• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Analisa

Help Needed: Deciding between the Head Total Joy's or Kore 85s

So the big difference between these two is the shape & profile. The Kore line is more soft-snow oriented while the Joy's more hard-snow oriented. Below is a profile with the Kore on top, Joy on bottom/ You can see that the rocker extends further from right to left than the Joy, which helps...
  2. Analisa

New Zipfit Liner Diary

Thanks for posting this! My Zero G liner's a globally recognized POS. Is the neoprene in the toe very thick or does anyone know if it also packs out? I cried through my first ~5-10 tours in the stock liner since I'm maxed out length-wise, but have a fair amount of space in the instep & heel...
  3. Analisa

Pin Binding Recommendations

@Tori_j - not a ton. A standard inbound binding has 30mm of toe elasticity / 16 of heel. Sendy folks looking for more upgrade to a Pivot for 45 toe / 19 heel. They're delivering a more substantial difference in order to consider themselves a differentiated product. The fixed vs. adjustable...
  4. Analisa

How wide should a powder ski be for a short, lightweight skier?

+1 to experimenting with wider skis. I'm also in WA, and split my time between the typical wet Cascade snowpack at Stevens and much drier, colder conditions at Mission. Western WA snow is so much wetter & heavier than continental snowpacks. You have a much easier time turning when you stay on...
  5. Analisa

Shift Bindings Recommendations: Resort --> BC Newbie

So the Shift is 1 specific binding. Armada, Salomon, and Armada are all in the same parent company, and offer the same binding with different colors & branding. They each offer 2 versions, 1 that has a DIN range between 4-10 and the other with a 6-13 range. If your DIN falls in the middle, the...
  6. Analisa

Ah - opposite, elastic travel improves retention. If your boot makes micro-movements, the travel creates tolerance for it & adjusts to it.
  7. Analisa

Not sure, I’ve never really been sensitive to it across bindings
  8. Analisa

@Tori_j - There are 2 big questions that'll help you land on the right binding: 1. Do you want them to meet DIN binding standards? Almost all touring bindings (except the ultra light race ones) have some DIN adjustability, but only some meet DIN tests. So for a DIN of 7, it releases within that...
  9. Analisa

I had that same failure in my Radical ST 2s well after the warranty, and Dynafit sent me a replacement heel tower. I've also seen the piece on sale for $50-60 at backcountry specialty shops if you want something with a faster turn-around.
  10. Analisa

Am I going to regret these on sale DPS Pagoda RP 112?

DPS stays pretty consistent with their shapes and materials. I own an older Yvette 112 Alchemist and had a long term tester loan with the Pagoda Tour 100, and they felt more alike than different, and one just a narrower, lighter, less damp version of the other. In terms of what you're looking...
  11. Analisa

Setup recommendations

Are you looking to cut weight compared to the SA104? The Santa Anas (especially the era where it came in a 161) are pretty burly - in the 1800-1850g range. The 104 Free weighs in at 1760. There's a lot of options between those and the SA Unlimited 93 (1300-1350 in those sizes) and tx93 (1215)...
  12. Analisa

Help Needed: Skis similar to Blizzard Black Pearl

For length, I take a slightly different approach than most online guides. Brands want to plan their sizes to appeal to the majority of women skiers. It maximizes their revenue. If they make their sizes too big or too small for the bell curve of skiers, there's significantly less demand: Now...
  13. Analisa

Help Needed: Skis similar to Blizzard Black Pearl

Before getting into recommendations, I want to talk through what you tried, because I think your demo list is very diverse and I can totally see why you haven't landed on a winner, but I think it'll give us really good clues on where to go next: 1. The Dynastar E Pro 85 is a beginnermediate...
  14. Analisa

Effect of mounting forward from recommended point?

We steer skis by leaning forward and flexing the front half (usually the softer half, but sometimes they're equal) part of the ski. Scooching the mount point forward automatically shifts some of your weight forward. The ski becomes a little easier. Your stance can be a little more upright. If...
  15. Analisa

Tree skis recommendation?

You're looking for an all mountain or freeride ski (90-something, 100-something) that's very twin tailed and a little more progressive in the mount point. That combo makes a ski really surfy and pivot-y and makes it feel "loose." A loose feel makes it really easy to turn quickly, and also makes...
  16. Analisa

Tecnica Mach1 115

@beane Yep, flex ratings on boots are kinda like greens-blues-blacks at resorts. They're mainly rated in comparison to each other, there's no standard, and a blue at one resort could be a green at another. We can test the flex of one plastic against another, but that still doesn't tell the full...
  17. Analisa

Help with AT boot fit!

@WaterGirl When I started touring in 2015, I remember my bootfitter saying "you find the boot that skis the way you want it to and then you figure out fit from there." 2015 was a very different time in ski touring. A lot fewer brands were playing in the space. Even fewer had much R&D to speak...
  18. Analisa

Reality check: as a beginner, how good will I get eventually?

Guarantee that's holding you back! Rental boots are built for the widest common denominator, and women are much more likely to have lower volume feet. They also don't come with a footbed. So when you're pushing on the inside edges of your feet, that space under your arch isn't filled and there's...
  19. Analisa

Reality check: as a beginner, how good will I get eventually?

It can really vary from person to person. Gear (especially boots) can expedite or hinder that process. Do you rent? Or if you own, did you go to a fitter, and what boot model & size did you end up in (and what's your shoe size)? The kinetic chain for skiing goes feet --> boots --> bindings -->...
  20. Analisa

Help with AT boot fit!

Do you mind sharing your street size, the model & size on your Dalbellos, and the size for your Geas? Just trying to rule out any glaring mismatches in last or sizing. Boots can totally get more comfortable over time, either passively or intentionally. I can totally relate - my touring boots...