• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Roundtop Demo Day 2/17/18 - Intermediate's experience and perspective

alison wong

Angel Diva
I tried to make it to Roundtop (RT) at least once a year, I decided to drive up today since I canceled my western PA trip for the President's day wknd. By coincidence, they had their annual demo day today.

There are quite few vendors: Nordica, Stockli, Rosi, K2, Head, Icelantic, Dynastar, Salomon, Atomic.

Despite last year’s demo disaster* at Alta, I found a courage to try out few skis at RT today.
Another reason was, I saw Stockli was there... I read all these hypes about how great Stockli is , I was very curious about this brand in particular.

This was my 3rd demo experience of all the years I've skied.

First of all, I know nothing about skis. Skis reviews I read on this forum, how you guys describe skis as fun, exciting, playful, versatile, forgiving, nimble, etc. I have no idea what those adjectives mean.... To me, I put skis into 2 buckets: working and not working.

RT did not have the best snow condition today, very icy and hard packed ice. Also based on my last year's demo experience (disaster) at Alta, I decided to take a cautionary approach. i.e. If I am unsure how I'd feel about the skis, I need to try it on a bunny slope first, not a blue!

Rossi tent:
I first checked out Rossi skis, specifically asked for something similar to my Temp 80 model. I wanted to start with something I know I'd be comfortable with. Sales rep recommended Rossi Experience 84, 160cm. He said this is a bit stiffer and more advanced than Temp 80. The fact he used the "stiff" word made me nervous. So, I told him I would bring this skis to a bunny hill because I don't know if I can manage this skis on a blue. I hiked uphill to the bunny slope did 2 runs there. It was working and I felt it was more "solid" and "stable" than my Temp 80. Since it worked well on bunny slopes, it gave me confidence to try out on a blue run, Minuteman. It was wonderful, despite the ice cubes and choppy condition, it was very stable and not "bouncy". I like this one more than my own Temp 80.

From the Rossi tent, I also tried a carving ski (can't remember the name), it was pinkish color, 152 cm. I learned that carving skis are supposed to be shorter. It was ok when I carve.. but I am not quite good at carving yet, so this one was a "so-so".

Moving onto Dynastar tent:
First pair I tried was a soft ski (can't remember the model), 152cm. This was a "meh", quite boring I'd say. It worked properly but nothing special about it. Because it was a "meh" skis, the sales rep recommended me an intermediate-advance skis: Legend. How the sales rep described this skis (can't remember his exact words) gave me the impression that it is a "particular" skis, depends on how you work / exert weight.... it can work or not work for you....

I tried 156cm first, did not like it on my first run coz I almost ran into a snow gun and fell... But towards the end of the run, I think I got the hang of how this ski "function", so I was able to enjoy it a bit more. I decided to give it a 2nd chance, I did a second run. I noticed this was not the most "forgiving" skis. I need to be precise on how and where I exert my weight as I turn. If I am being sloppy, I would be at risk of losing control and fall.

Since 156 cm was working well, sale rep recommended me to try 163cm. I did 2 runs and did not notice any difference between 156 cm vs 163 cm. His recommendation was: if you did not notice any difference b/w the 2, you should go for a shorter length because it'll you better control. (I did not know this..... Still not 100% clear on his reasoning.)

My question is: Can a "less forgiving" skis make you a better skier?
(My rationale is, you need to be precise and cannot afford sloppiness. Is it right?)

The Finale: Stockli tent
I did not have time to try out other skis (like Nordica, K2) because I signed up for a 2 pm lesson. It was already passed 1 pm, so it was time to hop on the Stockli skis. I spoke w/ the the sales rep couple hours prior and he already set aside the skis for me. It was MX 156 cm. According to him, it is an intermediate ski, good for carving. It has "room" to grow to do something else as one progresses, can't remember what he said exactly.

Since it is a Stockli, I need to be extra cautious. I hiked uphill to the bunny slope again, make sure I can manage this skis.

