• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Dog sitters

MissySki

Angel Diva
What do you do with your dog when you go away for a ski trip or any type of overnight trip? This has become quite the dilemma for me..

When I was married my in laws were the main people who did dog sitting for trips. It was a bit complicated as my dog was on a strict medicine regime for years for epilepsy and so I didn't trust just anyone with her care, she has been off the meds for over a year now and is doing great, but I still worry. Now that I'm not married and my ex had no desire to split custody of our dog, I have her full time, which I love and wouldn't change for anything, but it's really hard to do anything without built in dog sitters like I used to have. When I was living alone in an apartment I had lucked into finding a great dog walker I used a few days per week and she also did dog sitting so I used her for a few weekend trips as well, it was great I knew she really liked my pup and I could tell how excited Zoey got for her visits so I felt really good about the setup. This person was the sister in law of a coworker I'd known for quite sometime who was starting up her own business and it worked out great. However, I moved out of her area a few months back, and regardless she has since had to go back to her day job full time and put her business on hold, so I have no dog sitter. I'm not very keen on a random person having access to my house, and had only been into the last one because it came from a trustworthy referral. My dog is 10 and a half and not really into other dogs, so I don't think a kennel/play group is the best solution and I worry she'd be super stressed being in that type of environment at this point. Plus there are so many horror stories about kennels, how do you know your dog is safe and happy and not being mistreated when they can't speak to you?

I don't really feel she needs a dog walker right now because since I'm living with my significant other and we have a little bit offset work schedules, she's not alone as much as when I was living alone. Also if I travel for work it's not an issue since he is there with her already. So the issue comes in for weekend getaways or an overnight or vacation etc. It's been an issue for ski season even because I can only do day trips, I used to have a seasonal rental for the most part so she could come, but without that this year it's been hard.

What do you do for dog care when you want to go away for the night or a vacation etc.??? Am I being too paranoid and I should just pick a new sitter/walker locally, or find a kennel that offers more "luxury" accommodations etc.? How do you really scope out a new person to care for a beloved pet, how do you know you can trust them?? I really hate the kennel idea..

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel for you @MissySki. I also worry about my pets when I leave them. I no longer have a dog but when I did, I would board her at various places. Once was at Petsmart which was my least favorite because they are actually put in little cages :frown:. I didn't know that before I dropped her off and it was too late to change it. It was the most convenient at the time, only for the weekend, and I made sure to sign her up for daycare. Still felt bad about it though to the point where it almost ruined my trip. The other place I sent her to had a large dog run and play time everyday. I liked it when I toured it. It was clean and the animals didn't look traumatized. I looked at one kennel that smelled like dog urine and noped out of there so quick. Not for my baby! That's the one tip I would give if boarding. Make sure you can tour the facility and that you feel good about it. I also sent her to a "dog camp" where there was a swimming pool and she was outside playing with other dogs all day. I liked that one because they had a webcam feed that I could look at periodically. I felt there was less chance for abuse with cameras on the staff but you never know...

Now that the dog has passed away and I only have the two cats I use a petsitter. I also feel weird about having a stranger in my home. Unlike dogs, cats are weird about new environments and you can't throw a bunch of unfamiliar cats in a room together (that I know of:eek:). I've used two different sitters and I liked the first one much better than the second. The first would give me daily updates via text. Also with the first, I filled out a form and we talked extensively about the animals and their temperaments. I just got an overall better vibe. The second was a referral from my boss. She was ok but we didn't click as well and she didn't update me daily.

Which brings me to my next point, home security cameras. When I use petsitters I set up a wifi camera that detects movement and it bings my phone when it happens. So even though she didn't check in with me daily, I knew she was coming everyday because of the camera. I tried not to be too creepy and watch when she was there, but I would glance at it. I don't have the cameras set up 24/7 though. Like now they are tucked away and off.

Am I being too paranoid and I should just pick a new sitter/walker locally, or find a kennel that offers more "luxury" accommodations etc.? How do you really scope out a new person to care for a beloved pet, how do you know you can trust them?? I really hate the kennel idea..

Are you being to paranoid? No! All you can do is vet the person or place as much as possible. Use yelp reviews or ask for referral if you can. For petsitters, I'm sure you could ask for references from their current clients. I've never went that far but I'm sure they would accommodate you. How do you scope them out and trust them? IDK, I usually go with reviews and my gut but I have cameras set up so my trust isn't all that strong!

Tvan

Angel Diva
We have a cat and use a sitter who comes in daily. I have security cams and i do watch when she’s there, not because i don't trust her but because my cat displays aggressive behavior to non-family members. In fact, I’m using one security cam clip from when he backed the sitter into a bathroom when we visit the animal behaviorist next month. Sigh. I know dogs are different in terms of care needed, but I firmly support using security cams for everyone’s safety.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We have a cat and use a sitter who comes in daily. I have security cams and i do watch when she’s there, not because i don't trust her but because my cat displays aggressive behavior to non-family members. In fact, I’m using one security cam clip from when he backed the sitter into a bathroom when we visit the animal behaviorist next month. Sigh. I know dogs are different in terms of care needed, but I firmly support using security cams for everyone’s safety.
@Tvan - Wow! We used to have a cat who hated everyone but us, but never to that point of aggression.

How did you ladies with cats find your sitter? Right now I rely on a friend and my sister, but they have to drive a ways to get here, so the cat goes a couple/three days without seeing anyone. Not that she comes out in the open when they're at the house, generally, but it still makes me feel bad that she doesn't get some company every day.

Christy

Angel Diva
A good dog sitter/walker is worth their weight in gold. We'd had some wonderful people over the years. We had one couple sit for us when our very old cat got very sick and had to go to the emergency vet and stay there. They went to the vet every day and just sat with her until we were able to get back. When our dog they sat was in his last days they came over just to say goodbye and spend some time with him. Our current dog walker kept our house from blowing up after our current dog knocked on the gas on the stove. (When she walked in it was absolutely filled with gas). I feel like our sitters/walkers come to love our pets almost as much as we do.

Finding a good person isn't THAT hard. Ask everyone you know. Ask on Facebook, ask your neighbors, ask on Next Door or other community forums. With Rover.com and other platforms these days, and just so many businesses catering to pets, there are so many people sitting, particularly people doing it in their home. Most good ones want to meet your dog first so you'll have a chance to get to know them a bit. If you completely strike out with recommendations, which seems unlikely (if you aren't on Next Door consider joining just for this) I'd probably start with Rover.com, see who looks the best, and go meet them before committing to anything.

We use a kennel (https://www.roscoesranch.com/) for longer trips, but we do this because our dog is a little tricky and I know they will keep him 100% safe. If you have an easier dog I'd look for someone that has an in home business. It's so much less stressful for the dog to be in a home setting, without 20 other dogs barking every time they hear a car. We do have someone we take Reggie to for short stays (he doesn't get along with every dog but with just an overnight or day care we can make sure her other clients mesh well with him).

We have also used a sitter in our home for previous dogs, someone with their own business that a friend recommended. I don't think it's a big deal to have someone in the house--after years of home ownership and remodels we've had dozens of people unsupervised in our home (tradespeople, housecleaners, etc.). I think there is more good to come of that (our walker always brings our deliveries inside so they aren't stolen, and it's just good to have someone around) than potential danger. But, it's easier to drop the dog off at someone else's. Otherwise I feel like I have to clean and of course change sheets etc then do it again when we come back. It kind of depends on your dog's anxiety level in terms of, would they be happier with a sitter in their home, or would they be perfectly fine in someone's else's home.

My friend Emily sits in her home--it's an ideal set up and I'd use her if she didn't have a cat (my dog would like to eat a cat). She only takes one client at a time, which I think is ideal. https://www.rover.com/members/emily-r-happy-to-care-for-all-breeds-ages/

There are so many people doing this these days--I'm sure you can find someone like her.

My biggest recommendation would be to stick with a professional--not a college student who does it on the side, not a neighbor, but a licensed/bonded pro. We used to have friends do it (with other, easier dogs) and when it's not their job, they don't treat it like their job. I'd probably also avoid the 22 year old on Rover who clearly loves animals but maybe doesn't have much experience, in favor of someone that's been doing it for 10 years or is also a vet tech or volunteers in shelters etc. Basically someone that is grown up and experienced.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes to the licensed and bonded! I completely forgot that part but that does make me feel better about if something were to go wrong. As for how I found my pet sitter, I used Yelp. I called around for pricing and then met with her and tried to pick up a good "vibe". Again, I really liked her but I moved away from her service area. The other was a referral but I felt she was just OK.

I feel like dogs are harder to get pet sitters for because I know my dog needed to be let out about 3 times a day. That means 3 seperate visits and 3 charges per day. There are also some that house-sit/pet-sit and will stay in your home with your pet but that is even more expensive. But a pet sitter where you drop the dog off at their house may be a good option.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@Tvan - Wow! We used to have a cat who hated everyone but us, but never to that point of aggression.

How did you ladies with cats find your sitter? Right now I rely on a friend and my sister, but they have to drive a ways to get here, so the cat goes a couple/three days without seeing anyone. Not that she comes out in the open when they're at the house, generally, but it still makes me feel bad that she doesn't get some company every day.

Our cat is a pill...our vet calls him "special needs" because of his behavior. Anyone who things that cats are independent and "easier than dogs" hasn't met my boy. We finally found a behaviorist who hopefully will teach us some strategies to manage his aggression. We couldn't get an appointment until May.

We found our latest sitter via the vet. She's a vet tech in the office, so she knows his history, and she understands cats. She doesn't take it personally when he's being a butt. She texts us every day when we're away, and we pay her very well. I know she's been there, and for how long because of the security cams.

newboots

Angel Diva
I second the suggestion to ask your vet! I also found the best sitter through Rover. She was a bit of an odd duck, but she adored the dogs and lavished love on my Sprocket. She took dogs into her home, sometimes a couple at a time, and they were all having fun with each other. He had a blast there!

Our local "luxe" kennel had webcams where you could watch your dog, in the "Medieval Room" or the "Ocean Room." I looked at the webcams online and it was so sad. Dogs lying alone in their fancy rooms. Not playing together, but isolated in their little rooms. I hated it. Never brought him there.

altagirl

Staff member
I have a great dog sitter. She comes over a couple times a day and takes the dogs for walks and feeds them. We used to board our dog but he came home sick almost every time and it think it was just too stressful. They seem to do better in their normal environment, and is nice to have someone check on the house and bring in the mail.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know a great dog sitter in Massachusetts. She owns the business and as far as I know is the only employee. I went to college with her and she is a complete and total animal lover. I'm not sure if you are in hear area but her business is called Sit and Snuggle and her name is Kelly Watts. She loves pugs.

When we moved we needed to find a new dog sitter. Luckily I have a friend who has 5 dogs and lots of other animals (chickens, alpacas, goats, turtle) and her property is big and fun. She will take my dog when we are gone. My dog is sort of part of the dog pack there, and loves it. Its an absolute lifesaver!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree that asking Facebook friends and Next Door for local recs is the way to go. We have 3 dogs and I pay someone who I knew from a prior life to come to our house and stay overnight with them. Sometimes it costs more than our overnight accommodations to wherever we're traveling, but so worth it to find someone you trust

I would also consider using Rover.com to have our dogs go to their house if they didn't have other dogs concurrently.

Vet techs also may be an option if they are living with their parents and want to get out of the house and earn some extra money.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know a great dog sitter in Massachusetts. She owns the business and as far as I know is the only employee. I went to college with her and she is a complete and total animal lover. I'm not sure if you are in hear area but her business is called Sit and Snuggle and her name is Kelly Watts. She loves pugs.

When we moved we needed to find a new dog sitter. Luckily I have a friend who has 5 dogs and lots of other animals (chickens, alpacas, goats, turtle) and her property is big and fun. She will take my dog when we are gone. My dog is sort of part of the dog pack there, and loves it. Its an absolute lifesaver!

Darn, that would have been great, but she only does 3 towns and they are not near me. That's the kind of recommendation I'd love to fall into again, thanks for trying!! Sounds like you have an awesome setup!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks everyone! I'm due to make a vet appointment at a new place as well since I don't want to have to drive an hour each way to our old vet (though I love love love her and hate to leave that practice..). I think that's a really good starting point to see if they have any local recommendations from their prior experiences. I also asked in the local Facebook group for recommendations and actually got way more than I would have thought, but I'm not sure how to really assess and prioritize them since I don't know the people doing the recommending and how their standards would align with mine, but it's a starting point anyway!

For those who have used cameras, do you have to legally tell them they are being recorded, or since they are likely cameras in plain sight it isn't necessary?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Darn, that would have been great, but she only does 3 towns and they are not near me. That's the kind of recommendation I'd love to fall into again, thanks for trying!! Sounds like you have an awesome setup!!
Perhaps you could ask Kelly for a recommendation? The pet sitter we had for a several years was well connected with others who did the same level of service because she would recommend them for times she wasn't available. They were all single-owner businesses, either full-time or part-time. For a while our pet sitter only helped us and a couple of our neighbors because she changed the location of her full-time job. Our neighborhood was close to her house and on the way to the new job.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Perhaps you could ask Kelly for a recommendation? The pet sitter we had for a several years was well connected with others who did the same level of service because she would recommend them for times she wasn't available. They were all single-owner businesses, either full-time or part-time. For a while our pet sitter only helped us and a couple of our neighbors because she changed the location of her full-time job. Our neighborhood was close to her house and on the way to the new job.

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure it's likely since the towns she covers are not nearby, she is more towards Boston so ~50 miles from me. Doesn't hurt to ask though, the worst she can do is say that she doesn't have any contacts where I am. Thanks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've never said anything but I also never tried to hide them. The cameras are placed on the night stand, book shelf, and other places I would consider in plain view.

I recently got an Amazon Echo Spot which has a built in camera that you can get to through your phone. I haven't tried it yet, but many reviewers say they use it to check on their dogs during the day etc. I guess my question stemmed from this type of thing, as it isn't obvious that it's a camera. I'm not sure what the screen does if you go into that mode, I'll have to try it out and see. When it's just sitting there I have a picture as my background and it scrolls through the time and weather conditions.

I think it's a good rule of thumb though that as long as it isn't in a place where privacy is expected like a bathroom then it seems reasonable.

Soujan

Angel Diva
As long as the camera is in plain view, you should be fine. It's only when the camera is hidden and the person does not know they are being recorded, then it's an issue. As an example, if you are a tourist in Times Square, you could take photos and video of everyone there. However, where there is an expectation of privacy, like a bathroom stall, that's illegal. If you do put up hidden cameras in your home for security reasons, to protect against theft, you should tell the sitter. In case anybody was wondering about recording conversations, the law varies by state. Some states require both parties aware of the recording, some states only one party.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
As long as the camera is in plain view, you should be fine. It's only when the camera is hidden and the person does not know they are being recorded, then it's an issue. As an example, if you are a tourist in Times Square, you could take photos and video of everyone there. However, where there is an expectation of privacy, like a bathroom stall, that's illegal. If you do put up hidden cameras in your home for security reasons, to protect against theft, you should tell the sitter. In case anybody was wondering about recording conversations, the law varies by state. Some states require both parties aware of the recording, some states only one party.

Thank you for the clarification!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna