• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski games for kids?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know any ski games for kids that make skiing fun and help them develop skills?

marzNC

Angel Diva
The first one I learned from an instructor after my daughter when to ski school at age 4 was Red/Yellow/Green Light. Very useful. Once the kid has more control and can do a quick stop, can be essentially Red/Green Light.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooh, I'm following this one. We played a lot of 'follow the leader' when I took my 8yo niece skiing, but she was a solid green/blue skier. We would just make a variety of turn shapes and sizes and try and get her to follow us.

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll report back after my trip next week:wink: It's going to be my nephew and niece's first ski trip. They each have a whopping 1 day previous experiences.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I took my grandson out yesterday. He's six, SUPER competitive, and wants nothing more than to go fast. To slow him down and play into his urge to compete, I had us do turning contests -- the one who did the most turns in a designated area won.

Jilly

Staff member
That's not just for kids. We did that as part of the clinic 2 weeks ago. It's something that is measurable. You did X in L space. I did the best of the "students" in the first run. Got beat in the second one.

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How old? Where are you going? Big mountain or small?
We will be at Mammoth :yahoo: And I finally get to start my season!!!!!:dancing:

DH was able to take the nephew, 10, for an all day lesson up at Big Bear (smaller local mtn) last Sat. Our 12 yo niece we were able to take once last season to Big Bear. They have never been to a big mtn. We will also have our DD, 4, who will be starting her 3rd season and loves skiing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We will be at Mammoth :yahoo: And I finally get to start my season!!!!!:dancing:

DH was able to take the nephew, 10, for an all day lesson up at Big Bear (smaller local mtn) last Sat. Our 12 yo niece we were able to take once last season to Big Bear. They have never been to a big mtn. We will also have our DD, 4, who will be starting her 3rd season and loves skiing.
Sounds like great fun. I imagine the tween cousins will be anxious to get better than the 4yo as soon as possible. Although it will be tough because she's going to be able to do a lot this season. I started my daughter at age 4. Only three short trips that season but she made amazing progress since she loved ski school.

socalgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Already we are seeing big strides forward with the whole lot. Not too many games/drills, but I do try and incorporate them when I can. We've spent a lot of time in the terrain parks-- these provide a lot of opportunities for speed control, balance, and timing.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a fan of:
Red light/green light
Simon says
Follow the leader
Depending on age, make believe like driving a train, flying a plane, going on a safari
Setting up obstacle courses with ski poles
Skiing letters (Ski a letter C, ski a letter Z, Ski a letter J, etc.)
How many turns can you do in a particular area
syncro-skiing (either side by side or one in front/one behind)
flat spinning (great for edge awareness)
hockey stop slides (get up some speed and see how far you can side slip before you stop)
"the pole game" great for getting people to look up, you ski down a ways on the trail while the other waits above, you hold up either one pole, two poles or crossed poles ("three"), and as the person skis down to you they yell out the number that they see as you keep switching it.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowballs!
Tell them too make a snowball.
Take their poles with you and ski down the hill a bit.
The game is that they have to ski down the hill, making (5 or 10 or 15 or whatever) good turns, while holding the snowball (and their shoulders) downhill pointed at you.
If they can get to you while still holding the snowball downhill, they can throw it at you.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was skiing with my kids this past weekend, they were a little scared of what was for them a "steep" drop down to the green terrain. I decided to make it a game for them and remembered a game they played in swim lessons to get them to practice their front crawl strokes. They have to ask the "leader" what time it is and the "leader" tells them a number. In swimming its how many strokes they have to make. For us it was how many turns. So when it was "steeper" they were busy counting their turns, and were not concentrating on it being steep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly