• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Kim Kircher

Stevens Pass avalanche

I spoke to a friend of mine who used to patrol at Stevens. The gate was open and the patrol had not gotten any results inbounds that morning during avalanche control. Yes, the NWAC had posted the hazard as high, but they were skiing one at a time, using best practices, and carrying all the right...
  2. Kim Kircher

Ankle sprain--NOT

Yikes. Hopefully it heals fast. In general sprains are worse than fractures (I'm a ski patroller and EMT and see quite a few of both). Moral of the story here is to get an x-ray right away.
  3. Kim Kircher

Prettiest skis?

Ditto Serafina. I love my Rossi S7s: they rip powder, can hold on the groom and, just like having a pedicure, give me a little jolt of joy every time I look at my feet.
  4. Kim Kircher

Book Review: The Next 15 Minutes

Good for her! When my stepdaughter learned to ski, my own quads were killing me just teaching her the snowplow. It's a great way to get them started young building their skier's quads.
  5. Kim Kircher

What a small world Ski Bunny! I will actually be at Boyne Mt. in January for a book signing. Would love to connect with another Diva. I just read a winter forecast for Northern Michigan. Looks like you all are expecting a harsh winter. Good news for skiers.
  6. Kim Kircher

Thanks Skibum4ever. Hope you enjoy it!
  7. Kim Kircher

Thanks all. And yes John is doing well. He just had his yearly post-transplant checkup (it's been 3 years). The cancer hasn't come back and he feels better than he has in years. We are so blessed.
  8. Kim Kircher

Yea. Thanks for the shoutout Vicki. I'm thrilled that you liked the book. I've been in the midst of a worldwind of promotion. You, Wendy, must know what that's all about. As a newbie it feels exciting and new, and yet my fingers are crossed that the book actually sells. What a far cry from ski...
  9. Kim Kircher

Your preferred avalanche transceiver?

I use the Pieps DSP, and I swear by it. I'm a professional ski patroller, and wear my beacon every day, and so this is an important piece of equipment. I've played around with Trackers, but always come back to my Pieps. I like the size of Pieps. I don't use the strap it comes with, instead I put...
  10. Kim Kircher

Is the ski/snowboard industry sexist?

A few seasons back a ski patroller friend of mine wanted to be a Lange girl. She was a finalist and asked me to vote for her (you could actually go to the Lange website and "vote" for your favorite). My first instinct was to tell her why images such as the Lange girl weren't good for gals like...
  11. Kim Kircher

Amazing Avalanche video

After I posted this video on my blog www.kimkircher.com, the victim, Jeff, commented there. He was using both an avalung and a BCA floatation system. The guides had also dug previous pits. It's pretty scary! Jeff is a lucky guy.
  12. Kim Kircher

2011 Closing Dates

Looking forward to another TWO MONTHS of skiing. Today we picked up 6 inches of powder. It's winter up here, folks!
  13. Kim Kircher

What's your poison? Er...powder ski of choice?

I have a pair of Salomon S7s, which are great for powder. Unlike the Pontoons, which are good ONLY in pow, the S7s are a little more versatile, able to hold their own on more packed snow. While they won't win any slalom races or anything, they still have a nice feel. These skis run a bit short...
  14. Kim Kircher

As We Are ~ a Girls Ski Movie

Can't wait to see this movie. Very stoked!
  15. Kim Kircher

Alta, March 11-13

Looks like you had beautiful conditions! I love Alta.
  16. Kim Kircher

What do I do with their daughter?

Sounds like this one is the father's responsibility. If he's not willing to ride/ski with her, he should put her in a lesson, where she can learn the fun of snowboarding without feeling like she's keeping others back. This is sad, because, as a female skier, I want to promote snowsports...
  17. Kim Kircher

Pissed off ski patrollers

Whatever you want to call him, he didn't exactly make our day. Having said that, as a ski patroller, I most often find appreciative, wonderful people on the slopes. Just yesterday a man walked up to me and said "thank you for all your hard work." It's guests like this that make it all...
  18. Kim Kircher

Christy, Yes, we do have some recourse. Certainly, we don't have to sell Marcus a lift ticket ever again. Perhaps this public chastisement has been enough. After a week of searching for a missing skier, also a former ski patroller and considered "one of us", we all felt a little violated by...
  19. Kim Kircher

A slide path is a known avalanche path. Any slope greater than 35 degrees can be considered a slide path. In the case of my blog post, I was referring to a known avalanche path, Kempers, that has produced some very large avalanches.
  20. Kim Kircher

Wow. Thanks for all the support ladies. We patrollers have a hard enough job without all the extra tomfoolery.