• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for bringing a two year old...

marzNC

Angel Diva
Excellent advice thanks. I'd planned on taking a private lesson or two at the start of the holiday just to get comfortable with the mountain again and also to correct any bad habits I might have picked up. I'll ask them about a group lesson too once I have the first few days under my belt...
Private lessons are great. Only reason I mentioned group lessons is that there are times when it's possible to have a solo lesson at a group price. Depends on the ski school. Alta and Taos are places where doing group lessons for an intermediate can be a good approach to having more lessons instead of just one or two private lessons. I have no idea about ski schools in Europe.

For some people, a group lesson has other advantages besides price. For instance, when I was working on improving as an advanced skier I set up semi-private lessons with a friend because I discovered that I learn a lot observing what the instructor does someone else. Both watching and listening to what is said. A good instructor approaches every student a bit differently.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the sled idea. I believe that you can take the sled up on the gondi in Wilder Kaiser. 100% positive in Mayrhofen. Grab a sun chair at the slopeside cafe and pull her around. I have seen many people who bring toys on mountain for the little ones. Bonus if she falls asleep in the sled. Beach toys like shovels and buckets work on snow, too.

Get some sunglasses for her. Practice wearing them before you go.

Someone on here suggested putting a carabiner on her jacket to hold gloves, helmets, etc. during lunch breaks. It is a fantastic idea to keep things organized.

Take a snack box for her. Include a variety of sweet and salty things, dried fruits, Cheerios (breakfast cereal), cut fresh fruit, etc. Plastic boxes (think craft box or tool box or fishing lure box) with little compartments make perfect holders. Bring juice and a cup, too. If you get her on skis, little candy makes a good bribe or a reward.

The 2 year old son of a friend wanted nothing to do with skis, but loved walking around in the ski boots. (He even refused to take them off for naps.) The following year, he started skiing.

In about 30 minutes or less, you can be in Wörgl. There is an indoor pool there with a wonderful kids' area. And fun for the adults, as well. Wasserwelt.

As for your lessons, it can be a wonderful way to learn your way around the mountain. Maybe even make a friend to ski with when your husband is busy. I always advise taking a lesson first so that you don't reinforce your old bad habits.

Nervous Nellie

Diva in Training
Excellent advice from everyone here so thank you to all that replied.

I love the snack box idea. I hadn't thought of it before but it actually makes perfect sense!

My husband is a kayaker so we have plenty of carabiner's lying around too which will make life much easier.

I'm definitely going to take a lesson or two. As well as righting any bad habits, it'll give me a bit more confidence if I do end up skiing alone.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all your great tips. You've all been so lovely.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter got strap on Nordic skis for her second birthday. We let her ski all over the house on carpet which gave her good practice having skis on.

We played on Nordic skis in the yard her two year old winter and then put her on alpine skis right before her third birthday.

My main advice is to not push it and make sure it stays fun.

My daughter is now 7 and ski school took her down double blacks this year- so she's pretty competent. She still moves in shorter spurts and requires more breaks than we do- but she has no problem getting down big black bump runs.

The first few years are a LOT of work- but it gets easier quick!

Take a ton of pictures!!!

Nervous Nellie

Diva in Training
@Moonrocket that's an excellent idea! Thanks for the suggestion. It makes perfect sense to have our baba play practice around the house and garden. She'll be well used to them by the time we get her on the slopes.

That's amazing that your seven year old is going down double blacks. Go girlie!

Thanks for the words of encouragement too. I'm more apprehensive about this trip than the last one as our little one is now mobile and won't sit still for a second... I'm hoping she loves the snow and won't get bored after 10 minutes. Everyone says that this year will be the hardest due to her age but I'm staying positive and really looking forward to the time we'll get to spend together. She's a bit of a danger girl so hopefully putting her on skis will be right up her street. :ski3:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna