• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. laine

Homewood, CA business model change

My avatar image is from a Homewood spring day back around the mid/late 2000s.... The spring skiing there was fabulous when they had snow.
  2. laine

Homewood, CA business model change

I owned a house in Tahoma for a period of time (2008-2014). When we first got the house, Homewood had a joint pass with Alpine - and we'd go to Alpine on Saturdays and Homewood on Sundays. Even after that pass ended, we got HW passes for another year or two b/c it was always the place to go to...
  3. laine

Question: Whats your set up? AT/ Backcountry

@MissySki - Sorry, I missed that too. I'm 5'1", and think my torso and legs are proportionate, and got the XS/S. (And will actually be selling it. Long story, but looks like my short backcountry experiment will be ending.)
  4. laine

I had only suggested the FB group as a local place to ask if anyone was selling a beacon. I thought it might be more reliable than eBay for that. I agree that a class is the best bet. I took Intro to Backcountry through ASI at The Backcountry shop in Truckee. I was signed up for Avy 1, but it...
  5. laine

@merrydog - You're from SF? Are you a member of the FB group San Francisco Backcountry Skiers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1150152011668361 You might be able to ask if anyone there is selling a beacon. That way, if it's used - you can connect with the owner locally and test it out.
  6. laine

Got the burgundy pack. Also got a small one for resort ski days (and hikes and other stuff). I appreciate the torso sizing. And yes, the pink shovel was on sale! Oh, and I picked up a rubbery-textured dinner placemat at Daiso for $1.50 as a super cheap, thin pad for sitting for lunch.
  7. laine

I really just want to whine. I finally got all my gear, and now we have a shelter-in-place order until April 7, so I can't use any of it. I did test my boots out at the resort where I demo'ed some touring skis last month, so at least I used those. I'm hoping Tahoe opens back up in mid-April and...
  8. laine

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

Not changing my ski plans (still going to Tahoe on the weekends), but per my company - I'm WFH through the end of March.
  9. laine

Is coronavirus changing your ski plans?

I live in Oakland and commute on public transportation (Bart) to SF every day. When I get in, I wash my hands. But I did that before coronavirus. I volunteer at a dog shelter with random members of the public walking in and out. I am headed to Tahoe (Squaw/Alpine) this weekend. I'm not changing...
  10. laine

AT Gear Research

I ordered the Elan Ripstick 94 and assuming it arrives on time and I can get it mounted, I am doing a tour on 3/13. I demo'ed the 102 (94 not avail to demo) on piste and loved how it skied and it's definitely light enough for touring. I'll let you know how it goes!
  11. laine

Advice on Intuition liners and boot sizing

Do you live anywhere need a bootfitter? I definitely recommend going to see a professional to get a proper fitting. They would give the best advice. That said, a smaller boot can always get a toe-punch if there's a hot spot, but you can't make a boot that's too big much smaller. (For reference...
  12. laine

@Pequenita @kiranbot @angelaskis @Rainbow Jenny - I'll likely be at Squaw/Alpine next weekend - and prob on Thu, Mar 12 - and then again that weekend. Message me if any of you will be there.
  13. laine

@kiranbot and @angelaskis - I just ordered the Elan Ripstick 94s from SkiEssentials. I got the 154 (I'm 5'1", 155 cm) and they should arrive next Wednesday. I also have bindings and skins on order, so will need to get everything mounted the next time I head up to Tahoe, likely next weekend. I...
  14. laine

@Analisa - gotcha - and that's fine re: compatibility, since I'm gonna go with a straight tech binding. I did google elastic travel (and found this helpful - https://blisterreview.com/at-binding-reviews/bindings-201). So does that mean I should look at bindings more aligned to the Dynafit...
  15. laine

@Analisa - this post is two years old - do your thoughts on bindings still stand? Anyone else have thoughts on bindings? (Not buying anything yet, just researching.) Not interested in the track or Shift bindings - these will be touring-only skis. I was looking at the Dynafit ST Radical and the...
  16. laine

Renoun Earhart ski

Gotta say, I know it shouldn't matter, but this is their best-looking ski from a design aesthetic.
  17. laine

Wow, @angelaskis - that's so kind! Sending you a DM. I took the Intro class through Alpine Sports International (ASI) which is run out of The Backcountry in Truckee. Because I was the only person in the class, I'm not sure my experience was indicative of a regular class, but I really enjoyed it...
  18. laine

Insulated miniskirts? Is there any sense in that?

@WaterGirl - that skirt is really cute! You wear it skinning and skiing? In terms of the small vs. medium - can I ask what jeans size you wear? I have the Marmot Cheeky Pants - I think they're about 4 years old. They came with an insulated zip-out pair of shorts, which are awesome for keeping...
  19. laine

I realized I can rent the new Line Pandora 94 at Squaw (with my alpine boots), so at least I can see how they ski. The Yvette 112 is definitely wider than I want to go, though I will look to demo some DPS skis from Alpenglow. (I just hope I don't like them, since they are so expensive - though...
  20. laine

Thanks @WaterGirl. I did just have to google "sastrugi". I don't really have (m)any partners for this. I have some friends who did the Intro and Avy class a few years ago, but they haven't gone back out for a few years, so I wouldn't go alone with them based on their experience. I figure I'll...