• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. RuthB

Best Women's Ski Clinics?

I've done the Jackson Hole one and it was one of the best that I have ever done.
  2. RuthB

Flying with skis - ANA

Forgot to add. All of the ground staff that we have dealt with in Japan have been lovely.
  3. RuthB

Flying with skis - ANA

We've not flown with ANA, but have flown into and out of Japan with ski bags which had ski clothing inside in additionto skis, poles etc and we had no problems. The two things you need to pay attention to are weight, keep it under 23kg or 50lb, and even more importantly the dimensions listed on...
  4. RuthB

Skinnier Front Side Skis - Searching

I just spent a couple of weeks with demo skis and skied both the Fischer Curv GT 2024 model and the RC4 Worldcup SC. I enjoyed both and if I was to sum up the experience the RC4 Worldcup SC is a demanding ski that will punish you if you relax or get sloppy, while possible to take it through...
  5. RuthB

Game time! Guess the resort?

And we have a winner
  6. RuthB

Next up
  7. RuthB

I've never been to Alta, but that lift is etched in my mind after seeing this
  8. RuthB

Alta?
  9. RuthB

How do I ski on scraped ice?

I am guessing that you are talking about Hubers or Upper Fascination at Mt Hutt, which is chronically icy from compacted wet snow and brutal winds. There are a couple of tricks with navigating the top section with grace, in addition to the great advice you've had above. I'd add to keep your...
  10. RuthB

Will I grow to love my skis or are they just not for me?

I am firmly in the camp that the right skis for you are the ones that make you smile, give you confidence and make you want to ski. They are the first ones you would grab if you could grab any ski you could. From your description, for you the yumi's seem to meet these criteria. Personally I...
  11. RuthB

A season in Australia

Okay, I can' comment on Australian ski fields having never skied there. But I can offer a New Zealand perspective that might be relevant and some things to consider Ski seasons are short in Australia and New Zealand (July, August, September) June is like November in the Northern Hemisphere and...
  12. RuthB

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort: Private Instructor recommendation?

I second @snoWYmonkey. If she is not available then Ernie Rodriguez is fabulous. When our son was 10 he had about 10 days with Ernie freeriding all over the mountain. Ernie took him and the two other boys in their group on the headwall hike but did a brief introduction to back country equipment...
  13. RuthB

Question: What skis to take to Jackson Hole?

A couple more random thoughts - not related specifically to skiing. 1) packing cubes - Japanese hotel /apartment rooms are very small compared to North American hotels and condo's and storage is limited to non-existent. So rather than being able to open our bags flat on the floor we had to...
  14. RuthB

@snoWYmonkey bring the 110's. Life is too short to ski on skis that you don't love. And you'll be out the gates skiing. Yes105 is the widest that I have - it's the only ski that I have since we have to fly for 99% of our skiing. They are RMU apostles and I think that I just don't love them. I'm...
  15. RuthB

@snoWYmonkey we're just finishing up the ski portion of our trip to Japan. We've based our skiing in Hokkaido, split between Niseko and Furano. I was skiing on 105's and wished that I had narrower more all round skis with me. The powder up here is super light - no whipped cream bow wave when you...
  16. RuthB

Fast or pretty?

You are definitely a pretty skier, or my definition of one anyway. For me it is pretty and fast. I'm okay with the term pretty. I think that it includes being strong and agressive but has the extra dimensions of fluidity, effortlessness and elegance. Much as a good ballerina makes things look...
  17. RuthB

Question: Best Ski Bag for air travel?

We use Dakine Split Rollers like this one. The oldest one is heading for 20 years old and has been on more than 100 planes in its lifetime and is still going strong. Very little wear on the bag or wheels and the different compartments are brilliant for packing. The bag is well balanced for...
  18. RuthB

Uphill arm lift: good drill or bad habit?

I have been following your thread but have resisted the urge to add any comments since I am neither an instructor nor trained in movement analysis. And you've got some very experienced and wise people going you feedback. But looking at your videos and reading the thread I wonder whether you...
  19. RuthB

Sled ride! (No injury)

It might not be a cheap solution but it might be worth considering getting some high impact sports specific glasses, ie ones with lenses and frames that are designed to minimise potential injury and damage in an accident. There is a goggle thread on pugski that mentioned that you should avoid...
  20. RuthB

Who has skied Revelstoke?

We're on day four today. It started snowing Sunday as all the holiday crowds left. It has snowed 20+ cm per day over the last two days. Things are filling in very nicely. At the base the snow falling has been pretty wet bordering on rain at times - but it is building the base. Up top it is...