• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Loveland snowmaking count down for 2017-18, any guess for opening day?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It really would be a guess. Snowmaking is so incredibly dependent on very immediate temperatures, not just trends. A few years ago, Breck had to postpone opening by a week and had zero snow made - the whole mountain was brown. On opening day, we had feet of natural snow and were skiing off-piste powder (we didn't care about our bases, obviously).

marzNC

Angel Diva
It really would be a guess. Snowmaking is so incredibly dependent on very immediate temperatures, not just trends. A few years ago, Breck had to postpone opening by a week and had zero snow made - the whole mountain was brown. On opening day, we had feet of natural snow and were skiing off-piste powder (we didn't care about our bases, obviously).
The SkiSE folks do a guessing game every season for when the first snowfall will happen just for fun. People pick a date for bragging rights. I think an inch on one of the NC ski slopes qualifies. Average snowfall for the season is well under 50 inches. The range of guesses is usually from mid-Nov to late Dec.

I'll pick Nov. 9. That's when the Boston Ski Expo starts. :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe it's been October for A Basin as long as I have been paying attention. It better not be mid November!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ah, I only gave a date for Loveland Opening Day. I'll take Oct. 1 for start of Snowmaking.

Snowmaking Starts
10/1 - MarzNC
10/18 - nopoleskier

Loveland Opening Day
10/31 - nopoleskier
11/9 - MarzNC

No experience or previous knowledge about Loveland necessary to pick a date. Who else wants to play? :bounce:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hrmm .. I'm going to say Oct 20 / Oct 25. Mama wants a big early season storm =)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oops - here -

Snowmaking Starts
10/1 - MarzNC
10/18 - nopoleskier
10/20 - bounceswoosh

Loveland Opening Day
10/25 - bounceswoosh
10/31 - nopoleskier
11/9 - MarzNC

PS though - 11/9 would be around Breck's opening day, and I would be shocked if LL opened that late.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll pick Nov. 9. That's when the Boston Ski Expo starts. :smile:
Ahhh, the Ski Expo. Was at Boston comic con all weekend with DC and all I could think was how the Con used to be across the street where the Ski Expo is held, and thinking I should look up the dates to mark on my calendar.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking Starts
10/1 - MarzNC
10/18 - nopoleskier
10/20 - bounceswoosh

Loveland Opening Day
10/25 - bounceswoosh
10/28 - Robyn
10/31 - nopoleskier
11/9 - MarzNC

newboots

Angel Diva
Um, Easterner here. Snowmaking 10/5, opening day 10/15. Based on nothing at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Um, Easterner here. Snowmaking 10/5, opening day 10/15. Based on nothing at all.
You never know. That's why the guessing game is fun. :banana:

Snowmaking Starts
10/1 - MarzNC
10/5 - newboots
10/18 - nopoleskier
10/20 - bounceswoosh

Loveland Opening Day
10/15 - newboots
10/25 - bounceswoosh
10/28 - Robyn
10/31 - nopoleskier
11/9 - MarzNC

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fun! I'm gonna be a party pooper here (more like worst case scenario... or an exaggerated Price Is Right Strategy, somewhat based on long-term forecast):

Snowmaking 11/1; opening 11/24

marzNC

Angel Diva
A lot of dates left to pick in Oct. :dance:

Snowmaking Starts
10/1 - MarzNC
10/5 - newboots
10/18 - nopoleskier
10/20 - bounceswoosh
11/1 - Fluffy Kitty

Loveland Opening Day
10/15 - newboots