• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. G

Why do ski resorts close when there's still lots of snow?

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that all this recent snow means WP will extend their season - in the past they've kept the Mary Jane lifts running if they still had good coverage.
  2. G

Hestra Women's Handcuffs and Hestra Kids Handcuffs

I add leashes to all my gloves with paracord and a cow hitch as a slider. No pieces to break and practically free. Also, I use colored cord on my otherwise black gloves which makes them easier to identify. https://www.animatedknots.com/cow/index.php
  3. G

Help with next ski choice please ladies!

Welcome! I think I have those exact same skis, but shorter, and what I eventually realized was that in addition to needing a longer ski (they only came up to my chin) I also needed a stiffer ski, but I'm shorter and a little heavier so YMMV. I do find that skis stiffer than my old K2s hold onto...
  4. G

Fun Thought: The Infinite Run

There are "magic carpet" indoor slopes, where the ground moves up and you stay stationary allowing you to ski until you're tired. But I've heard mixed reviews of how closely it resembles skiing on snow.
  5. G

Why is your home resort your home resort?

I call Winter Park my home mountain because it's where my dad and his friends go, and since none of my friends ski I started out skiing with them several years ago - and until this season most of my ski days were spent with my dad. It isn't the closest resort but it's closer than most, and the...
  6. G

Alterra moves ahead (Mammoth, Squaw, Deer Valley, former Intrawest)

I'm almost on the edge of my seat waiting to see if there's an RMSP equivalent. I don't need a pass with 20 different mountains, I'm not going to travel to 20 different mountains, and I'm not going to pay extra to get 17 mountains that I'll never ski. I don't get enough time off work to do many...
  7. G

Items labelled "unisex" or gendered that crack you up

I enjoyed this article too: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/02/05/doritos-is-developing-lady-friendly-chips-because-apparently-you-should-never-hear-a-woman-crunch/
  8. G

Ski Poles - old fashioned hard plastic grip --

If you need to pole on a flat the strap can help if you put your hands through correctly, the two ends should come up from under your hand, between the thumb and index finger. Then you're pushing down on the strap more and relying less on your grip.
  9. G

Warmest ski gloves

I never wear mittens, ever, I hate them, but I love Gordini gloves. My dad complained about cold hands for years despite trying other more expensive brands so I recommended he try a pair with down and he loves them. I just picked up a down pair on clearance but haven't used them yet, my other...
  10. G

Bunny slope conquered- What next?

Galloping goose on a powder day? Tough kid! Glad you all had fun on your trip.
  11. G

Any older women here doing CrossFit???

My biggest issue with CrossFit is the attitude that their way is the only way. Seriously, after speaking with some people who've joined it really does sound like a cult. However I also know a few 70 year olds who seem to like it. They do a program that's been adjusted for seniors and should be...
  12. G

Bunny slope conquered- What next?

My suggestion for Steamboat is to start at the Preview lift (bunny hill) for a warm up. Hit it early before the classes get going. Then, if you take the Christie Peak Express up and get off at the mid point you'll be just a little higher up, an easy stepping stone for a run but a much larger...
  13. G

Ski Length Conundrum

I'm 5'1 and my skis are 152 and 153 cm. I don't know the Samba but in general, 152 might be a little on the short side but still reasonable for your height and skill. And really, you should ski the ski you're most comfortable on. Longer isn't necessarily better.
  14. G

reviving elderly skis

FWIW, when my neighbors gave me a pair of Salomons about the same age usage I kept the bindings, which were (and still are) in good shape. They've released in a couple of falls and never when they shouldn't have. The skis may be old and narrow but I still have a lot of fun with them on hard pack!
  15. G

Question: Rubber ski straps - how many and where?

I use double sided velcro that's long enough it can go in between the skis (where they make contact near the tips) then wrap around at least once since I also have issues carrying skis without looking like a idiot, or at least rubbing the bases together. No one has ever offered me a free strap...
  16. G

Tips and techniques for getting up from a fall?

My method for getting up on flats is to "gather myself up", that is, to sort of crouch down while lying down (if that makes sense). Then, with my skis across the fall line I dig the edges in a bit and don't really push so much as rotate myself up... I'm having a hard time thinking of the right...
  17. G

Coworking Spaces at Ski Resorts: Good Idea or Bad?

Is it a question of not being able to disconnect from work while skiing, or not being able to disconnect from skiing while working?
  18. G

Adjusting to high altitude, over 6000 ft

If someone is feeling sick and nauseous because of altitude, Coke can help. Something about the water, sugar, syrup, carbonation and caffeine combined. Other sodas might help as well but original (non-diet) Coke is specifically recommended.
  19. G

Best gear for brutally cold weather

When it's really cold I wear my wool sweater under my coat. I don't know if it's the extra air, the wool, or if it's just psychological but it feels like it makes a big difference. And for me keeping my core warm makes a big difference to how warm my limbs are. I also use hand warmers, a...
  20. G

How many of these "old school" ski areas have you skied?

Does Echo Mountain count? 1 (slow) lift, park right next to the lodge, and I think one of the owners/managers/I-don't-know-for-sure remembers me from Christie's Sports in September, which strikes me as old fashioned service but could just be a reflection on the size of the operation.