• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best time to ski Aspen?

Sparky

Angel Diva
Hi ski divas! DH and I are trying to make the most of our mountain collective pass and thinking about skiing Aspen Snowmass this winter. With some other trips already planned, we could go to Aspen either early January 4, March 22 or April 6. Is late March or early April too late in the season? Obviously every season may differ, but in general, are any of these times typically good and/or better than the others? Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi ski divas! DH and I are trying to make the most of our mountain collective pass and thinking about skiing Aspen Snowmass this winter. With some other trips already planned, we could go to Aspen either early January 4, March 22 or April 6. Is late March or early April too late in the season? Obviously every season may differ, but in general, are any of these times typically good and/or better than the others? Thanks!
Based on my first trip to Aspen in late March, I wouldn't plan a trip there for April. My trip was a few years ago the last week of March before late season rates kicked in. Average season, nothing particularly unusual about the late season snowpack. My ski buddy and I had a good powder day at Snowmass, then decent spring skiing at Ajax the next day. By the third day, it was too warm on the lower mountain at Aspen Highlands to ski at all. High 50's by lunch time. We opted to take the free mountain tour at 1:00pm. The mountain host showed us the best way down to the base for skiers who normally ski black terrain. Still meant taking off our skis at one point to walk on dirt for a short way. We quit before 2:30pm. Highlands has the highest elevation of the four mountains, so that's where locals go during late season.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I teach at Snowmass. We have had unseasonably warm weather in March during some years. I prefer January. March would be my 2nd choice with April a distant third.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, Highlands and Buttermilk close earlier than the other mountains. Aspen Mtn. usually stays open the longest -Memorial Day skiing on the upper mtn most years but it is limited. Highlands gets alot of sun.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Based on my first trip to Aspen in late March, I wouldn't plan a trip there for April. My trip was a few years ago the last week of March before late season rates kicked in. Average season, nothing particularly unusual about the late season snowpack. My ski buddy and I had a good powder day at Snowmass, then decent spring skiing at Ajax the next day. By the third day, it was too warm on the lower mountain at Aspen Highlands to ski at all. High 50's by lunch time. We opted to take the free mountain tour at 1:00pm. The mountain host showed us the best way down to the base for skiers who normally ski black terrain. Still meant taking off our skis at one point to walk on dirt for a short way. We quit before 2:30pm. Highlands has the highest elevation of the four mountains, so that's where locals go during late season.

I teach at Snowmass. We have had unseasonably warm weather in March during some years. I prefer January. March would be my 2nd choice with April a distant third.

Thanks, good to know! We would just be going for 2-3 days so I'd be bummed if it was too warm. That's the problem with planning any ski trip I guess, you just never know... But it sounds like Aspen in January is typically much better than March so we will try to see if we can go then. It might just not work out.

I knew Aspen was pricey, but looking at hotel rates... geez!!! We're going to try and use points for the Westin Snowmass. Any opinions on this property?

Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks, good to know! We would just be going for 2-3 days so I'd be bummed if it was too warm. That's the problem with planning any ski trip I guess, you just never know... But it sounds like Aspen in January is typically much better than March so we will try to see if we can go then. It might just not work out.

I knew Aspen was pricey, but looking at hotel rates... geez!!! We're going to try and use points for the Westin Snowmass. Any opinions on this property?

Thanks!
Yep, staying in the town of Aspen or in Snowmass is pricey. All depends on your priorities. A few Divas enjoyed staying at the Element in Basalt soon after it was completed. Means driving a bit to ski, but there are free parking options to hook into the good free shuttle bus system. Or can take the regional bus from Basalt and leave the car parked.

For my late season trip, we had rooms at the Days Inn in Carbondale and that worked out fine. There are several good restaurants in Carbondale and they aren't all just a bar & grill with good food. One advantage of late season is that there isn't any morning traffic to deal with. During mid-season, it took twice as long to get to a parking lot or a mountain. But we had enough people to park for free at Two Creeks for Snowmass and in the Highlands parking deck (have to arrive early enough).

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Thanks!

The Westin in Snowmass is a fantastic location. Can't be beat. If you can use points, that would be great. The RFTA bus stop is near the Westin so you have easy and free access to the orther mountains and Aspen. Many of the Aspen resturants have bar menus which are less pricey than regular menus.

For future reference, I received several 40% off condo coupons from several property management companies if you booked by October 15.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I stayed at an Airbnb in Basalt, which is closer to the resorts than Carbondale. In the morning I drove 82 to the Brush Creek Intercept parking lot and took the free RFTA bus to either Snowmass or Aspen. It was all very fast and convenient. Basalt also has a cute little main street with good restaurants.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Yep, staying in the town of Aspen or in Snowmass is pricey. All depends on your priorities. A few Divas enjoyed staying at the Element in Basalt soon after it was completed. Means driving a bit to ski, but there are free parking options to hook into the good free shuttle bus system. Or can take the regional bus from Basalt and leave the car parked.

For my late season trip, we had rooms at the Days Inn in Carbondale and that worked out fine. There are several good restaurants in Carbondale and they aren't all just a bar & grill with good food. One advantage of late season is that there isn't any morning traffic to deal with. During mid-season, it took twice as long to get to a parking lot or a mountain. But we had enough people to park for free at Two Creeks for Snowmass and in the Highlands parking deck (have to arrive early enough).
We actually looked at the Element in Basalt but ideally we don't want to stay too far so that we can just shuttle and not need to rent a car. Looks like we may be able to use points at the Westin and it actually seems like a good deal since January costs the same amount of points as March, even though it costs almost double in dollars! We just still need to play around with some dates and figure out flights (also pricey! So trying to use points here too). Fingers crossed...

Sparky

Angel Diva
The Westin in Snowmass is a fantastic location. Can't be beat. If you can use points, that would be great. The RFTA bus stop is near the Westin so you have easy and free access to the orther mountains and Aspen. Many of the Aspen resturants have bar menus which are less pricey than regular menus.

For future reference, I received several 40% off condo coupons from several property management companies if you booked by October 15.
Thanks! We're trying to make the Westin work. Good to know about the 40% off, we'll check in with you next year if we dont make it this season or if we do and decide to go back!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly