• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Catskills in NY 2017-18

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i heard that the wait at windham was 90 min - someone in my ski group knew one of the kids that was stuck up there and i guess she had been one of the last to be evacuated? in any case, at hunter, it was all abuzz about how this happened and how it was so cold - but i'm sure they were glad that it wasn't Thursday or Sunday. Saturday was tolerable, going up to 20F!

marzNC

Angel Diva
i heard that the wait at windham was 90 min - someone in my ski group knew one of the kids that was stuck up there and i guess she had been one of the last to be evacuated? in any case, at hunter, it was all abuzz about how this happened and how it was so cold - but i'm sure they were glad that it wasn't Thursday or Sunday. Saturday was tolerable, going up to 20F!
If you mean that that last people to be lowered from a chair where stuck for a bit more than an hour, wouldn't be too surprised that the official report was rounded to an "hour" based on when evacuations started as opposed to from the time the lift stopped.

In any case, Windham seems to have a pretty sensible approach to handling the issue. Reducing lift ticket prices is smart. The flip side of going somewhere without a high speed lift is usually that lift lines are shorter during a holiday period.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 10.00.19 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The local ski shop is having their annual Demo Day at Belleayre on Sat, 13Jan2018. Jimmy's Ski Shop is near the base. Free demos 9:00am - 2:00pm.

Anyone ever been to this demo day?

Last edited:

echo_VT

Angel Diva
nope, but i don't think i will go, i was thinking of doing a demo day with all the vendors coming b/c then i can sample all the latest equipment.

marzNC

Angel Diva
nope, but i don't think i will go, i was thinking of doing a demo day with all the vendors coming b/c then i can sample all the latest equipment.
Just remember that even when there are lots of brands with separate reps, chances are that at least half the the skis you want to try will be out when you get to the tent. Or at least the length that you are more interested in checking out. On a free demo day, I rarely take out more than 4-5 models even when there are 15-20 tents. I'm not that picky. Usually have a couple models I go for to start with. After that, I go to the tent with the shortest line. I learn as much or more from skis that I don't like, as the ones that I find good fun.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
that is generally what i end up doing. i tried the head total joys (or was it great joy) and i tried the fischer ranger's 98s. i missed the nordica santa ana's. i only went in the afternoon which is why i didn't get to demo much. i needed to demo more to be honest, so i should really start from the morning and miss my seasonal program.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
here's more information about this Saturday -
i got a message! it reads:

Our Demo Day is Saturday 1/13 at Belleayre Mountain. We will have reps from Atomic, Elan, Volkl and Rossignol. As the reps bring the line of skis I have no way of knowing what models they will have, but they generally have a good mixture of Men's and Women's.

Hope to see you Saturday,

Cathy Rotella
Belleayre Ski Shop
845-254-5338

marzNC

Angel Diva
here's more information about this Saturday -
i got a message! it reads:

Our Demo Day is Saturday 1/13 at Belleayre Mountain. We will have reps from Atomic, Elan, Volkl and Rossignol. As the reps bring the line of skis I have no way of knowing what models they will have, but they generally have a good mixture of Men's and Women's.

Hope to see you Saturday,

Cathy Rotella
Belleayre Ski Shop
845-254-5338
How neat! I'm paying attention for future reference. There is a lot to be said for a Demo Day at a less popular mountain. I bet the reps are happy the gondola is up and running. Wonder where they will set up.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
it rained a lot on Thu & Fri and conditions on Sat were that it was super icy. however at hunter they blew a lot of snow and by Sun and Mon there were some good fluffy runs. there were still icy spots but mostly it was addressed and taken care of. i imagine they are still blowing snow today as it got cold again.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
here's what i wrote up elsewhere:

Sat & Sun were somewhat interesting skiing. Friday (and Thu) it poured quite a bit so a lot of snow was lost. it then dipped in temps by a lot and soon the mtn became quite the ice skating rink. i said i feel like i'm ice skating down the mtn in humongous skates (our metal long skis attached to our legs). like a toboggan chute. it was iffy for sure. but they were blowing snow to get back everything they lost as it was cold enough for the snow to hold.

Mon i skiied uphill (finally not too icy to go uphill) for the 2nd time. 1700 ft of ascent. it was great coming down b/c it was snowing naturally and they had blown snow. fresh tracks are great.

i snowboarded on Mon during the day and had a good time of it. i skied with the kids group (joined in) and after, we drove home. another long drive as there was traffic due to the long weekend. drinking lots of water due to the workout in the AM.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's about time. Gore was dragged into the 21st century, kicking and screaming.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes! Mike Pratt was bumped up to ORDA CEO and James Bayse was named the Gore GM. I think Pratt did a good job at Gore and will be an asset to ORDA.

NY State gave a lot of money to the ski resorts and some much needed upgrades were completed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So it's raining in NC and VA, but I'm not sure I would've wanted to be driving in MA or the Catskills today any way. My daughter's school sent day students home early because it's right on the freezing rain and snow line, with snow starting soon.

Belleayre has a new interactive trail map. A bit different than the Vista maps I'm more used to. But still has it's uses. Expecting 8-12 inches out of today's storm before it blows by.

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 3.14.31 PM.png

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be at Gore early tomorrow. By the time the storm ends, we should have more than 12", plus Sunday's storm. It should be beautiful.

The glades are open!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Conditions have been changing rapidly in the east, but the snow was pretty nice over Pres. Day weekend at Belleayre. The Alba family has a house near Pico. But as their kids grow up, they have also explored other mountains within reach driving from NYC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly