• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2017-18

Jen

Certified Ski Diva
I just recently got into skiing, I was hoping someone with more experience could tell me when the East Coast resorts normally open. I'm in Philly, so mainly thinking about the Poconos. I'm itching to get out there, but I might be getting ahead of myself!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just recently got into skiing, I was hoping someone with more experience could tell me when the East Coast resorts normally open. I'm in Philly, so mainly thinking about the Poconos. I'm itching to get out there, but I might be getting ahead of myself!
Hello! Post a few more times and you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill threads for Divas Only. There is one that covers eastern PA.

Where have you skied so far?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Jen !
If you follow Blue and/or Camelback on Facebook or Twitter they'll post updates about snowmaking and eventually announce an opening date.
Big Boulder is mostly terrain park, so if you're a very new skier, it might not be the ideal place to go right now, since it will be very crowded with people using the park features. But heck, it's $25 and is IS skiing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking has started in earnest in NC. Sugar and Cataloochee are starting to look white on webcams.

Still too warm in northern VA.

It's snowed a little in WV at Snowshoe and in the Canaan Valley. Both CV and Timberline are expected to open mid-December. For sure Snowshoe will open for Thanksgiving weekend.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe announced on Facebook that they will indeed be opening on Friday, Nov. 24. "We will definitely have Skidder (slope and lift), Heisler Way, Mid-Whistlepunk, and Whiffletree. We are also pushing for Spruce and Powder Monkey but cannot yet guarantee they will open by Friday." Looking at the forecast lows, looks like snowmaking will be possible every night through the weekend. Although there is a brief warm up on Friday.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend who works on the grooming crew at Blue Mountain posted this on her FB page just now. So they're not just blowing, they're pushing. Hopefully an announcement of a Black Friday opening is imminent.
Snow Cat Blue.jpg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like late Nov and early Dec will be good opportunities for snowmaking in the southeast. Per usual WV will be way ahead. But that's why people who live in DC tend to drive to Snowshoe or the Canaan Valley for skiing if they want to find slopes that aren't as crowded as is usual for PA daytime skiing.

My go to source for ski info in NC/VA/WV is Ski Southeast. Although with all the webcams that SkiSE has helped install in recent years, it's not that hard to get a live look at the situation for the ski areas within a half-day drive of Raleigh.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Divas who are interested in meeting up in mid-December in eastern PA should take a look at the Meet On The Hill threads. Send me a PM if you can't find the threads.

If you are a relatively new member, post a bit more and you'll be able to see all the Divas Only threads. One way to quickly add enough posts is to create a Getting To Know You Thread. If you include your location or favorite ski region, you might get to "meet" some local Divas that way.

Jen

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you very much! I joined late last season, so looks like I need a few more posts to get access to that. I have some questions about a trip to Utah later this month, so that should cover it :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like the Mountains of Distinction agreement still exists. Found the list of participating ski areas on the Wintergreen website. Haven't paid that much attention before since I get a season pass at Massanutten and rarely ski Wintergreen. Didn't register that Wachusett, Jiminy Peak, Windham, and Sunapee are included. Wachusett, Windham (first season), and Sunapee are also on the MAX Pass for 2017-18.

Wintergreen is a lot of fun midweek because of the high speed lifts and a fully automated snowmaking system that also includes a 5 million gallon water storage tank. But a zoo on weekends. At least that was the case when I went around 10 years ago. Doesn't help that people who aren't property owners can't get a season pass that includes Saturdays for any amount of money. A non-owner season pass is not good during regular season Saturdays or Sunday mornings. Also owners have separate lift lines. On weekends, Wintergreen is essentially an amenity for people who own a condo there.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 11.49.45 AM.png

Last edited:

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like Shawnee MT in the Poconos is now open weekdays, anyone have any experience skiing there? I'm assuming less crowded than Blue, any problems?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like Shawnee MT in the Poconos is now open weekdays, anyone have any experience skiing there? I'm assuming less crowded than Blue, any problems?
Have you looked at the Shawnee slope cam much?

I stopped by to look at the base in the fall when I was staying at the Wyndham timeshare resort in Shawnee on Delaware right down the road from Shawnee Ski Mountain. But the parking lot was blocked off because they were getting ready for a festival event so didn't get too close.

Looking at the stats (700 vertical, 2 high speed quads, a few other fixed grip lifts) and how they market as a family friendly place to learn, it may be like Massanutten. More of an amenity like a golf course for the people staying at the slope side lodging or the large timeshare resort a few miles away. Meaning that few advanced skiers bother with Shawnee unless they are with relatives who are learning or kids who are intermediates. The teens and young adults who get bored cruising short groomers probably stay in the terrain park. From what @SallyCat has said about Blue, my guess is that Shawnee would be a more relaxing place to ski during early season even when only one high speed quad is open.

On weekdays, I can't imagine any place is busy during early season. Mostly just season pass holders who stop in for a few hours in the morning, or who live close enough to ski for an hour or two at night. I usually can't find anyone to ride the lift with for a chat when I do midweek ski safaris in the mid-Atlantic, or even in NY/VT/NH during early (Dec) or late season (March). That's why I try to meet up with a Diva or two when if I decide enough in advance on a date and location.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I've never been to Shawnee. From what I understand it's a good, small mountain that is very family oriented, but otherwise nothing too exciting about it. Jack Frost and Montage aren't bad as far as crowds on the weekend as far as alternatives to Blue.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue opened Lazy Mile today, and I think I got first tracks on it. Sunny and cold, it was really nice to enjoy a snowy landscape. The groomed snow was really good and from 8 to 9 there were no lift lines at all. By 10am the line at the Main St./Burma chairs was 20 minutes. So I got a solid two hours of great skiing in and then called it a day. If I didn't have a pile of grading to do at home, I might have stuck it out, because the snow was really fun and the slow lifts sort of kept the trails from being too crowded. Here are a couple of pics from first thing in the morning:
Blue Morning View.jpg Blue Lazy Mile.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna