• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. marzNC

Tips for advanced skiers over 50 planning to ski until 80+

A bit of inspiration from the Grey Wolf Ski Club for Wolf Creek Ski Area in southeast Colorado. It's from their newsletter. One of the older members is 95 and still skiing. The club has over 1000 members, and not all of them are locals. Membership dues are $15 and the qualifying age is 65+...
  2. marzNC

Closing day tragedy

Thanks for making the decision to share the sad news. RIP.
  3. marzNC

Wachusett 23/24

How many Fridays would you need for the Bronze pass to make sense over Steel? Noticed that the savings for a Senior Bronze pass is only $20. Bigger savings for seniors for Silver and Gold. I wonder if that encourages some seniors to go skiing with grandchildren who are still in school at some...
  4. marzNC

Best Women's Ski Clinics?

The past few seasons, the Women's Ski Week at Taos has been the last week of February. TSV typically doesn't announce plans for the ski season until late summer. The ski school staff go back to work full-time in September after Labor Day.
  5. marzNC

I've found that even within the same region, there is a variety of approaches when it comes to lessons. Pays to remember that working on improving fundamental skills doesn't require a large resort or even the best snow. A smaller ski area/resort can have a good ski school with enough very...
  6. marzNC

As I've sampled destination resorts in the west in the last decade, I've been surprised to find that there are resorts that offer group lessons at all abilities levels. For instance, Winter Park has lessons for people who want to improve their skiing on Black or Double Black terrain. I know...
  7. marzNC

I realize you were asking @IKam, but I'll answer because I arranged the private lesson for her and my good friend, JF, who has had a few private lessons with the same instructor at Alta in recent years. Arthur has spent his winters teaching at Alta for about 20 years, after becoming PSIA Level...
  8. marzNC

Good question. As with lessons for any sport, it depends a lot on the personality of the instructor and the student(s). Most of the instructors I've worked with at destination resorts have been men. That works fine for me as a life-long tomboy. I also got a lot out of an advanced Taos...
  9. marzNC

Days you’ve been on snow 2023-2024

Overall total for 2023-24 came out 65 days, with 43 out west. I left Alta Lodge on April 20 after adding 13 days of skiing during my usual late season stay. Mostly skied at Alta, but also spent a day at Snowbird using the MCP, as well as a few mornings in Mineral Basin using Ikon to cross over...
  10. marzNC

TR Alta April 4-19, 2024, spring skiing with a powder storm

Thanks for the details. A retired friend from the DC area had a good time at the Wildcat "party" after getting an invitation from someone he knew who had a parking reservation. Closing the Wildcat lift a couple hours early makes sense. As was announced on the Alta website in early April.
  11. marzNC

Bill is the last to leave Alta. He let me know this morning that the Wildcat lot was almost full by 8:45am MT. His car is loaded to start the drive back to Albuquerque after he skis for a few hours. It stayed warm overnight so I don't expect him to ski much past noon. Yesterday I joined my...
  12. marzNC

Utah LCC/BCC April 2024 conditions - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

Snowbird also has a party planned for this afternoon. Six of Snowbird's 12 lifts will be running, including the two in Mineral Basin and the Peruvian Tunnel (access from the front size to MB). The Gad Valley area closed early for major construction projects for the Mid-Gad food service...
  13. marzNC

The partying for Closing Day at Alta on April 21 will start early today. There wasn't a hard freeze overnight. Once the Wildcat parking lot fills up this morning, it will be closed for the day. Parking reservations were required for April 21, even though they were not required for April...
  14. marzNC

Had a good last day of the trip and the season. It was warmer overnight than the night before, but cloudy during the day so there was good snow to be found all day long. (For temperature history, check LCC April Conditions thread.). I started in Mineral Basin and found the groomers off Baldy...
  15. marzNC

Today at Alta/Snowbird was an example of the importance of paying attention to the overnight temps as well as the forecasted daytime temps. It didn't nearly as cold overnight compared to the night before. The Baldy groomers in Mineral Basin were already soft by 9:30am. Yesterday Catherine's...
  16. marzNC

Having an Ikon pass means that dropping into Mineral Basin at Snowbird via the gate at the top of the Sugarloaf lift is a good way to spend the morning. Ikon works as an Alta/Snowbird combo pass. MB gets sun early so the the snow softens before most of the terrain at Alta. The front side of...
  17. marzNC

Another chance meeting of Divas at Alf's happened on Monday. Pictures were taken thanks to @floridakeysskibum. :smile: @Tennessee , floridakeysskibum, MarzNC MarzNC, JF from NC, floridakeysskibum
  18. marzNC

So glad we happened to be taking a break at Alf's around the same time mid-morning! Usually when you have seen me at Alta in April, it's been a quick "hello" in a lift line. @Bookworm , @dloveski , @floridakeysskibum , MarzNC
  19. marzNC

Closing Day at Alta comes complete with plenty of snow and assorted traditions. While most people who show up are locals, there are also regulars from out-of-state who are around too. Most of the party-type activity is on the Collins side, especially in the Wildcat parking lot and on the...
  20. marzNC

Pass details and pricing 24/ 25- Ikon, Indy, Epic, MCP etc

Reminders are being sent to people who had the Mountain Collective Pass (MCP) in 2023-24 and haven't renewed yet for 2024-25. The price is $605, with a bonus day at one resort. The price will probably go up in late April or mid-May. For people thinking about using the MCP for Diva West at Alta...