• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Cascadia

Plus-sized ski gear

YES!! I‘m so in how ever I can help! Interestingly enough I’m starting a 2 year MBA program next week, and one of our final projects is writing a business plan and pitching it to “investors” (faculty) for our final capstone. I think the business plan is a group work but I would be so damn...
  2. Cascadia

Alterra to acquire Crystal

Nooooo! So much for all that Local talk. Buy the resort from Dad and sell it a year later?? What a freaking joke. I know a few folks in the Founders club I’m sure they’re far from thrilled.
  3. Cascadia

Help Needed: chapped skin?

Oh fellow Retin-A user here! Hi! I use both a thick mineral sunscreen (don’t recall if Laroche is mineral based) so that means it’s a physical barrier to the UV and less prone to degrading as fast. I also smear on a thick layer of CeraVe cream from the tub. Spot check with that stuff as some...
  4. Cascadia

Winter'17-'18: Where it was good, and where it was not.

Snoqualmie in WA had a great year. I can only think of one week where it got hit with rain and by the weekend it back to freezing. They’re still sporting over 200” and close on the 14th with a pond skim.
  5. Cascadia

More ski resorts going to RFID

I ski with some founders members at Crystal, I mentioned this last weekend that I missed the RFID and wished Snoqualmie would get it. He said they took it out because they lost money on operating it. Turns out lift ticket papers, metal hangars and scanners are cheaper.
  6. Cascadia

Tipping your ski instructor _ advice?

Gosh. This isn’t even something I’ve ever considered. When I took lessons directly from the mountain’s school I haven’t been overly impressed. I was once paired with a 12 y/o boy when I was 29. The 12 and up adult lessons are not great and often taught by high schoolers. Thinking back I wouldn’t...
  7. Cascadia

Malfunctioning Chair Lift

Just before this came out I read about another roll back accident at Hayak (now Snoqualmie East) on the Dinosaur lift in I think the early 70s https://hyak.net/articles/12_71.html The crazy thing is I’ve later learned that one of the “new” lifts at Hayak is a Franken-lift made of parts from old...
  8. Cascadia

Help Needed: How to move to Blue

Where did you do lessons in the PNW? I’ve been doing ski school up at Snoqualmie for the last 3 years. It seems at all our major WA ski areas the jump from green to blue is terrifying. Like Alpine at Snoqualmie Central. Sometimes I call things Blue Plus and Blue Minus or dark/light blue...
  9. Cascadia

Why do ski resorts close when there's still lots of snow?

I saw that. I’m crossing my fingers but the calendar called it “extended ops” which makes me wonder if they’ll limit it to gondola/green valley. I just jumped up to the blues off Forest Queen last weekend... FINALLY! Took 6 years of snowboarding and 4 years of skiing to get off Queens run and it...
  10. Cascadia

Why do ski resorts close when there's still lots of snow?

Went on closing day at Crystal Mountain last year and they were pretty much out of most food. Mid-mountain lodge had burger patties on a dry bun with a side of Tims jalapeño chips because that’s all that was left. Similar in the bar at the base. I’ve been told when it’s too nice at sea level and...
  11. Cascadia

Help Needed: Time to upgrade beginner ski?

Decided to pull the trigger on the 2018 Temptation 88’s tonight. They’re still 40% off! The ultimate thought process is that I really had the most fun on these skis looking back at my notes and while I also enjoyed the 7 series family and would enjoy the blend of the two in the 2019 Experience...
  12. Cascadia

Plus-sized ski gear

I can’t scream this from the rafters enough. I am thankful for Columbia’s more generous sizing but they’re not the most technical pants I could have, so I often overheat and sweat buckets on the mountain causing migraines from dehydration the day after skiing. I’ve wanted shell gear to layer...
  13. Cascadia

The best ski locks?

We use a motorcycle helmet lock. It has a little thicker cable than the usual ratchet locks you find in the ski stores and still fits in a pocket. The locking mechanism is a carabiner that locks with a spiral cable. Wraps up around BFs snowboard bindings and can get around my skis and the...
  14. Cascadia

Oops double post.
  15. Cascadia

What a demo day at Crystal!! 5” of fresh this morning on top of 13” from yesterday!!! Went to the Rossi booth with every intent of trying the 2019 Experience (temptation replacement) and pretty much tried the entire 7 series as the powder tracked and packed out for the day. Soul 7 for first...
  16. Cascadia

Boyne to buy 6 resorts in 2018 they already operate

News finally hitting in WA. Boyne made a lot of improvements in recent years to Crystal so I hope to see some bigger investments in Snoqualmie where somehow a full day ticket cost $5 more than Crystal this year. On the other hand some seemed thrilled to get Crystal out of the clutches of Boyne...
  17. Cascadia

I had heard of the Aplental demo day, but doesn’t work with my schedule. Also not sure how much terrain I can handle up there yet! Progressing on the Central blues nicely this year. Sturtevants is the one with the progressive sale. 40% starts next week, 50% the following week. Their employees at...
  18. Cascadia

So I’m thinking my short list is: Blizzard BP 98 Rossi Temptation 88 K2 Fulluvit 95 And maaaaybe the Head Wild Joy, I’d like to try it for additional runs. Right now the progressive sale at my favorite shop has started, when it hits 40% next week is when stuff flys out the door they said. 50%...
  19. Cascadia

Who wears shell (uninsulated) pants?

I want shell pants so bad! The coldest day I ever skied in the PNW was maybe 20? Usually it’s 30-40°F and when I’m a student in ski school I’m working up so much sweat my baselayers are soaked. I really really need shell gear but the higher end brands don’t seem to make any that fit me. No pants...
  20. Cascadia

Demoed SO MANY skis today. Ok maybe like 5 with 1-2 runs each until my knees protested and I couldn’t stand that same run anymore. Here’s the low-down: Head Wild Joy 90ish - fun and suuuuuper light weight. First time I could really feel the pivot slip exercise making turns in Alpine Bowl (my...