Then I did the 2nd run on a blue. I found this skis was "overpowering" me. At times, I felt it was the skis riding me and not me riding the skis. I don't know if it was a mental block or intimation or skill level, I don't find this skis to be easy. But then, I did not have the time to do a 2nd run to confirm it. For now, I know this skis is not for me. It did satisfy my curiosity though.

If I had to get new skis this season, I'd say I will still go with the Rossi brand: -Experience 84, Dynastar Legend is also a strong contender.

After today, I guess I no longer feel intimidated about demoing skis. Actually, trying out new skis can be quite fun, provided the fact that I take a cautionary approach... i.e. if I am unsure about a skis, try it out o a bunny slope first.

Also, I can finally understand 50% of what you guys described about skis, and know what they mean... I hope eventually, we will all be on the same page.:thumbsup:

*I demoed a DPS 105 mm width skis at Alta last year. I demoed this skis on a blue run (off Wildcat chair) and Corkscrew blue. The skis was so wide that I wasn't able to turn. At one point, I even thought about took off the skis and just walked down the slope. That was a run from hell, and felt eternally long.... I was still traumatized by that experience.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Alison, I just love your candid, self-effacing descriptions. As an advancing novice, I so appreciate your willingness to admit what you don't know (how I know that feeling of total blankness reading ski reviews)! However, you're clearly underestimating your skill and your understanding!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, fellow Roundtop Diva!!! I completely understand what you said about the DPS experience - I had the same thing happen to me yesterday with the Line Pandora 110! Not pleasant.

Thanks for the reviews! I wanted to check out the Stockli tent, but got wrapped up with Icelantic instead. If Nordica is there next year, the Astral 88 might be something for you to check out.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My question is: Can a "less forgiving" skis make you a better skier?
(My rationale is, you need to be precise and cannot afford sloppiness. Is it right?)

More "forgiving" skis don't react to your movements as precisely as less "forgiving" skis. That means if you move in a goofy ineffective way (which we all do, at our own personal levels of goofiness), the "forgiving" ski won't even register that you did that.

Will this kind of ski help you learn? The forgiving ski won't punish you for making the goofy, ineffective movement, so no you won't learn from the ski's feedback. "Challenge" might be a better word than "punish." It won't challenge you to change what you are doing to get it to behave better. It will make you feel like a hero at your current skill level. You might learn from an instructor who tells you when you are moving effectively, but the skis won't be telling you much.

A ski that's just a little less forgiving will react more to your movements. It will be slightly more precise in doing what you tell it to do, and that might not be pleasant if your instructions to the ski are "goofy and ineffective." The unpleasant effects of your goofy movements won't be dramatic though, and you will be able to tweak what you are doing using trail and error to get the unpleasantness to go away. So feedback from a slightly less forgiving ski can teach you what you are doing poorly, and give you a chance to modify and improve your skiing. You can learn from the ski if you are a trial-and-error type of skier, willing to do the tweaks on those occasions when the ski just makes you feel like an awful skier. An instructor is again helpful at these moments, as an instructor can speak to you, guide you as you try new things, and watch your face and body language to see how you are psychologically responding to what you are hearing. I'm an instructor, so I believe instructors are useful. But the ski matters as well.

A much less forgiving ski will do nothing for your skiing but make you hate being on it and maybe even hate skiing.

Everyone has more fun on a ski that does not challenge them at all -- when they can access terrain and conditions that they like. A sunny day helps, as does having fun people to ski with. But if you are working on increasing your skills so you can enjoy more conditions and terrain challenges, getting a ski you can grow into in a season or two of skiing is the best idea.

Identifying that ski is what you are doing when you demo.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet Great explanation about what forgiving means. I tried to explain what I meant and why I love to demo to my better half, who is a much better skier than I am and thinks “equipment doesn’t matter that much.”

I’ll be shoung him your post.

@alison wong, good for you! As @newboots said above, you need to give yourself some credit. You have come further than you think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna