• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Yumi - sizing help :/

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started skiing last season and while I can’t carve 100% consistently, I’m not doing too badly and am comfortable on intermediate runs. I have skid one black just fine. Part of my carving problem is actually due to boots that were sold too big but that’s another issue... I def need help with skis. The boots are going to fitters.

I’m 5’4.5” and 146lb currently on 147cm 76mm underfoot Salomon Ciras (2017). These things want to turn on their own but they’re not too stable. I need longer and I want wider w camber and rocker. I’ve demo’d some recently and really liked the Nordica Astral but at 158cm I felt nervous and like it was getting away from me. That’s an 11cm jump! I tried the Volkl Yumi in 154 and fell in love. More rockered than the Astral so likely skis shorter...so part of me wants to try the 161cm. I’m unsure if I can demo again this season.

Please help :/ My fiancé is an excellent skier and has flip flopped with his advice on 154 vs 161. He wants me to play it safe, but at the same time, will the 161 really ski shorter? I’m also losing weight so next season I won’t be 146. Maybe the 154s are best? I want a ski that will help me advance that I can ride for the next few years or more and ski the heck out of on blacks.

mustski

Angel Diva
Welcome! At this stage, a little short is better. It will make it easier to progress. If you fell in love on the 154s, buy that size and go have fun! You’ll be glad you did.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m 5’4.5” and 146lb currently on 147cm 76mm underfoot Salomon Ciras (2017). These things want to turn on their own but they’re not too stable. I need longer and I want wider w camber and rocker. I’ve demo’d some recently and really liked the Nordica Astral but at 158cm I felt nervous and like it was getting away from me. That’s an 11cm jump! I tried the Volkl Yumi in 154 and fell in love. More rockered than the Astral so likely skis shorter...so part of me wants to try the 161cm. I’m unsure if I can demo again this season.

Please help :/ My fiancé is an excellent skier and has flip flopped with his advice on 154 vs 161. He wants me to play it safe, but at the same time, will the 161 really ski shorter? I’m also losing weight so next season I won’t be 146. Maybe the 154s are best? I want a ski that will help me advance that I can ride for the next few years or more and ski the heck out of on blacks.
The general guideline is that if you demo skis and they make you happy, then that's probably worth more than any advice from people who have never seen you ski.

For what it's worth, I liked the Yumi @147 but I'm an older advanced skier who is petite, so several inches shorter and lighter than you. Going with the 154 seems perfectly reasonable. I recently had a grand time on the BP88 @145, which I thought was going to be too short. I also enjoyed the Vantage 85 @157 in the northeast last week. My own all-mountain skis are 159cm. Not suggesting those skis for you. Just trying to say that ski length is only a part of what makes skis appropriate for a given skier.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would take into consideration how much you get out and how quickly you're progressing. I made a 10cm jump 2 years ago which felt like way more due to the amount of rocker between the old & new skis and I definitely had Bambi legs for a few days and wondered what sort of mistake I had made, but skiing once or twice a week, I got used to them pretty quickly and was able to ski them for over a season before needing to jump another size.

I wouldn't fret too much over losing weight. You might drop pounds, but you probably won't drop much strength, or depending on your workouts, it could be the opposite.

Volkl's size chart would put someone at your height at a 154 for intermediate and a 161 for advanced. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if you're looking for longevity, ski 10-12+ days a season, the 161s might be a better bet. It may just take a day or two on some easier slopes getting used to the extra length.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The general guideline is that if you demo skis and they make you happy, then that's probably worth more than any advice from people who have never seen you ski.

For what it's worth, I liked the Yumi @147 but I'm an older advanced skier who is petite, so several inches shorter and lighter than you. Going with the 154 seems perfectly reasonable. I recently had a grand time on the BP88 @145, which I thought was going to be too short. I also enjoyed the Vantage 85 @157 in the northeast last week. My own all-mountain skis are 159cm. Not suggesting those skis for you. Just trying to say that ski length is only a part of what makes skis appropriate for a given skier.

I have definitely heard that demo’ing is the best. I want to demo the 161, but I’ll have to take work off to do it which I’ll likely do lol. One thing I’m worried about with the 154 is that it’ll be too short in time and that I’ll be yearning for a longer ski again mid-next season. I get out a lot and I’ve been progressing quickly. On the other hand, I’m afraid of going too long and not being able to control the ski. I think I need to get my mits on the longer ski and take it for a spin...that being said, I do know the 154s felt good :smile:

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tha
I would take into consideration how much you get out and how quickly you're progressing. I made a 10cm jump 2 years ago which felt like way more due to the amount of rocker between the old & new skis and I definitely had Bambi legs for a few days and wondered what sort of mistake I had made, but skiing once or twice a week, I got used to them pretty quickly and was able to ski them for over a season before needing to jump another size.

I wouldn't fret too much over losing weight. You might drop pounds, but you probably won't drop much strength, or depending on your workouts, it could be the opposite.

Volkl's size chart would put someone at your height at a 154 for intermediate and a 161 for advanced. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if you're looking for longevity, ski 10-12+ days a season, the 161s might be a better bet. It may just take a day or two on some easier slopes getting used to the extra length.

Thanks for your reply! You make a good point about frequency. I have skid probably 10-12 times so far and am able to go once or twice a week next season if I want to (my closest tiny mountain will be Crotched, my closest small will be Magic in VT- I live in NH and ski Crotched, Magic, Loon, Bretton Woods, Gunstock and Waterville) which is great. The 154 felt a little challenging (wider ski, greater length) but really good, I just wonder if it’s supposed to be feel more challenging than it did. The 161 I haven’t tried but I can’t get out of my head how much shorter they may ski due to the rocker. I know I’d have Bambi legs too haha but I know I’ll be out there a lot. My big fear with the 161s is the greater speed I’ll pick up (I am not aggressive with speed yet).

I think I’ll have to try and demo the 161 so I’m not left wondering lol. That being said, you’re saying Volkls chart is putting me at 154 as intermediate- that’s assuring! And seemingly like the better and safer bet.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm the same height but heavier than you, my tradational camber skis were 154. My rocker, camber, rocker skis are 171....but I'm an advanced skier. Atomic Vantage 95C.

But if you're happy on the 154 go for them. We marry our boots, but date our skis!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Tha

Thanks for your reply! You make a good point about frequency. I have skid probably 10-12 times so far and am able to go once or twice a week next season if I want to (my closest tiny mountain will be Crotched, my closest small will be Magic in VT- I live in NH and ski Crotched, Magic, Loon, Bretton Woods, Gunstock and Waterville) which is great. The 154 felt a little challenging (wider ski, greater length) but really good, I just wonder if it’s supposed to be feel more challenging than it did. The 161 I haven’t tried but I can’t get out of my head how much shorter they may ski due to the rocker. I know I’d have Bambi legs too haha but I know I’ll be out there a lot. My big fear with the 161s is the greater speed I’ll pick up (I am not aggressive with speed yet).

I think I’ll have to try and demo the 161 so I’m not left wondering lol. That being said, you’re saying Volkls chart is putting me at 154 as intermediate- that’s assuring! And seemingly like the better and safer bet.
Since you are in NH, look up Tenney Mountain. It just re-opened last week after being closed for eight years. Should be completely open for the 2018-19 season. The Tenney Facebook page is the best place to find out the latest.

Longer skis don't "pick up speed." At least not if a skier is making round turns properly. Longer skis can be more stable at higher speed for those who find going faster fun. Best way to develop fundamentals is with a few lessons so that you know the difference between a "Z turn" and a "C turn," and how to "finish a turn."

Selling a Volkl Yumi @154 should be relatively easy in NH. So not really much financial risk if you decide to go with the shorter length. Who knows, you might want to keep them for a while and add a slightly longer and wider ski for fresh snow by the end of next season. As an advanced skier who lives 3+ hours from the nearest ski shill I essentially have two pairs of skis, one is 78 underfoot and 148cm, the all-mountain is 84 underfoot and 159cm. Even as an intermediate, I rented powder skis out west in the low 160s.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm the same height but heavier than you, my tradational camber skis were 154. My rocker, camber, rocker skis are 171....but I'm an advanced skier. Atomic Vantage 95C.

But if you're happy on the 154 go for them. We marry our boots, but date our skis!!

Haha I love that quote! I was thinking of trying Atomics

Jilly

Staff member
Look at the Vantage X line. That is their all mountain line. Haven't been on any of them yet. I was looking for Whistler skis, not just all mountain.

I hadn't seen a pair of Yumi's till Saturday. I was guiding some Americans around Tremblant. The wife was on them. I can see the draw for them because of the shape and flex pattern.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking at the X 80s recently! But they’re rated a bit advanced for me and I still want something wider- 84/85. How did the wife enjoy the Yumi? I’m seeking a light, playful and wide ski with good edgehold for our east coast ice but will pop and allow me to play in bumps and powder (when we get it!!!)

How is Tremblant? I’d LOVE to go.

Jilly

Staff member
She was rippin on them.

Tremblant is skiing great. More snow this week. Fully open at the moment. And I'm heading to Mont St. Louis this weekend for the Canadian Junior Slopestyle Championships.

Diva East next March at Tremblant!! Make plans....

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I wrote elsewhere that I LOVED the Yumis on my last day at Sun Peaks. Wish I'd taken them out earlier but had no expectations for a Volkl. Wish I could find a pair to try at Tremblant. I was on 147 - which at my under-five-feet height seemed perfect.

caramia

Certified Ski Diva
I’m 5’5” 125 intermediate and purchased the 161 Yumi’s. At first I felt they were too much ski for me and my tips crossed more than I wanted, but eventually I grew into them and absolutely love them! They really reward my forward stance. The 161 gives me the speed I want and they are so lightweight and easy to flex, so I’m able to maneuver with ease. I’m not sure how the 2018’s feel (with the new design), however. I own the 2015’s and have had so much fun with them that I’m considering purchasing the 2018’s as well.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
the 2018s are AWESOME!!!!! I used mine for the first time today and while I only did one run (so sad) due to major boot issues, that one run was dramatically different for me than with my other skis. I love these. They introduced the Titanal band which makes them lighter than precious years. And you can get them on a killer deal right now! Selling quickly tho.

theyardsaleexpert

Certified Ski Diva
I ski on the Völkl Yumi’s 154 and I love them! I actually made a huge size jump. I’m fairly petite so I prefer shorter skis. I’m in love with my Yumi’s though, they were so much fun to ski on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly