• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. JO-ski

Overcrowding at Epic and Ikon resorts

Is there anything like official over capacity status on hills that are measured by how many people are lifted to the top? Blue Mountain in Ontario is part of IKON and today was the worst I've ever seen in terms of crowds. I stopped on the side mid-hill and looked up and a swath of people were...
  2. JO-ski

Warmest ski mittens?

I have a pair of Kombi mitts and this is my second season with them. They're pretty warm. Last winter I skied in -20C weather a few times and my hands were still toasty all day. I know they're not super pro brand and I'm not sure I'd recommend going back country or to the Alps or anything with...
  3. JO-ski

Help Needed: Diagnose my control issues?

Yes!!! Let's do it! Will pm you.
  4. JO-ski

Totally agree that any lessons help everyone no matter the level of skill you own! Before I can get my next lesson in, I've just been trying some things from YouTube. I know that it's not the best way to identify problem areas etc, but it's better than nothing. I've actually learned a lot! This...
  5. JO-ski

@former-boarder Welcome to the forum! I am hoping diva instructor can pipe in about the S shapes!
  6. JO-ski

Hi ladies!! Ski season has begun yesterday for me! I started where I ended off last season on a bigger hill, which was great because the runs are longer and wider. I actually read through all the posts on this thread I started last year to try and remember all the advice that was given about my...
  7. JO-ski

Toronto - Ski & Snowboard Show

Thanks Jilly! I'm still hemming and hawing about whether or not I'm going. I am thinking that making a trip to the outlet mall might be a better bet for deals on gear. It sounds like it's not as niche of a show as it may have been before. Still on the hunt for a great ski jacket!
  8. JO-ski

Toronto - Ski & Snowboard Show

Hi ladies, Winter is coming!!! :) A few weeks ago I got an email from one of our local hills announcing that snowmaking is starting in 100 days! Seems far still... We have the Ski & Snowboard trade show coming up in Toronto (Mississauga) on Oct 25 through the weekend...
  9. JO-ski

Thank you everyone. I keep re-watching my video and now I think I look more like a praying mantis.!!! >.< I think that I'm still learning the difference is between bending my knees vs closing my ankles. Is it correct to think that when I'm on flat land in my boots, I can bend my knees to close...
  10. JO-ski

Hey everyone, So the last ski for me this season was last weekend. :( It'll be too warm by the time we are able to find a chance to make it back out this month, so we made it count and went to the biggest hill in our area. So much fun! The runs were 3 times as long as our local hill. We also...
  11. JO-ski

The "little ski revelations" thread

@CrystalRose That is totally me! I am feeling the same as you. I just want to ski, all the time. And I get excited when I conquer a skill and just want to keep going. But I'm learning that it's super helpful to practice what I learned for a little while and get everything into muscle memory...
  12. JO-ski

@santacruz skier @Powgirl @newboots Thanks all! I love skiing at night... Look at the empty hill!
  13. JO-ski

Here's a video of me last night. I can totally see (near the end of the video) that I am leaning towards the hill instead of facing down the hill. Gahhh! Apologies for the blurry video, but feel free to give any comments...
  14. JO-ski

@liquidfeet I know, I have become really into skiing this winter. :) It's really addictive! Right now I'm skiing on 'local' hills that are an hour away from home. Seems like we've been going every other weekend! My hubby is also really into it. The local hills are tame enough for practicing and...
  15. JO-ski

And I'm back, and happy to report... I did my first blue run today! It was more out of necessity rather than by choice. We went up the lift and found out the green run wasn't open. So the only way down was the blue or blacks. :redface: But perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. I knew I had to...
  16. JO-ski

@liquidfeet Thank you for stressing that point. Totally agree that it is difficult to make it feel natural to keep the upper torso quiet and facing downhill at all times. It had been something I'm trying to remind myself and get used to. It's a bit foreign feeling having the feet almost 90...
  17. JO-ski

@echo_NY Sounds good! I will try it. Maybe if I start by having my elbows higher and away from my body, I can feel how they can bring my centre of mass forward. Then I'll try and keep my lower torso loose and let my arms loosen after and not be so stiff. :smile: I will give it a go! I should...
  18. JO-ski

@echo_NY I'm glad you found this thread helpful too. :smile: There are lots of good advice here and I feel like I'm progressing and understanding the mechanics of skiing more and more. It makes me motivated even if I have improving ahead of me. I have been really trying to get that 'J' shape in...
  19. JO-ski

Hi everyone, for those interested in stance. See video below. I thought it was a good one that shows drills to practice stance. I liked watching the skiers' body while they are skiing. They're not moving too fast nor carving too deeply so you can really see the fundamentals. They lean pretty...
  20. JO-ski

@Jilly That would be amazing to have you teach me some!!! Brimacombe is actually closer to me than my regular hill in Barrie. I actually have never been there before. Can I take you up on the offer? Let me PM you.