• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What age should your child start skiing?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I saw this and thought of this thread - 2 year old Kasper, he's at Kicking Horse:

What do you all think?

What a little prodigy that kid is. Our ski school won't take you unless you are 4 I've had 2 private lessons with 3 year old charges and they did quite well.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
Kid is enthusiastic - but a bit over his head based on his form.
Great skills - a better hill would help him develop more.

RuthB

Angel Diva
What do you all think?

What a great example of a family skiing the mountain together. I'm no expert on video analysis, but I saw heaps that impressed me, especially when you think of the gross motor skill developmental expectations for two to three year olds (e.g. around 18 months to age three is when kids start being able to do a two footed jump) and toddler biomechanics and centre of mass.

Specifically what I saw was speed control - ability to edge/brake and to flatten his bases when he wanted to; some great turn shapes and turns of varying size; and fantastic balance - getting air and landing it well with an edgy-wedgy on the front of your skis - van't say that I have ever seen that (and not something that I would want to do!). His skis are already an extension of him (something that lots of adults never achieve).

And best of all, they were all having so much fun and skiing lots of variable + all mountain terrain. And off the gondy at Kicking Horse - not a mountain renowned for easy terrain

Kasper is going to be an absolute rippper as he grows

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Yeah - I totally agree. He is pretty awesome. the other thing that impresses me is his stamina. That long green run from the top of the KH gondola is really long. I know that it is edited footage, but just the fact that he was able to ski from the top down without looking visibly miserable is really impressive. He totally rips. I'm also really impressed by his little jumps. How fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:
Some very good advice on the first couple pages from 2006. I would guess that some readers don't realize how long Divas have been helping out each other for family skiing.

A few years ago I was helping a friend with two kids get started on skis. Her daughter was 4, her son was 6. He took to skiing almost instantaneously because he'd been playing ice hockey since he was 4. Unfortunately his sister didn't click with her first ski instructor (young man) for the never-ever group. Although she liked the assistant instructor (young woman). The next day she absolutely refused to do ski school again. The ski school was nice and gave a refund even though they didn't have to. My friend paid for a 1-hour private lesson with a very experienced instructor, an older woman. The girl loved her and had a great time. The boy was skiing bumps by age 6. By the time the family went to Alta last April, the kids were more than ready after four seasons at Massanutten (small hill in northern VA) even though they only skied 4-6 days each season. Always had at least one lesson each weekend.

In this case, the mother was also a never-ever who learned to ski at the same time as her kids. With the help of an instructor at Alta, she was skiing an easy blue the third day. Solo group lesson three afternoons in a row with the same very experienced instructor. Quite a deal!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We start kids very young at my home Mt.. Several are 16 month to 2yrs.. We teach 3, 4, 5yrs on a regular basis..

I think one of the ski patroller's has his baby out this year, she's tiny last year she was in a back pack this year he carries her then puts her down on the easier portion!

My sisters kids and now their kids all started skiing under 2yrs. Everyone grew up to be incredible racers/skiers. My nephew posted a video of
his 2 kids cutting it up yesterday.

It's fun to see the future generations of skiiers!

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We started our kids at 4. My middle one is in her first set of lessons now and skied down groomed blues and greens with myself, a friend, and my 7yo daughter last weekend. I was so impressed with how much she has learned in 6 weeks!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah - I totally agree. He is pretty awesome. the other thing that impresses me is his stamina. That long green run from the top of the KH gondola is really long. I know that it is edited footage, but just the fact that he was able to ski from the top down without looking visibly miserable is really impressive. He totally rips. I'm also really impressed by his little jumps. How fun!
Is this the same Kasper?
https://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/multimedia/video-gallery/aj-and-kasper-shred-revelstoke

Sportygirl

Certified Ski Diva
My son started skiing at around 3 years old, but only after he turned 5 he truly started learning and progressing. I started at 3 to get him used to the equipment and the gliding sensation so he will not be afraid when he grows up. He is now 8 years old and skis with me on the blue runs following me closely. He loves it and I wish we would go more often. Dad doesn't ski, so it's just the 2 of us, but recently got a couple of friends and their families to join us and it's been way more fun for everyone.

TrixieSF

Certified Ski Diva
As soon as they are potty trained because... frozen diapers! Especially with boys who can be slow to potty train and have an external spout. :-)

My little man did his first season at age 4 with a week of ski school at Kirkwood. At the end of the week he could ski greens with me. We did the same at age five — one week of Kirkwood’s ski school — and at the end of the week he could ski blues with me. This past season, age 6, we skied greens and blues together. He did a few skills camps and now he’s out skiing me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna