• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Joining the injury club

ride_ski

Angel Diva
So I figured I'd post this now that I have an idea on when I can start rehabbing. Anyone ever heard of a lisfranc injury? Well, I hadn't either until about 4 weeks ago. Long story short, I was in my weekly trampoline/trapeze class and landed wrong on the tramp. As soon as I landed, I knew I hurt my right foot. After icing for a bit, I decided I better start driving home before it swelled up. After multiple Xrays and an MRI, I was finally diagnosed with a lisfranc sprain- which is a sprain of the mid foot, essentially the part that holds your entire foot together. The good news is that none of the bones fractured and that I didn't have any ligaments detach - both of those require immediate surgery. Bad news is that this usually takes a long time to heal. I've been non-weight bearing and in a boot since it happened and that will continue for another 2 weeks (I have been able to drive even though it's my right foot). Then I can start partial weight bearing and PT. There isn't a ton of info on this type of sprain and the recovery process/ long term effects as lisfranc injuries are uncommon and most of them end up being fractures and needing surgery. But I'm staying hopeful.

I did end up getting a cool crutch that has allowed me to get around much easier. It's called the iWalk. If anyone needs to be NWB for a long period of time, I highly recommend it- it's been a life saver. And I don't live in a palm tree area, so that is not me in the picture, but I'm sure I look just as good on mine :smile:

iwalk-features.jpg

Jilly

Staff member
Sorry to hear this. But isn't that a great device. My book keeper had to have ankle surgery and she got one of those to get around....and a scooter version.

So peg leg......

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not dealing with the same injury, but also dealing with a foot ligament issue. Basically one of my feet is considerably larger than the other and I got new ski boots last year that caused 3 ligaments on the outside of my foot to stretch out, or become sprained in a non-acute fashion where the boot was pushing a joint apart. It does take awhile to heal and what my biggest setbacks have been are footwear. I learned the hard way that there are different types of rubber used in athletic shoes, probably knew this but didn't really know. The cushioned type of athletic shoes with the sole rubber that will show compression marks are a big no no. I had to replace 2 pairs of these, I couldn't walk for 3 days after wearing a minimalist type crosstrainer with a more cushioned sole after 1 workout. Work shoes are another story, I have not found a good pair yety that aren't too soft, wide, or narrow but I did find some new boots that are good width wise with a nice firm sole so I at least have one pair that I can wear now that winter is here. I have tried to fudge on this but even an hour in a too soft, narrow or too wide shoe will set my progress back drastically. I also wear shoes around the house to clean in because socks are still just not enough support for any period of time on my feet. The good news though is I do great great in anything with a stiffer sole so ski boots ( that fit ) should be okay. Good luck, I hope you heal fast.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, man. That really stinks, especially given the fracture you went through just a couple years ago. Wishing you a very fast and full recovery. And keep us updated on how you're doing.

And the dues are steep.....

Indeed.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
what my biggest setbacks have been are footwear.

On some of the forums I have found people talking about that being a big issue. I'm hoping that I won't have some of the difficulties others have after surgery (fallen arches, problems getting their gait to be normal). Many people say they need a custom orthotic so their arch is supported. I guess I'll just have to wait and see and stay positive in the mean time.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure we could work the elliptical in the gym 5 days a week.

I'm sure I would lose my f'ing mind doing that.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BUMMER!!! So sorry to hear this.. not sure if Arnica will help? works for deep tissue bruising...
your crutch is very cool but I hope it goes in the closet asap!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because of you I started using Arnica shortly after it happened. I admit that I did forget about it the first few days, but then remembered.

Hope it helps!! Health food stores sell pills too. I took them w/broken bones and wrecked MCL (my ouch this summer).

mustski

Angel Diva
Sheesh. It’s been a year of injuries for the divas! Everybody else-listen up- do not join this club! Sorry to hear this @ride_ski . Hopefully your recovery will be uncomplicated!

newboots

Angel Diva
Hope it helps!! Health food stores sell pills too. I took them w/broken bones and wrecked MCL (my ouch this summer).

My massage/craniosacral therapist suggested I take Arnica pills, 4 pills, 4x/day for 30 days. She feels it will quiet my whole body, so much of which often seems inflamed or 'bent out of shape.'

I'm feeling much better, although moving and living in two places at once has created lapses in my follow-through. Could be living in Vermont, though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly