• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Leila Zucker

Holy crap! What's wrong with people?

Okay now, being a old-time LARPer, I can tell you these groups are far LESS likely to do something like this. We are not survivalists trying to replicate reality. In most cases in a LARP, you hand a piece of paper to the other player when they cross your imaginary trip line to tell them what has...
  2. Leila Zucker

Question: Why does my face get puffy at altitude?

Definitely planning to go to the Wilderness Medicine conference at Big Sky at some point (mostly because I want to go back to Big Sky). Yup, diamox/acetazoamide is sulfa based, so that explains your rash. I'm having fun on this forum!
  3. Leila Zucker

I was there after Carla left but before Maren Dunn arrived. It was one of the best months of my life (and I've had a pretty fantastic life so far). Dr. Daniels is a terrific doc as well as an all-around nice guy. I'm definitely planning to head back to Big Sky for more skiing and to take him out...
  4. Leila Zucker

250 twice a day is a perfectly reasonable dose, but you are more likely to experience the side effects you mentioned. I recommend the lowest dose that works. I second that local clinics will certainly recognize and treat the symptoms, or your doctor can call a prescription in to a local...
  5. Leila Zucker

Colorado Ski Pass Info for 2013 Season.

Thanks for the tip! (Though I doubt I would be in Colorado long enough to use more than 6 days at Steamboat, I'll definitely look into it).
  6. Leila Zucker

Aspirin will only help with headache. I believe the study in BMJ (British Medical Journal) was circa 1998 and had subjects take one 325mg tablet one hour before arrival at elevation and repeating every 4 hours for a total of 3 doses. To treat the puffiness, you need acetazolamide 125mg every...
  7. Leila Zucker

Related word game

Browncoat (any Firefly/Serenity fans out there? Okay, I'll stop now)
  8. Leila Zucker

No one really knows the mechanism. Altitude sickness is caused by hypoxia, which upregulates prostaglandins, which leads to sympathetic stimulation and pain. Probably aspirin blocks this. There have been a few small placebo controlled studies that show that it works, but that's about it. I say...
  9. Leila Zucker

Watching SLC Snow Reports

marzNC, I'm not surprised you would know more than the salespeople! I'm doing snowdances for you for Utah! (may or may not work as I can't dance, but hey, it can't hurt, can it?) I also have had fantastic finds on VRBO including beautiful chalet 5 minutes from Sierra at Tahoe and a gorgeous...
  10. Leila Zucker

Related word game

Redshirt (sorry, just watched Galaxy Quest again--too geeky?)
  11. Leila Zucker

Easter dump forecast for Alps=ski dilemma!

I prefer to regret the things I do rather than the things I didn't do. Just sayin'.
  12. Leila Zucker

Watching SLC Snow Reports

I never thought I would do a timeshare. My husband sold 'em briefly when he was in college. When he did it, you had to buy a specific week at a specific resort. He did really well at it because he would tell people the truth. If you are the sort who likes to pick up at the last minute and go...
  13. Leila Zucker

Proximal Tibia Fracture

Anytime a surgeon says you don't need surgery, you know you're going to be okay! :smile: ER doc aka ER/DR
  14. Leila Zucker

Related word game

Muy (Spanish for "very")
  15. Leila Zucker

This is most likely Edema of Altitude, which you can think of as a mild form of Acute Mountain Sickness. No treatment is necessary, but if it is really bothering you, you can get your doctor to prescribe acetazolamide, which should help. You get better at night or when you go home because you...
  16. Leila Zucker

More idiots!

I was at Big Sky for a month last year, and have to say everyone seemed very good about looking out for others including checking on fallen skiers, picking up after yardsales, and giving everyone lots of elbow room. The scary thing about Big Sky is that you can be on a run and not see anyone...
  17. Leila Zucker

More idiots!

When I was still an intermediate skier I was skiing toward a lift at Squaw Valley that was across a long flat area, so I had built up a bit of speed (not much, as I was still relatively new to the sport). A little kid (I dunno, 10 or so) skied across the front of my skis knocking me over...
  18. Leila Zucker

Why do people take their dogs skiing?

The cutest labrador puppy was wandering around the parking lot at Sierra at Tahoe this February. I had to get out of the car and hold him so he wouldn't run behind the car while we were trying to pull out. We figured he must have been left in a car with the windows cracked and he/she? (I didn't...
  19. Leila Zucker

Question: ski length for short overweight skier?

HeeHee...bring it on, I can take it! I've gotta sort through the last year of gear posts before I'd post any new questions as I suspect they have all been answered already. I'm planning to book a week (Sat-Sun) at Steamboat (waffling about the 3 weeks between MLK Jr. and President's Days). I'm...