop. I definitely had built up snow/ice in the lugs of the boot, so I don't think I clicked all the way in. I do have a true touring boot that I would never use with these skis...
  5. former-boarder

How did *your* day go?

Good eye! They do have tech inserts, but they have Grip Walk soles and my alpine bindings are set for them. I'm not sure I like these boots, though, so I'll probably go back to my original alpine boots for in-bounds skiing.
  6. former-boarder

How did *your* day go?

It happened as I was getting onto the lift, so the operator sent it up with the next chair. Luckily, it didn't fall off mid-way up! I have a fair walk from where I usually park to the base area and I put my boots on at the car. Snow inevitably builds up on the bottom of my boots. I just need...
  7. former-boarder

How did *your* day go?

It was a day of firsts: - losing my ski as I got on the lift. Near as I can tell, I didn't clean off the bottom of my boot well enough. These boots have Grip Walk soles, which seem to collect snow. Lesson learned. - getting off the lift with one ski. Luckily this lift has a very easy exit...
  8. former-boarder

I'm such a Jacket Slut!

I just bought another jacket... for its color! But it was only $29.99 before shipping: https://www.steepandcheap.com/stoic-2l-toray-resort-shell-jacket-womens?s=a I bought blue. If it doesn't work out for skiing, I'll wear it around town.
  9. former-boarder

Volkl Blaze 86w

I got the ATK Crest 8 binding because I have a pro deal with Black Diamond. I have yet to tour with them, though, which will be the real test of functionality.
  10. former-boarder

Volkl Blaze 86w

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for your explanation!
  11. former-boarder

Volkl Blaze 86w

How did you decide on the demo Squire bindings? The reason I ask is that I bought the Blaze 94w for a touring ski and mounted them with a lightweight tech binding. Prior to taking them out in the backcountry, I spent some time on them in-bounds. Wow! What a fun ski! So, now I think I need a...
  12. former-boarder

Do you plan to renew your Epic pass?

I have a Stevens Pass midweek pass and since they offered us a $150 discount for next year, I couldn't resist. The GM they brought in partway through the season did a pretty good job turning things around. I'm cautiously optimistic that next season will go okay.
  13. former-boarder

Dye/paint Ski pants?

I've dyed a few synthetic items in the past with some success. The first item was a synthetic puffy and I used a Dharma Trading acid dye and was able to do it in the washing machine. However, I think the puffy shell was nylon, which is supposed to be easier to dye than polyester. What did work...
  14. former-boarder

Fitness walker

I walk for fitness, too. I aim for a couple of hours a couple of times a week (or more when it's not ski and hockey season.) It's gotten to be a habit of sorts, so if I don't get my walk and listen to podcasts time in, I really feel it mentally.
  15. former-boarder

Vail: How it's changed skiing and where it might be going.

According to a patroller friend, they've done some work this week (she lives east of Stevens Pass) and the resort isn't as buried as they'd thought it would be. I think the rain helped with compaction. I'm guessing there is still a lot of work to do, though. If I get to go on Tuesday, I guess...
  16. former-boarder

All mountain skis for petite advanced intermediate skier

I'm a PNW skier - ski mainly Stevens and Snoqualmie. Yesterday at Stevens I skied the Salomon QST Lux 92 (length 153, I'm 5'2"). I loved it! For the first time I could float through the powder off the groomers and the skis handled fine on the groomers.
  17. former-boarder

Do you like to ski alone?

I like both, but I ski a lot on my own. Being a younger retiree, many of my friends are still working, so can't take off mid-week and I don't do weekends because my home resorts are way too crowded then.
  18. former-boarder

Help me buy my first ski!!

I'm your size and also ski in the PNW (mostly Stevens and Snoqualmie Pass). I currently ski the Blizzard Alight 8.0 (80 under foot) and they've been great for groomers. I've taken them off-piste as I've advanced as a skier and they are okay, but they are not good in deep new snow (no float). I...
  19. former-boarder

So what have you missed this season?

I miss my ski bus; I hope it's back next year. It's a combination of missing my ski bus friends (many of whom are older, retired folks who provide me with inspiration) and having easy transportation every week. I've been driving myself up, but it's a lot harder to get the motivation to go when...
  20. former-boarder

NEW Ski Carrying Device!

I've been looking for something like this - thanks for sharing! I have trouble carrying my skis on my shoulder because my arms are short and my skis are heavy.