• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. D

Raynaud's sufferers unite

I had a moderate case of Raynaud's for a few years and then I came up with something that made a HUGE difference in my symptoms. It occured to me that if Raynauds is an exaggerated vasoconstriction to cold that maybe I could train my body to have a different reaction to cold. Apparently when...
  2. D

Contest: KULKEA Boot Bag Giveaway

They have glow in the dark zipper pulls!
  3. D

Hurricane Sandy

A couple of months ago we had a four foot diameter tree come down. Looking at remnants of the tree, it should have come down straight onto our house, specifically my FIL's bedroom where he was sleeping. It must have been the hand of God that brushed it to the side, where the branches only...
  4. D

Hurricane Sandy

Huh, the rain and wind just died down here in northern Delaware. The map shows the eye is passing over us. Hopefully this is the only time in my life I will be in the center of a hurricane. Power has flickered but hasn't gone out yet. I expect to lose power for several days. We have a...
  5. D

Has anyone ever lived in a van for the winter?

It's not the same but I spent weekend nights sleeping in the back of my Toyota Corolla Hatchback. My family were weekend ski instructors at Goldmine. We spent every Friday and Saturday night during ski season living in a travel trailer in the ski town. We had electricity and water. My...
  6. D

How fast do skiers go?

One of the nice things about the sensation of speed is that it is user dependent. When trying to go fast, everyone goes as fast as they dare and they therefore feel fast. They are up to or past their level of comfort. Sure, if they look up they might see little kids zipping past them but if...
  7. D

How fast do skiers go?

I don't want to ski 75 mph. :scared:
  8. D

A Skier's Personal History

^Downunder Diva, even though I am very happy with my life, I am totally jealous of YOUR life. :drool: Maybe not the ACL part but everything else...
  9. D

Raynaud's sufferers unite

I developed it about 5 years ago although it has improved a lot from the first miserable year. One of the things I found has helped is to not let my fingers get cold in the first place. Once I touch something very cold my fingers blanch out white and I don't have circulation return until I...
  10. D

Martial Arts

I watched your kata, you are very good! Your kata, and most of those I watched on your website, is a lot longer than our forms, which we call hyung. Kenpo is a style that looks very appealing! I'm all about hands! I am an inline skater so I have very strong kicks but I have limited...
  11. D

Martial Arts

I would think your knowledge from your previous martial arts styles would help you in a new style even though the techniques are different. Put all the techniques together in a self defense situation and...:fear: I watched some Kenpo videos on Youtube. Is there much kicking involved? What...
  12. D

Martial Arts

I'm in Tang Soo Do which is a more traditional version of TKD. It is Korean. I chose it because it was the type of martial art that was offered in the studio at our local strip mall. I wanted to sign my then 5 year old son up, walked in and liked how they were interacting with the kids. My...
  13. D

Martial Arts

I will be testing for my second degree black belt later this year. For my first degree test I was, at 50, the oldest woman there. I was prepared for a much more difficult test! I take two classes and attend one "open mat" session a week at my studio. More importantly, I spend another 5ish...
  14. D

Aging Well Through Exercise

I'm not surprised that there physical benefits from exercising with increasing age. I'm only 51 but I can clearly feel them. I also think that there other advantages and disadvantages about exercising "later" in life. Throughout my youth, until grad school, I was very active. I hurt my back...
  15. D

Staying home while the family skis...

Yep! That day with Vickie was The Best Ski Day ever. <happy sigh> We were inspired and confident. If one of us hesitated, the other would say that we could do it and indeed we could. Actually, that day was a seminal day for my life in general. I've carried a lot of that confidence and...
  16. D

DH down

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I hope that the damage is minimal. I can only imagine how frustrated you must feel and how concerned you are about your husband. Her belligerent attitude and attempt to ski away shows she is a jerk. To answer your questions, with some fear that...
  17. D

Getting through the off season

Another inline skater!!! Where do you skate in SoCal? What kind of skates? Where do you ski? I spent my first 40 years in SoCal. I grew up in Cypress and after college (UC Davis) moved to the San Gorgonio Pass area. Growing up, we skied Snow Summit and then Goldmine, now called Bear...
  18. D

Staying home while the family skis...

(My apologies in advance for the self centered rambling. It's one of those days) My kids have a three day weekend so I planned an extended-family ski trip to Okemo. Unfortunately, I've been ill with bronchitis for the past two weeks. I decided to stay home since I can't even bring in...
  19. D

How cold is too cold to ski?

I've often wondered myself how cold is too cold. I think that the coldest I've skied in was single digits not including the wind chill. I realize that isn't really cold although the first time I tried that I was miserable because my fingers were so cold so I went into the gear shop, bought down...