• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Serafina

Aspen: Clearly Not My Scene

I'm all for a glass of champagne at the mountain. I'm not at all for spraying the champagne all over a crowd. I'm also not for conspicuous consumption. That yellow-label Veuve is $60 if you buy it retail from Wine.com, and $150 at the mountain after mark-up, and if you're getting it just to...
  2. Serafina

Then there's this charming scene. Found that when I went looking into this thing from the article about the champagne. Holy smokes.
  3. Serafina

WOW!
  4. Serafina

That's what I hear, that the skiing there is really sweet if you can stomach the fabulous clientele. The only time people can spray a hundred-dollar bottle of champagne without advertising themselves as a complete d-bag is in the locker room after winning a national professional sports...
  5. Serafina

I don't ski there either, not when it's like that. I remember that day, I was working at home and periodically checking in on the mountain's webcams just for a hit of pure, delicious schadenfreude. We've been getting 10K-12K consistently on Saturdays, and if I ski on Saturday, I'm on the...
  6. Serafina

Celebs on the snow, from Bloomberg: Most of the champagne ends up on the floor The article mentions as an aside that on the busiest day of the season so far Aspen had 4,000 skiers on the mountain. I can't tell if they mean only Aspen mountain, or the whole multi-mountain resort. Aspen Mtn by...
  7. Serafina

Speed Limits For Skiers?

10-20 mph on the blues?!?! Are we supposed to be sideslipping down them to make those rates of speed? ROFL!
  8. Serafina

First time buyer: Best way to pick a pair of skis?

My powder skis are awesome on slush, powder, and bumps because they're fat enough to ride over the top, and rockered on both ends so that the tails aren't snagging in piles of stuff, and because they're soft. They're difficult to get up on edge and they don't grip on icy groomers worth a darn...
  9. Serafina

Vermont over Easter?

Mansfield has a huge snow pack, as do Jay and Burke. Those might be your best bets. SVT will be a bust. If the potential storm this week doesn't materialize, I think we're going to see a bunch of those resorts closing soon.
  10. Serafina

How do you learn to catch a little air?

I took a private lesson for this exact purpose. It was a most valuable investment. I still don't huck or hit the features, but I'm comfortable separating from the surface on the backside of a roller when I hit it with some speed, and I actively seek out little bumps and stuff to launch on (in...
  11. Serafina

First time buyer: Best way to pick a pair of skis?

Problem with doing demos now is that we're (finally) well into spring skiing conditions, and the ski that you want for these conditions is probably not going to be the ski that you want for the majority of ski season. What I suggest is doing another season rental next year, get a longer ski...
  12. Serafina

Reflections on the 2018/2019 season

If you've got a place you ski with any frequency, season passes are the way to go. Takes some of the pressure off to maximize the value of your lift ticket. My accomplishments: 1. Hit 50mph (clocked, not an app) and was totally comfortable at that speed. I don't think I could have done very...
  13. Serafina

Ski Wall Mount Rack

I treat mine to a storage wax, let them air out for a week to make sure they're good and dry, and then I bag them or tube them and store them flat on the floor under the guest bed or behind the sofa, where they won't be exposed to weird temperature fluctuations. In the winter, I store them on...
  14. Serafina

what counts as fast?

I go with skier type iii+ because anything else gives me a din that will cause my skis to pre-release. I didn't have to do that until I turned 50. This "turn 50 and lose a DIN" thing is pure bull$$it. As far as fast goes, it's 100% a function of 1. your skill 2. your skis 3. snow...
  15. Serafina

Vermont Skiing 2018-2019

That's my home mountain. I was out yesterday (absolutely premium spring skiing, the best of the best) and today (not so much, due to it getting warm yesterday afternoon and really cold last night). I went out at 10am this morning, and that was a little early for things to have softened up. Was...
  16. Serafina

Expensive taste

heheh...I just googled those stormriders and realized that they share a price point with all of my skis. One of my husband's buddies gave us a hard time for insisting that we never put the car into Drive unless the ski rack is locked. Said "Oh, it's going to stay closed, don't worry so much."...
  17. Serafina

Heavy, thick snow

This was after the storm rolled in, pretty much the same view right out the same window. Bowls? Crater? Volcano? What volcano? :D
  18. Serafina

Heavy, thick snow

This was out the window of our room at the lodge, on the first day. It was also the last time we saw the crater, as a storm moved in and covered it up. The avy warnings had been hoisted, so there wasn't any skiing above the timber line (or not much above it, at least). IDK what that strange...
  19. Serafina

Heavy, thick snow

I LOVED skiing Timberline! I had wondered if skiing on a volcano would be any different than skiing elsewhere, and it really was. I usually ski in New England, and our mountains are extremely old, 400 million years, and have really weathered into soft low shapes. I've also skied the Rockies...
  20. Serafina

My demo day or a lesson about what you want what you really really want

That's great that you found a pair of skis you love! But...we're still in midwinter conditions in the northeast, and I don't think these are the skis you are going to want for spring skiing or powder. You really do need something fatter for that stuff. I know the fatter skis are harder to...