• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. deannatoby

What are you most looking forward to in the '16/'17 season?

I am looking forward to figuring out where I'm going to ski in the first place. My home mountain will be closed for the second year.
  2. deannatoby

tell me stories about learning to ski bumps

OK, but clear this up. In my lessons we worked on a flat ski. BUT, if you have a FLAT ski on a sloped bump, don't you actually end up using some edge? That was what our teacher said after I questioned him. You keep a flat ski, but the slope of the bump actually uses the edge as opposed to...
  3. deannatoby

I'm officially a skipper now!

Yea, I think that's a GREAT idea. Trust me, with two pre-puberty boys around we've got plenty of water-power we could bring along. Most of our club members are...full of wisdom. (That's sounds better than "really old.") That means I'll probably have to be careful who's in the crosshairs...
  4. deannatoby

Duh. The video is 30 SECONDS of sailing, not 30 minutes! Good grief. Got that one wrong. I wouldn't ask anybody to sit through half an hour of me sailing! 30 SECONDS for the video!
  5. deannatoby

Had to upload the video to YouTube anyway to get it here. It's about 30 minutes of sailing in a brisk breeze, maybe 12 knots.
  6. deannatoby

@Skisailor , I bought a REAL boat in August. I am so excited! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE sailing her and wish I could do it everyday. Our kids love it, too. I expect her to be a part of the family even past my grandchildren. She was a wooden boat built in the 50's. In 2011 the Wooden Boat School...
  7. deannatoby

Good grief, snow addict. Your picture/avatar/whatever it's called is amazing! Unbelievable! You look like your standing tall, too. :-D
  8. deannatoby

I thought I would never learn bumps becuase of my very late start in skiing and my love of my knees as they are. But, I had a teacher take us in during a lesson, and I quickly figured out skiing bumps keeps me warm on a single digit day in windy New England. That's something to write home...
  9. deannatoby

Anyone score a great end of season deal?

And, while we're talking about return policies, Garnet Hill is a company out of NH that sells clothes. Half my closet is probably GH. And, they have the same amazing return policy. Anytime. If you buy something that ends up performing badly, you can return it at any time. Love the clothes...
  10. deannatoby

LL Bean has always had big sizing, unfortunately. The 850 down comes in XXS. I have the XS and the XXS. Before menopause I was a size 0 or 2. Now post-menopause I'm a 2 for sure. the XS is not super tight-fitting and might be an awkward layer under a trim shell. Would be fine under a...
  11. deannatoby

What we can all learn from Lindsey Vonn's bare butt.

OK, going to share a joke. Some of you won't think it's funny....but if you try hard you just might. I thought I was hilarious. Here in the harbor we have Mens' Sailing on Fridays and Ladies' Sailing on Tuesdays. The ladies put the men to shame. We always sail unless the weather is bad...
  12. deannatoby

That's changing, too. They have without doubt reduced their discounts for DealFlyer subscribers. They used to do 35% discounts every few days. For a long time now they've only been doing at most 25% discounts. I've also heard that their regular prices won't be as low, either. Their regular...
  13. deannatoby

Just got off the phone with Sierra Trading Post, and I'm kind of sad! As far as deals at the end of the season goes, they don't seem like a good option anymore for me. They have always been one of my favorite catalogue retailers because of their customer service and return policy, and today I...
  14. deannatoby

Old broken boots--add to never-decaying landfill?

My old boots are truly unusable. I never want to have them on my feet again. Never. Broken buckle, too, so I can't in good conscience give them away to charity. I saw a thread from 2014 about keeping old boots around as back-ups, etc. Not going to happen. I feel terribly guilty dumping...
  15. deannatoby

Go Big or Go Home.

There's something about those films that can make us feel like we've been cheated at life. At least I've felt that way. Those guys are the ones REALLY living. But you're right. You don't see the hours of training, HIKING to get to those places before a production company pays for a...
  16. deannatoby

Need quick instructor recs, A basin or Copper

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tweaked my knee ( minor strain) my last day at a basin so I couldn't do a lesson at copper. :frusty: I hope there is a next time next year. Will refer to these names!
  17. deannatoby

Congrats Skisailor!!

Well, skisailor, I should hire you! My stupid hands are still all wrong and right at my sides. Green slope stuff, for sure! Let me know if you ever moonlight in Maine! Big huge congratulations!
  18. deannatoby

Go Big or Go Home.

Nobody's mentioned what it's like to see this stuff done on film. With good editing and an exciting score, almost anyone who watches the extreme movies in any sport wishes they could do the same thing. I've been mesmerized by the stupid Go Pro promotional film at their display in a sports...
  19. deannatoby

Reporting injuries/deaths

Lenawee lift. He was on the chutes way to the left that you have to do the long traverse to get to. My instructor said that generally the traverse itself keeps that area expert-only. Badge of honor, as long as your ankles can be repaired enough so that you can ski well again! I got the...
  20. deannatoby

Reporting injuries/deaths

Lenawee lift. He was on the chutes way to the left that you have to do the long traverse to get to. My instructor said that generally the traverse itself keeps that area expert-only. Badge of honor, as long as your ankles can be repaired enough so that you can ski well again! I got the...