• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. MaineSkiLady

Celestial Magic 4/8/24

Great reddit post by (now-famous) photographer Jamie Walter of Sugarloaf got these incredible shots: "My initial goal was to get the skier directly in front of the eclipse or as close to it as possible so I could use a tighter focal length (I had a 600mm rented, along with my 100-400mm with...
  2. MaineSkiLady

Celestial Magic 4/8/24

Even the BBC picked up on it: https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20240411-the-us-state-where-you-could-ski-under-the-eclipse Sugarloaf and Saddleback, Maine for the win : )
  3. MaineSkiLady

Celestial Magic 4/8/24

DS and camping friends (lot e) said it was backed up until 8:30 p.m. (when they finally left). Indeed, a long, long day. For them, it started on Saturday afternoon! We were elsewhere, our route home was Route 17 (one of the main roads south from Rangeley), and it was 5 mph for MILES. Haha...
  4. MaineSkiLady

Celestial Magic 4/8/24

And the traffic afterward was "wicked crazy!" (OMG, for sure.)
  5. MaineSkiLady

Celestial Magic 4/8/24

Or, as some in New England might say, "It was wicked cool." :becky:
  6. MaineSkiLady

Celestial Magic 4/8/24

Oops! Didn't realize this was an ongoing thread elsewhere. Duh. "Blinded by the Light?"
  7. MaineSkiLady

Celestial Magic 4/8/24

Maine lucked out with some of the best eclipse viewing sky/weather in the US. Running out of superlatives to describe this experience... Another big one crossed off the bucket list. First pic, atop Sugarloaf, taken by my son. Second, from a friend's lakeside deck.
  8. MaineSkiLady

Remember Ski Ballet?

Indeed. Was a huge-selling ski. The ballet version said "ballet" at the tail. I had Mark III, blue, 175 or 180.
  9. MaineSkiLady

Remember Ski Ballet?

It was a big deal in the 70's. Olin (a ski manufacturer many of you may not have ever heard of) made a dedicated ballet ski - 150. Orange.
  10. MaineSkiLady

Remember Ski Ballet?

Observe his edges. Amazing. 1992 Olympics, Albertville, France
  11. MaineSkiLady

I won the Southwest "Solarbration" Sweepstakes!

His problem is that absolutely NOTHING seems to be direct for him anymore. It seems like anywhere he needs to go requires THREE flight legs. PITA.
  12. MaineSkiLady

^^^ This. It was an obsession with the traveling engineers at DH's former job, haha. This was right around the time of inception of the frequent flyer programs, mid 1980's. They could figure out how to go "around the world" for maximum points: USA>Europe>Asia>USA - all on company funds (AND...
  13. MaineSkiLady

TOTAL ECLIPSE DAY SUGARLOAF & SADDLEBACK, MAINE

There will be traffic everywhere. A good hiking trail in totality path would be Bald Mountain outside of Oquossoc. I will be in that general region, as we have friends nearby there.
  14. MaineSkiLady

DH’s (incessant) frequent travel years (10 of them overseas) are long behind us now (happily). The Mileage Plus Money + Miles option has been around since his travel days, I believe. He traveled so much (out of ORD) that he was Mileage Plus Premier Executive 1K, which tripled every traveled...
  15. MaineSkiLady

Indeed - and infuriating. A route he regularly flew on SWA for almost 10 years. American Airlines for the win....<sigh> (pricier, but....AVAILABLE)
  16. MaineSkiLady

Yes to the bags inclusion. I always thought that might eventually vanish. As to routes, it's perplexing. My son is the frequent traveler in my family, and he was always able to get from west coast to approximately here (if sometimes 160 miles distant) - and back. Then last fall, he could get...
  17. MaineSkiLady

Well, they're starting to nickel and dime with "Early Bird" -- seems to cost more every year? Then the constant upgrade offers. They're kind of "on" now to what other carriers are doing. And now, a lot of routes seem to have been "dashed" (pandemic?) - and ones we regularly used in the past. ???
  18. MaineSkiLady

:yahoo:@Jilly- !! Easy-peasy! I'm worried about driving 40 miles to friends' house. Could be big traffic issues.
  19. MaineSkiLady

TOTAL ECLIPSE DAY SUGARLOAF & SADDLEBACK, MAINE

Nor have I, and this is my home mountain. Worst case scenario would be having to park along the access road, but this is an annual occurrence with Reggae Fest - OR a big powder dump (i.e., last Sunday). Resort has an excellent shuttle service and picks people up/drops off at very regular...
  20. MaineSkiLady

This market as well. : ( Times change...