• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Bindings for Renoun Z90's?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat I respect that. But I'm sad to see you go.

The internet is a pretty big buffet, with a lot of stuff we enjoy and some that we don't.

*Note: Phil actually went out of his way to contact the Salomon product manager to share your concern. He said he'd be happy to take a look at it, but it needed to get into a shop so it could be sent back to Salomon.

Last edited:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
" . . . Read on other forum some move up an inch?"

Hi Mel!

With regard to where to mount the binding, I do this Ursula-thing. I described it in another thread, but darn if I can remember where that is.

I duct tape the toe and heel pieces to the flat ski (at the appropriate distance apart for my BSL) and move them around until the ski balances fore/aft at a point under the place where the ball of my foot sits within the boot. I use a broomstick or anything narrow enough to act as a fulcrum to balance the ski on.

This ensures that the flat ski - with the actual binding that you choose! - will be balanced and will have its easiest pivot point (with regard to swing weight) exactly where you want it to be.

Then I simply tell the shop where to mount the binding relative to the center mounting mark.

Knowing how you ski, I think you would really like using this method.
On some skis, this point will end up matching the recommended center mounting location. But that is not always the case! And a mounting point even a half a centimeter forward or back can really affect the way a ski skis.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
" . . . Read on other forum some move up an inch?"

Hi Mel!

With regard to where to mount the binding, I do this Ursula-thing. I described it in another thread, but darn if I can remember where that is.

I duct tape the toe and heel pieces to the flat ski (at the appropriate distance apart for my BSL) and move them around until the ski balances fore/aft at a point under the place where the ball of my foot sits within the boot. I use a broomstick or anything narrow enough to act as a fulcrum to balance the ski on.

This ensures that the flat ski - with the actual binding that you choose! - will be balanced and will have its easiest pivot point (with regard to swing weight) exactly where you want it to be.

Then I simply tell the shop where to mount the binding relative to the center mounting mark.

Knowing how you ski, I think you would really like using this method.
On some skis, this point will end up matching the recommended center mounting location. But that is not always the case! And a mounting point even a half a centimeter forward or back can really affect the way a ski skis.

I LOVE IT!!!! Thank you!!! I will use this method!!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I LOVE IT!!!! Thank you!!! I will use this method!!

Great. :smile: If you have any questions about it once you get going, just pm me. I use a magic marker and place a mark on the big toe side of the boot at the location where the ball of my foot sits.

Once I'm happy that the ski is balancing at this spot, I compare the location of the boot centerline mark (all boots have this indicated on the boot) relative to the center mounting point indicated on the ski. I measure the gap and that's what I report to the shop. Since I am small and tend to ski women's skis, I often have to tell them - please mount 1 cm back of centerline (i.e. manufacturers recommended) - or whatever it happens to be.

I assume the Remouns are unisex (?) but it will be interesting to see where they balance. :smile:

It's amazing how great it is to get the ski balanced with its pivot point under the ball of your foot - so you have equal weight in front of, and behind, that spot.

When you ski women's skis or if you go with the typical "forward" mounting point recommendation for women, you end up with a ski that pivots around the arch. I did that for years and didn't know what I was missing until Ursula explained all this to me.

The whole "mount it forward" for women thing came about on the theory that we all have big butts and so have more trouble than men keeping our center of mass forward. :crazy:

But even with unisex or men's skis, the center mounting point will not necessarily match the ball of the foot location, and is also affected by the binding you choose and the weights of the toe and heel pieces.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great. :smile: If you have any questions about it once you get going, just pm me. I use a magic marker and place a mark on the big toe side of the boot at the location where the ball of my foot sits.

Once I'm happy that the ski is balancing at this spot, I compare the location of the boot centerline mark (all boots have this indicated on the boot) relative to the center mounting point indicated on the ski. I measure the gap and that's what I report to the shop. Since I am small and tend to ski women's skis, I often have to tell them - please mount 1 cm back of centerline (i.e. manufacturers recommended) - or whatever it happens to be.

I assume the Remouns are unisex (?) but it will be interesting to see where they balance. :smile:

It's amazing how great it is to get the ski balanced with its pivot point under the ball of your foot - so you have equal weight in front of, and behind, that spot.

When you ski women's skis or if you go with the typical "forward" mounting point recommendation for women, you end up with a ski that pivots around the arch. I did that for years and didn't know what I was missing until Ursula explained all this to me.

The whole "mount it forward" for women thing came about on the theory that we all have big butts and so have more trouble than men keeping our center of mass forward. :crazy:

But even with unisex or men's skis, the center mounting point will not necessarily match the ball of the foot location, and is also affected by the binding you choose and the weights of the toe and heel pieces.

Perfect explanation! thank you so much!! Yes they are unisex, I'll let you know, fortunately my ski guys at my Mt are open minded and know how I ski too>

I agree with the women need to be forward to me is BS.. maybe because I've always skied men's skis and had 'normal' mounting points.
Only when Atomic made The lady Metron's I tried 'lady's skis" and I got hooked on the metron's that became heaven's gates and now Atomic 11's but I know the mount is balanced and not back. When I demo some lady skis I'll remark I don't like them and ask about the forward mount and yup that's why I don't like them! I think I dislike Volkls because they often mount demo's forward and I'm just so used to being balanced (big butt and all, lol)

Thank you sooo Much!!! Hope I get to ski with you this winter :-)

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
is there any difference in the
PIVOT 12 DUAL WTR B95 BLACK and newer models?

sadly The 2017's some have been recalled.. 18's out of stock.

I need binding for my renouns Renoun suggested Looks..

Maybe I should just go w/marker

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@nopoleskier Read up on all the differences now with the Attack ramp angle difference in one of the bindings as well as the WTR differences in some of the 2018 -- not sure what boots you had? Even Marker has changed their toe piece this year. Could get last years Squire on sale. I know there are those who don't like marker.... thinking some of that has to do with what the boot sole is like as far as snow sticking.....
What does Renoun suggest?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Renoun is suggesting the Look SPX. I have a small boot (21.5 true shell fit ) and went with the SPX Junior race bindings on my Z-77. Marker Squires are a pain for smaller boots especially, which I have learned by having these on my Kicker Filibusters. UGH.

You @WaterGirl are correct in noting the ramp angle difference between a Look and the Tyrolia Attack. The Attacks are flat, the Look has a bit of ramp. But not all Look bindings are the same in that regard.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I think I will go with Look SPX or Tyrolia Attack bindings.

I have a 900 mile drive ahead of us, plenty of time to do some research.

kiki

Angel Diva
I got the look spx
They took a bit of getting used to and i had to take them in to bring the din down but overall very pleased with them
And loving my z90s
Mention how much i love them to everyone around me every ski day lol!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@kiki, what took getting used to on the bindings? Thanks .

Think she like me had to get used to having the heel centered. The looks if not lined up right, The heel spins, the brake will drag. I liked it's way easy to know you're not in them properly so shouldn't have any release due to boot being in a binding crooked.

I'm like you @kiki I brag all the time, I just LOVE my skis, so glad you do too. I'm so sad my season is almost ending.. wish I could go to S America or Australia to get in some 'summer skiing' yes it would be nice to be rich and retired. LOL..

kiki

Angel Diva
Yes, @skibum4ever the binding was just a lot different than the marker system bindings I was used to, getting in and out felt weird at first. Also they were a bit stiff when brand new, the guy at the ski tunning centre open and closed them about 10 times by hand and after that no problem. After using them about a month I tried my old skis and had the reverse problem lol! I am quite pleased with them now.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Research indicated that last year's Rossignol Axial3 120 is equivalent to the Look SPX. I found them for $100 at the ski shop in Frisco where we normally get our skis mounted and tuned.

So feel free to chime in if you think this is not a good idea. I plan to take them in tomorrow afternoon to be mounted.

IMG_20180403_180503565.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly