• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Sky, Montana - 1/20 thru 1/24 2014

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
When the forum had its annual meet-up at Big Sky two years ago (go here to read about it), I vowed I’d be back.

And why not? The variety of terrain is fantastic. You want groomers? Check. Tree skiing? Check. Bowls? Check. Steeps? Check. You can ski for days without doing the same thing twice. Plus I love the character of the place. For a huge resort, Big Sky doesn’t have the commercial feel of a resort like Vail or Park City. It’s big, but it has a warmer, more community ski hill vibe. Perhaps that has to do with its location; it’s not that easy to reach. Big Sky isn’t near a huge population center, like Denver or Salt Lake. And as a destination resort, well, we flew in from LaGuardia, and it was a pretty long — and indirect — haul. Which probably keeps a lot of people away. But that’s part of its charm. Low crowds, great skiing, fantastic terrain. All in all, it’s hard to beat.

So when I decided to come out west for this year’s Ski Diva meet-up, I figured I’d get an early start. I returned to Big Sky, where I visited SkiSailor. SS moved here from Pennsylvania not too long ago, and she’s now a Big Sky instructor. It’s always great to have a local guide.

Here we are over in the Dakota section of Big Sky.

TwoDivas.jpg

As you can see, our first day was glorious. Blue skies, bright sun, and moderate temperatures — a combo we don’t get too often in New England. I love Vermont, but I can’t say I’m sorry to be out of the deep freeze (they've had below zero temps lately. Argh).

Here’s Lone Peak, the centerpiece mountain of the resort. Yes, we went waaaaaaay up to the tippy top and skied the Liberty Bowl:

And here’s a view, looking out from the top of the Challenger lift:

While that made for a lovely day, Big Sky needs more snow. Don’t get me wrong — it’s not suffering on the same level as Tahoe. Coverage is good, but like much of the west, it’s been drier than normal, and we did encounter a rock or two.

Then, on Wednesday, something magical happened: It snowed………….

and snowed…………….

which made me very, very happy:

We spent most of Wednesday in Moonlight Basin, which was recently acquired by Big Sky, making it the biggest ski resort in the country. Moonlight is somewhat mellower than Big Sky, and we fell in love with the trees over there.

Speaking of trees, here's a pic of the Wounded Knee glade after it snowed. Doesn’t this look delicious?

The weather has been fabulous. Temps all week in the 20's, though it felt a lot warmer, thanks to a steady diet of blue skies and sun.

Here are some other pics from the trip:

Clouds.jpg

CloudLake.jpg

Trails.jpg

I think it's safe to say that Big Sky may be my favorite western resort. So much terrain, so much great skiing. I'll definitely be back!

Last edited:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
What a time we had! :smile: And that completely unpredicted little Wednesday snowstorm took the cake. It was so much fun skiing with Ski Diva and Mr. Ski Diva! And I was very happy that I could guide them around. Except . . ahem . . . when I took them on a "death traverse" instead of taking the obvious groomer that went to the same run . . . . . ooops. :becky: It's SO big, I'm still learning the place myself!

Anyway . . . I can't say enough about the amazing terrain and lack of crowds here at Big Sky and hope that more divas will come to Montana and experience it for themselves!

And if you do, please look me up!!! Would love to show you around. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, those moguls look like they are on a nice, gentle pitch. In that case, I might learn to like moguls! (Following up on our convo last night about who likes skiing moguls.) Big Sky looks amazing--not a long drive from Ogden, so I might have to head up there once we move here!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
So, those moguls look like they are on a nice, gentle pitch. In that case, I might learn to like moguls! (Following up on our convo last night about who likes skiing moguls.) Big Sky looks amazing--not a long drive from Ogden, so I might have to head up there once we move here!

Yes. . . that run starts out with bumps on a green/blue pitch and and then gradually steepens as you make your way down. But there are lots and lots of glades on various pitches - on both the Big Sky and Moonlight sides - WAY FUN!! As far as bumps at Big Sky, you can go steep, medium, shallow, rolling, open or gladed . . . you pick it. :smile:

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been searching for a thread about Big Sky... we are booked to go there this season! Just got our plane tickets last night for end of Feb/beginning of March. It will be our first time there, so I'm pretty stoked! Those pictures are great - I want to go to all the places. And love knowing that there are nice glades too... seems like it's a pretty well-rounded resort from what I gather. Now we just need to book lodging...

