• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for getting TO the slopes with small kids

echo_VT

Angel Diva
the packs - that is what we're doing. we see everyone else doing it, and we struggle so it's very eye opening to see this. just put everything in the pack and we'll be good. i wish these packs had ski and pole holders too.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
we have those too, but we just use it for skis. we can put poles on there? does that make things easier? i guess it would...thanks for that idea!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW you can make a ski carrier strap like that super easily with just a loop of webbing. Just girth hitch it on one side and tie a slipknot on the other. In case you want to experiment with it without investing.

I wish there was a backpack style pack that carried boots on the side and still had connectors for attaching skis, it would really solve a lot of issues.

It probably doesn't apply to those with older kids that can carry their own gear, but I did a review of the Kulkea Tandem double boot duffel over on Pugski, I can link it if thats ok or you guys can poke over there and find it.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish there was a backpack style pack that carried boots on the side and still had connectors for attaching skis, it would really solve a lot of issues.
I did a search on ski backpacks / boot bags for the heck of it, and it looks like Kulkea -used to- have a one bag for all, but the skis went down the middle, the ski trekker. Looks interesting, but must not have been a big seller.

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
This might be premature...but, when my kids were 12, 12, and 8 and skied 6 days a week (racers), we used to sing a song as we left the house. They packed their gear. So, on the way out of the neighborhood we sang, "Helmets, goggles, skis and poles. Helmets, goggles, skis and poles. Skis and poles. Boots, ski socks, mittens too. Helmets, goggles, skis and poles." I will admit, we turned back more than once. But, at least they had their gear, and we were only a block or two away. (all to the tune of Head, Shoulders, knees and toes.)

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got back from Mammoth tonight and I'm happy to report everything with the kids went great. My 5 yo was able to get down the green learning trail all on his own by the 2nd day. He made me nervous because he wasn't always 100% in control but I was really impressed he did so well. My 3 yo did great in her half day lessons but didn't feel confident to ski on the big trail without someone either holding her hand, having her between their legs or holding a pole out. We don't have a harness and I'm sure if I get one she will decide to ski without it. My son got to take some runs with his older cousins and loved it. It was funny that he was skiing faster than one of them. My brother and I actually have two shorter trips to Snow Valley planned with all 4 kids so they will get more time on the snow together.

The gear hauling went well. I used the wagon on the first day but on other days I just made 2 trips, one for their stuff and then went back to grab my stuff. We had close parking so it worked out well. I will get my kids their own bags eventually but for now since they are so little they are just sharing my old bag. Its easier since they aren't able to carry it yet. We booted up in the lodge but had them dressed in everything else heading into the lodge.

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like it went as well as possible! That’s great!

My son terrifies me when he skis sometimes. He has zero fear, loves finding bumps and skills and skis with joy and abandon. But put an icy or bad terrain under his skis and he topples over. One day he will be an amazing skier but right now he has so little control!

soliloquy72

Certified Ski Diva
I didn't read all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating something.

I have 5 kids, four of whom are old enough to ski-- 14, 11, 9, 8. (Youngest just turned 2, she'll start next year.) One of my kids is ASD, so he needs more help than expected for his age.

Best thing I ever did-- get a small tobagon style sled. Put all the gear, cooler bags, etc. on the sled and PULL it from the car to the lodge for the kids who are too small to carry their own gear. Plus, I bring all of our food for the day (plus an electric tea kettle for tea and hot cocoa) and it's exhausting trying to carry all of that. The sled is awesome.

Each child has to get everything out the night before--helmet, goggles, balaclava, gloves, ski socks. They put it all in their helmet at the spot at the kitchen table. They have to lay out what they're going to wear the night before. They have to go to bed early the night before. They have to eat a high-protein breakfast before skiing. (I've noticed they are much calmer when they have a high-protein breakfast.)

We have passes to Schweitzer so we go a lot. I've got our "night before" packing down to a science.

And I remind myself that people who act badly, feel badly. Skiing is awesome but all that fresh air and exercise is exhausting. My kids are EXHAUSTED on the way home. And, let's be honest, ski boots are uncomfortable. That's hard on kids. So, I let a lot go in one ear and out the other.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, dang, now I feel like I have no excuses complaining about getting my two kids out skiing when you've give five! Good job!!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i've definitely seen the sled at several resorts, not just my home resort. it looks like a real life saver for sure...!

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
For our family, the hardest part about skiing as a family is getting everyone ready to go and out the door. My oldest (9) is pretty capable of putting his stuff on and getting himself ready, but still needs help buckling his boots. My middle guy (7) cries and complains that every piece of clothing hurts or doesn't feel right. We have to help him put on, take off, put on, take off, and put on again his socks, snow pants, and ski boots a million times. It's SUPER frustrating, exhausting, and long. This process can take 30-40 minutes! My little one (4) needs help with everything, which is normal, but getting him to stop doing whatever he was doing and actually let us help him get dressed takes almost as long as the frustrating loop with my middle guy.

I feel like it's getting worse, not better, and it's really impacting how I feel about skiing lately. It's becoming not fun, which sucks! Once we get on the slopes, everyone is happy and enjoying themselves (mostly, they are still young kids with mood swings).

We do the boots and stuff at the house to avoid a scene at the mountain. Any other suggestions to helping the process go a little smoother would be VERY much appreciated. This weekend I was ready to sell all my kids to the highest bidder!!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For our family, the hardest part about skiing as a family is getting everyone ready to go and out the door. My oldest (9) is pretty capable of putting his stuff on and getting himself ready, but still needs help buckling his boots. My middle guy (7) cries and complains that every piece of clothing hurts or doesn't feel right. We have to help him put on, take off, put on, take off, and put on again his socks, snow pants, and ski boots a million times. It's SUPER frustrating, exhausting, and long. This process can take 30-40 minutes! My little one (4) needs help with everything, which is normal, but getting him to stop doing whatever he was doing and actually let us help him get dressed takes almost as long as the frustrating loop with my middle guy.

I feel like it's getting worse, not better, and it's really impacting how I feel about skiing lately. It's becoming not fun, which sucks! Once we get on the slopes, everyone is happy and enjoying themselves (mostly, they are still young kids with mood swings).

We do the boots and stuff at the house to avoid a scene at the mountain. Any other suggestions to helping the process go a little smoother would be VERY much appreciated. This weekend I was ready to sell all my kids to the highest bidder!!!
Kimmy is doing a long term test of the Kulkea Tandem bag for hauling kids stuff to the hill.
She's using this for climbing, biking, camping and....skiing.
https://bit.ly/2CgvSbc

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly