• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. va_deb

Dog sitters

Agree that asking Facebook friends and Next Door for local recs is the way to go. We have 3 dogs and I pay someone who I knew from a prior life to come to our house and stay overnight with them. Sometimes it costs more than our overnight accommodations to wherever we're traveling, but so worth...
  2. va_deb

Tahoe trip bargain skiing reports, part 1

That's great that you can cut back but still take appointments, @SnowHot. Nice to work in a much more laid back shop.
  3. va_deb

P.S. For anyone reading this: If you're going to be in Tahoe and need boots, or boot tweaks, go to Blue Zone in Truckee - North Tahoe and see Tricia aka @SnowHot and her husband Phil. They are there most weekends. As my signature says, custom footbeds are a game-changer -- along with boots...
  4. va_deb

Oh wow, too funny! I'm in Alexandria too -- Fairfax County, not Old Town. There are about 6 or Divas from this area. We should plan a May or June get together to talk about our trips and experiences this ski season. I'll see if I can revive an old thread; a group of us got together pre ski...
  5. va_deb

@LKillick You will looooove it! Glad you got a great AirBnB bargain, too! Where are you from in Virginia, and where do you usually ski back East?
  6. va_deb

I'm soooo far overdue on these. Putting a placeholder here to remind myself to actually do them, and to offer to be a resource for anyone who is planning a trip there. I've visited Tahoe 3 times from the East Coast, and I'm happy to answer questions. Here are some quick tips: If you are skiing...
  7. va_deb

Input wanted re: Colorado resorts

He went to Beaver Creek and really enjoyed it. Thanks again!
  8. va_deb

Grizzly Bear Question. Also Idaho Question.

@sibhusky, I give your family a ton of credit for not wanting to have the bear get shot, and for understanding that she was simply following her instincts. Props to them!
  9. va_deb

Grizzly Bear Question. Also Idaho Question.

Thanks for sharing everyone, and for all the education. In our immediate area bear sightings are extremely rare, but not unheard of a few hours away where we ski in WV and in Central VA. The first time we went to North Lake Tahoe I was fascinated by the bear info and warnings. I still kinda...
  10. va_deb

Ski essentials contest- please vote for us

Let us know. Happy to vote!
  11. va_deb

I have decided to retire - SO EXCITED!

How exciting, @mustski! Congrats! What is your closest ski area in Cali? If you ever want to do a house swap and come to the Washington DC area to be a tourist, do museums and historical sites, or enjoy the Virginia countryside and a change of seasons, please PM me. :smile:
  12. va_deb

What Does the Dog tell you about the Guy?

IMO men who own dogs have a leg up on non-dog owners. You know that they are responsible and selfless enough to care for something other than themselves, and more than likely they are at least somewhat physically active. When I was single I was especially curious about how a guy decided on a...
  13. va_deb

What Does the Dog tell you about the Guy?

I think so, although I’m admittedly biased. Many of y’all know that I’m an unapologetic dog lover, especially rescue and shelter mutts (or purebreds obtained via a breed rescue group). The mixier the mix, the more intriguing the dog is to me — though purebreds can be great too. (That said...
  14. va_deb

Help Needed: Diagnose my control issues?

Hi @JO-ski! Just fwiw, I was having similar issues to you in terms of lack of control. And I have had multiple lessons over several seasons. Game changer for me, which I actually need to post about, was finally getting the right boot for my kinda hard to fit feet. My beginner/intermediate...
  15. va_deb

Question about Tahoe Conditions. Where to Ski?

Sorry about Pugski, @SallyCat. I love Tricia and Phil and the people there FWIW, and found Pugski folks incredibly helpful when I was planning my last trip there. And of course Divas here were great with sharing insights well. I’m emabarrased to say that I am now overdue on two Tahoe trip...
  16. va_deb

Glad the info was helpful, @SallyCat. Lol, I feel like I should be an East Coast Lake Tahoe ski area ambassador! I edited my post to add a bit more detail. If the roads are bad you may want to see if you could find someone from Pugski to carpool with to Mt. Rose if you can find someone who has...
  17. va_deb

So excited for you, @SallyCat! Tahoe skiing is night and day compared to the conditions we deal with. Soooo much better! You’re smart to rent skis. If you want to save $ I recommend checking out Bobo’s in Reno, which is close to the airport and on the way to Boreal. You may want to call ahead...
  18. va_deb

Thanks a bunch, @Little Lightning. I passed along your feedback. He said that judging from the luggage carousel he isn’t the only one who decided CO was a better bet for skiing conditions. ;-) He made really good time and landed early, so he is leaning toward Beaver Creek. Thanks again!
  19. va_deb

Hi y’all! Sorry I’ve been offline more than on lately. Crazy busy with work and personal things and not the best ski season locally. :-( So, my better half has more vacation days than I do and has MCP, Epic and Max passes. We’re losing what little snow we had in the Mid A to high temps and...
  20. va_deb

Roundtop Demo Day Madness!

Sorry that it was a rough demo day. Bad conditions + squirrelly boots = less than stellar. I demoed some of those in Tahoe 2017 spring conditions and I’m beating myself up for not doing my trip report and reviews right when I came back. All I remember is that I was very meh on both Santa Anas...