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband and I are booked to be there end of January and part of the first week of February. Then down to Snowbasin for a couple of days on the drive back. Of course, we are also booked into Summit County, Colorado for the same time period. It will all depend on the snow ...that is how DH likes to play it.

Big Sky is one destination that I must get to at some point in my life, so I am hoping this will be the year!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Woohoo COchick and badger!!

Please feel free to PM me for advice and/or I would love to show you around or at least take a few runs together. I'm on the mountain every day and teaching most days but can usually make time for free skiing, especially with advance notice.

It's a really really really big place. So skiing with a local has its benefits. :smile:

I know you'll love Big Sky.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woohoo COchick and badger!!

Please feel free to PM me for advice and/or I would love to show you around or at least take a few runs together. I'm on the mountain every day and teaching most days but can usually make time for free skiing, especially with advance notice.

It's a really really really big place. So skiing with a local has its benefits. :smile:

I know you'll love Big Sky.

Hey if you throw it out there.... I just may take you up on that. :smile: Fingers crossed the ole knees hold up for another year! This has been on my bucket list for a while so I'm pretty excited about it. I love trying new places, and even better, I've not even been to Montana at all before! New state, new resort. I would LOVE to have someone local show me around a bit and go for a few runs! It's not completely settled yet but my normal ski buddy might not be coming on the trip this year... Oh and I guess we are going to do the snow mobile thing into Yellowstone to see the geyser in action. Sounds pretty cool though it's always hard to take a day off from skiing... ha!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Hey if you throw it out there.... I just may take you up on that. :smile: Fingers crossed the ole knees hold up for another year! This has been on my bucket list for a while so I'm pretty excited about it. I love trying new places, and even better, I've not even been to Montana at all before! New state, new resort. I would LOVE to have someone local show me around a bit and go for a few runs! It's not completely settled yet but my normal ski buddy might not be coming on the trip this year... Oh and I guess we are going to do the snow mobile thing into Yellowstone to see the geyser in action. Sounds pretty cool though it's always hard to take a day off from skiing... ha!

You got it! Just tell me what kind of terrain you are looking for and I'll be happy to give you a tour.

I've heard the Yellowstone snowmobiling is really fun - as long as quiet and contemplative is not your expectation. :wink: But DO rent the one piece suit even if you are confident you've got warm enough clothing. You need it to avoid having your clothes smell like snowmobile exhaust for the rest of the week!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Just so that you have a snow update:
We are having a way above average (relative to the past 5 years or so) start here at Big Sky. Great base depth and a lot of terrain open. I've already made runs off the peak and off our Challenger chair. The mountain is skiing really well with some significant snow predicted for this weekend.

Ya never know. The snow gods can be fickle. But we are having a really great start here at Big Sky.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been watching the conditions and YES we are stoked!! I hope it keeps up! *fingers crossed*

Now just to get fit. I had a bit of a stumbling block when I broke my ribs a month ago... shenanigans. As of today they are finally feeling a bit better so I can get back into exercising, but I'm a little afraid it's too little too late. But we shall see! I just need the old knees to hold up!

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
True, very true! LOL!

In addition to some on-mountain guidance, I'm also open to any great restaurant suggestions. We're foodie-type people... Normally we cook on ski trips but I think we may eat out some this time.

By the way, I see that Montana is getting pounded right now... like... "don't drive out there at all" pounding. I hope you're having epic days on the hill!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
True, very true! LOL!

In addition to some on-mountain guidance, I'm also open to any great restaurant suggestions. We're foodie-type people... Normally we cook on ski trips but I think we may eat out some this time.

By the way, I see that Montana is getting pounded right now... like... "don't drive out there at all" pounding. I hope you're having epic days on the hill!

Yes! We ARE getting pounded! And more on the way.

As far as food for true foodies . . . Best in the mountain village is The Cabin. But much better -in the Meadow Village is Olive Bs or Michaelangelos.

TONS of top notch foodie restaurants in Bozeman. . . .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna