• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. elemmac

TOTAL ECLIPSE DAY SUGARLOAF & SADDLEBACK, MAINE

I’ll check that out, thanks. I’ll be traveling from Bethel, so deciding if I want to head towards Rangley or towards northern NH (probably Dixville Notch area).
  2. elemmac

TOTAL ECLIPSE DAY SUGARLOAF & SADDLEBACK, MAINE

This is my current thoughts. I was thinking about heading up…but not sure I want to get into the thick crowds (parking, skiing and viewing). Currently leaning towards finding a good hiking trail and trying to avoid the crowds, while still seeing the total eclipse.
  3. elemmac

How wide of a powder ski should I demo?

With that in mind…Armada ARW VJJ 116, or maybe a Bent Chet 110 (set back to the “traditional” mount point) come to mind. Or a Sheeva 11, based on your love for the Sheeva 9s.
  4. elemmac

How wide of a powder ski should I demo?

I think it depends on your appetite for owning a ski that might get used 1-2 times a year (and occasionally not get used at all on the east coast). Or are you looking for something that gets used more than that. There are lots of capable, floaty skis in the 100-106 range that you’ll get more use...
  5. elemmac

New to Total Joy: snowplowing????????

Two gleamer guesses... One: tune could be off. By the way you describe your problems I'm not sure if this is what I would jump to. Normally poor tunes result in someone either not being able to get on their edges (ski feel squirrely and unstable), or not being able to get off of their edges...
  6. elemmac

Gap under binding …normal?

I was just about to reply…”can you get a second opinion from another shop?”. Haha. If there are two shops that are saying it’s normal…I’d run with it.
  7. elemmac

Gap under binding …normal?

That doesn’t look right to me…I’d take them back to whoever mounted them…
  8. elemmac

Ski areas not on any multi passes

Storm Skiing put out a list of all the ski areas in the U.S. I had a similar question a while back and found this list. You can download it and easily drop it into an Excel file, and filter for what you're looking for. So, to answer your question...I filtered out all "pass affiliations" that...
  9. elemmac

Edging Assistance - Nordica Santa Ana 93's

I'd start with a tune...that is the easiest thing to rule out. Tell the shop guy when you drop them off that they "feel base high" and have been difficult to get on edge. Ask for a full tune, including a base grind to make sure they're completely flat.
  10. elemmac

Small Backpack Recommendation

My 12L is the women's version...I'm not sure if the women's and men's 12L size are/were different, but that could definitely make a difference.
  11. elemmac

Small Backpack Recommendation

Yup. I find the 12L very comfortable...The waist belt since right on my hipbones, pretty perfectly. I have a pretty average women's torso length at about 16". I've had mine for 5+ years now...so I'm not sure how much it's changed since the version I have.
  12. elemmac

Leg gaiters over snowboard pants when skiing?

I generally patch after the fact rather than mitigate the problem before it happens. Tenacious tape, NoSo patches, or just a quick stitch if it's a clean cut. I recently bought some canvas patch material for a pair of shoes...I wonder if you could patch up a pair of ski pants with it for more...
  13. elemmac

Question: All-inclusive lodging options

Every place that I’ve gone with breakfast and dinner included has been outside of the US…Europe, Japan, and Chile (Portillo). I will say, I love setting up trips this way. No stress of cooking, or needing to pick restaurants and go out. I haven’t been in the winter…but went mountain biking in...
  14. elemmac

Is skiing as expensive as we think?

I do think there’s a lot of good advice that he could have given…for instance… - If you live in certain areas, there are options for low cost day trips. - Maybe if he gave some tips on how to find these mountains instead of making fun of people for not knowing about them. - Seasonal equipment...
  15. elemmac

Is skiing as expensive as we think?

My thoughts exactly. I generally like reading Storm Skiing's articles, but this one rubs me the wrong way. He comes off as a condescending a-hole. I do agree with him that the article that he quotes and calls a "poorly reasoned and hyperbolic shitpile of an article", is dramatic in many ways...
  16. elemmac

Advice on ski bags -- roller or not

My last trip (two weeks, no laundry) I managed to pack 3 snowboards (regular, split, and powder board), two sets of bindings, and my snowboard boots in my roller bag...plus a couple other small odds and ends...I came in just under 50 lbs. My large backpack got checked with the roller bag. It's...
  17. elemmac

Advice on ski bags -- roller or not

I've done it, but it takes some planning and discipline. If I'm staying at an AirBnb (or other condo/house/etc) that has laundry, I take full advantage. Or on some trips, I've opted to handwash as needed. I almost always pack items in my ski (or snowboard) bag though...soft sided, double roller...
  18. elemmac

What is Difference b/n Men and Women's Version of Same Ski? (e.g., Rossi Exp 82 Basalt)

I am fairly certain, in this example, the only difference is the binding. Even though they market the lengths to be different...they're not. As mentioned above, they also market the men's as a "more advanced" ski. It's all about what sells the best. Men tend to oversell their abilities, whereas...
  19. elemmac

Ski Bibs: Yay or nay?

Unless they’ve changed it in the past couple years (my Foxy bibs are probably 3 years old), it’s not a full drop for the back of the pants. The left side goes all the way up, and does attach to the front for fully dropping that side. But the right, the zipper doesn’t go all the way to the top...
  20. elemmac

Pin Binding Recommendations

I'm not really sure if this will be helpful information, but I'll throw it out there. I'm a very casual tourer. Minimal long climbs and days in the backcountry. I very much favor the downhill performance over lightweight gear. So, with that being said, I use the Marker Kingpins. They have...