• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Olesya Chornoguz

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

I love Alchemy of Souls! One of my favorite TV shows. :smile:
  2. Olesya Chornoguz

What to watch? (need streaming series suggestions)

I didn't realize there are 2 versions. I saw the Tencent version banner on Rakuten Viki and was going to add it my watch list. Now I will watch it on Viki. Also, Viki has the best subtitles IMHO, I tried watching some of the same Chinese dramas on Netflix and on Viki and the...
  3. Olesya Chornoguz

Heated goggles

yep they perform similar for me :) glad you like em!
  4. Olesya Chornoguz

Diva West @ Steamboat, Trip Report and Photos

Thank you, this is really helpful. I wonder - maybe Mahogany Ridge area would really be fun on a powder day. I am very interested to check it out some time in the next few years.
  5. Olesya Chornoguz

yeah, definitely that area has some more challenging terrain too, it's not all nice and open if I remember correctly. @teppaz Steamboat has a lot of easier mellow glades on the Sunshine and Morningside area. Great fun on a powder day IMHO, though Morningside is flat towards the bottom so if...
  6. Olesya Chornoguz

How does Mahogany chair terrain compare to Taos advanced/expert terrain? Curious for the future ski trips. BTW great pictures and conditions look good. Thank you for sharing everyone!
  7. Olesya Chornoguz

Scientists finally know why people get more colds and flu in winter!

Yes, they were clear about that it is in vitro research. I wanted to reiterate it. I will not be wearing a mask outdoors, it is rare to be in crowded settings outdoors and I don't think I have ever gotten sick from being outdoors, even around other people. I think most transmission happens...
  8. Olesya Chornoguz

Scientists finally know why people get more colds and flu in winter!

Thank you for sharing @TNtoTaos - very interesting. I went to read the original research article abstract in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. I am a Ph.D. immunologist working in cancer immunology with 10+ years of experience post Ph.D. so I was very curious to understand a bit...
  9. Olesya Chornoguz

Heated goggles

They have a table for VLT for every lens, when you click on individual goggles it's the 2nd picture under the main one. https://tempestoptics.com/shop-goggles#!/Ski-Goggle-Red-Mirror-Blk-Gray-Strap/p/588697447/category=159382024 I got Rose, Yellow, Clear (for occasional night skiing) and Red...
  10. Olesya Chornoguz

Heated goggles

Here is an update on heated goggles. The successor of Abom is Tempest optics, their goggles are an improved (IMHO) version of Abom. https://tempestoptics.com/ I bought 2 pairs just in case, skied 1 ski day on a warmer spring-like ski day yesterday, was sweating somewhat and had no fogging at...
  11. Olesya Chornoguz

Going Stockli: Can't decide Montero AS, AW vs Nela 80?

I own Montero AX and love them. I think it's a very versatile ski for am 80 mm wide ski, I can ski them well on ice and on soft spring snow piles and bumps. They are so much fun because easy and intuitive to ski in my opinion. They like to carve but they are not punishing like a stiffer...
  12. Olesya Chornoguz

Alyeska

Christy, I have extensively talked to the operator staff of the kennel (Alaskan Husky Adventures) we went for dog sledding and it's not like what you described above. At least at this particular kennel. This is a kennel dogs from which that race in Iditarod. They care for their dogs very much...
  13. Olesya Chornoguz

Alyeska

As for dog sledding I think if the dog sledding operator has good reviews online they are probably good. We went with Alaska Husky Adventures https://akhusky.dog/ in Willow and they were great - DH and I enjoyed it a lot. I think @snow cat and her sister did dog sledding with them also. We went...
  14. Olesya Chornoguz

Alyeska

Yes, exactly majority of the blues are mellow. One of the visits I was there I skied with my husband who is a somewhat timid intermediate who is afraid of heights, and he was fine on all of the blue runs I took him at Alyeska. There was one blue run that is a narrow cat track to go around the...
  15. Olesya Chornoguz

Alyeska

I have been to Snow City cafe and Moose's Tooth and confirm that both have great food. The 49th State Brewery is on the list of the next visit to AK. :)
  16. Olesya Chornoguz

Alyeska

I just PM you with some more info. I meant to also post in a thread that while Alyeska is small, it's still fun and also there is a lot to do in the area if one gets bored skiing a smallish ski area. My recommendation to anyone going to Alyeska for the first time take a day off from skiing for...
  17. Olesya Chornoguz

Alyeska

I think the blues there are mellow, I mean I like steeps and Taos is one of my very favorite mountains, so it's all relative. I would say blue slopes at Alyeska are comparable to blue at Breckinridge maybe? Does that help? If I remember correctly you are from CO so that's why I brought up Breck...
  18. Olesya Chornoguz

Alyeska

Alyeska is not a big ski resort but is a lot of fun, IMHO. The lower mountain has plenty of easy blues and greens and then the upper mountain is a big bowl basically, where it 2-3 groomed paths down and then various off piste segments that bump up. There is also some hike to/traverse to terrain...
  19. Olesya Chornoguz

Taos Ski Week

@Michelle55 February is a safer bet in terms of snow coverage and off piste skiing. I love Taos dearly, but it is not the best ski area for early season skiing. Starting February or even mid-February it could have great conditions though. Yes, my experience is that Taos instructors are amazing...
  20. Olesya Chornoguz

Taos Ski Week

Hi @Michelle55 - the thread that @marzNC has shared has a lot of information on Taos ski weeks and is a great resource. The ski week is indeed for all levels. The ski is both Sunday and Monday as pointed out above. You come to the line up and instructors have skiers go one at a time then...