• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lifts that load with a conveyer belt

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I may have already written in this thread, but just to reiterate: I HATE them too. I was skiing one day at St. Sauveur where two things really bug me: toilets that flush automatically and a conveyor-loading lift. Maybe it's my advanced age, but I am quite capable of flushing a toilet by myself - and of getting on a chair lift without mechanical help.

marzNC

Angel Diva
To avoid beginners and intermediates getting the wrong idea the conveyor loading is somehow dangerous or difficult to learn, the Divas above who hate conveyor loading are all advanced skiers who have been skiing for quite a while. That means for them getting to the correct spot in time to load a fast moving chair doesn't require any thought at all. Advanced skiers can essentially "ski on" without stopping when there is no lift line. That's true even when there is an RFID gate to cross before getting ready to load.

Having skied with kids as well as beginning adults at Massanutten, my take on conveyor loading is that it's quite useful for fixed-grip lifts used primarily by novices and intermediates who don't ski that often.

How it works in Europe is completely a different question. I haven't skied in Europe but my understanding is that the way queuing and skiing goes in the Alps is pretty different than in N. America. Certainly a lot more gondolas and trams and long, long groomers.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe it's my advanced age, but I am quite capable of flushing a toilet by myself

They annoy me, too, but it occurs to me that they ensure that toilets are flushed - even when the person in question can't be bothered or is too afraid of germs to touch the handle themselves.

(Don't get me started on women peeing all over the seat because they're afraid of germs. LADY, YOU *ARE* THE GERM.)

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a bit awkward when the tips are on the belt and my tails are still on the snow in the loading area, but I found that if I lean forward and plant my poles on the belt forward of my toes, it goes much better.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, they pee on the seat! And then they flush with their foot! After walking all over the ladies' room floor! I learned this from a friend, a devoted shoe-flusher, and after she told me I started seeing the shoe-marks on the wall. So disheartening.

Listen to me b*tch and whine. I am fighting off a migraine, and the Imitrex makes me feel sick while the pain isn't yet gone. GRUMBLE
:frusty: :confused: :frown:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I haven't skied in Europe but my understanding is that the way queuing and skiing goes in the Alps is pretty different than in N. America. Certainly a lot more gondolas and trams and long, long groomers.

Queuing in Europe? Are you kidding? It's basically a free for all.... And then going through the scanners is different if it doesn't pick up on your pass....Gate won't let you through and people are yelling in 5 different languages.
And then skiing on a conveyor belt and 7 other skiers are standing there looking relaxed when I'm terrified.....other than that, I love skiing in Europe and it's quite an experience.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not to mention drag lifts.... they laugh at Americans .... but yes a run could be several miles and take 1/2 hour to get down or more..... if you're skiing to another village.
Hey how about a diva trip in europe?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Zillertal is a valley in Tirol between Salzburg and Innsbruck, south of the E45. I've skied Mayrhofen with areas of Penken/ Ahorn/ Rastkogel/ Eggalm. Also Zillertal Arena, with Gerlos, Kaltenbach – Hochzillertal/Hochfügen and Hintertux Glacier. So much variety to choose from. This will be my 5th year to go there with my German friends.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, they pee on the seat! And then they flush with their foot! After walking all over the ladies' room floor! I learned this from a friend, a devoted shoe-flusher, and after she told me I started seeing the shoe-marks on the wall. So disheartening.

Listen to me b*tch and whine. I am fighting off a migraine, and the Imitrex makes me feel sick while the pain isn't yet gone. GRUMBLE
:frusty: :confused: :frown:

Hope your head is better!! Do you get the migraines with the big low pressure systems? I've discovered the when there are low pressures east and west of me my head is the barometer and just wicked migraine.. hope your's is gone.. Hope you can go skiing fresh air and Fun should help get it gone!!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only used a conveyer belt loading system a couple times, but honestly didn't have a big problem with it. Could take it or leave it. Doesn't really matter to me. Does make the chair coming up behind you nice and gentle, though ...

newboots

Angel Diva
Hope your head is better!! Do you get the migraines with the big low pressure systems? I've discovered the when there are low pressures east and west of me my head is the barometer and just wicked migraine.. hope your's is gone.. Hope you can go skiing fresh air and Fun should help get it gone!!

Imitrex + sleep usually does it. And YES - whenever I'm wondering if the weird ill feeling I have might turn into a migraine, checking the weather will confirm it! (Mind don't usually start with a headache, just strange, vague symptoms.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly