• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Crows?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone have any thoughts?
Will try to demo in next few weeks....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I fondled them at a backcountry shop. Hope to get on a pair in the spring.

Shop guy said he took a pair of the bc-oriented 97s (can't remember name - red) to his Avy 2, which was done as a hut trip. He hadn't ever skied them before, but he said he never had to think about them. To me, that's high praise for a touring ski.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
he said he never had to think about them. To me, that's high praise for a touring ski.

I agree. I like not having to think ;)

I can try several models at local shop along with Santa Anna. I also want to get on the new Samba.

I think they may have changed the side wall for this year for some of the black crows. I keep thinking about your full side wall comment @bounceswoosh, because well, that's all I own and seem to gravitate towards.....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmmm
I can demo birdie: camox, caption and artis. Web site says "abs sidewall semi cap step down"

These are women's front side.

Touring probably a bit different ....

I'm game, but my daily driver is the samba ......

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Rode up the gondola yesterday at Killington with a gal who has Black Crows and I asked her about them since I had never seen them before. She said she loves them - trying to place the top sheet; I know they were pink - they looked like an all mountain/frontside width - perhaps the Captis Birdie? She was tall (5'7") and went with a 160 something, expecting the 164.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally was able to get on the Camox Birdie mid day. I'm keeping them for an extended demo tommorrow.

Fun in the moguls, very driveable on hard pack and a total dream in the wind buff.

Was my top pick of the day :smile:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I finally was able to get on the Camox Birdie mid day. I'm keeping them for an extended demo tommorrow.

Fun in the moguls, very driveable on hard pack and a total dream in the wind buff.

Black Crows is not a ski you see very often. Just read up on the Camox Birdie - 97mm underfoot with 18% rocker in the front and 13% in the back. What length did you demo and how did that compare to your usual?

The 165 is 1650g which is right in line with the Santa Ana 169. They come in a 174 as well.

Looking forward to hearing how you liked them today too!

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to get on a pair of Black Crows. But also I don't, because I am trying to save up for a mountain bike ... and that will take a couple of years even if I don't buy the skis!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

I can't remember, have you tried the Santa Anas?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From the Black Crows web site/ via skiing mag review: the frogs have set out to create products dedicated to unadulterated pleasure. the camox birdie is a confident ski that can charge yet remains easy to flick from side to side. it's a wide all-terrain ski, and it delivers."

I have to agree, I really enjoyed the Camox Birdie! If you could mix the playfulness of my "tweener" park ski and the stability and drivability of the Samba you would be close to what the Camox feels like. I rode it in almost every condition with the exception of deeper fresh powder/ "Sierra cement." Hard pack groomers, icy rutted tree runs with patches of softened snow, mogul runs, steeps with hard pack transitioning to piles of wind buff, pure wind buff and in and out of one soft snow "toilet bowl" with enough float to make it through.

Its a really sophisticated ski, and I appreciated all it has to offer. For me the 165 gave me enough length to really rail the groomers and yet its ability to pivot is just what I need in the moguls and trees. I did not hit a speed limit, but I'm not a speed junky. It also feels less tiring on the knees in the hard snow (crappy icy ruts thru trees and traverses). Since I primarily ride in the trees and top of the mountain and seek out fresh snow I would really like to ride it again in some deeper / heavier Mammoth snow to asses its floatablity. That being said I have to admit that I had some of the best runs EVER thru upper dry creek in deep wind buff - amazing heavenly feeling of the way the Camox felt and performed in the soft snow. See also: positive soft snow review on EVO
https://www.evo.com/skis/black-crow...-crows-camox-birdie-skis-women-s-2017-165.jpg

It does not have as wide a shovel as some other mid fats -- a tad bit narrower than the Samba, and the mount point is a bit more "free ride." If you are used to a wider shovel it may seem like there is not a lot of ski in front of you - however after a few runs I didn't really notice. I really want to try it again in deeper snow and maybe play around with the mount point. However, I rode at factory, which seems to be the consensus for mounting (unless you are a true park rat).

ALL that being said, a funny thing happened to me during my ski demo -- Instead of new skis, I decided to pull the trigger on new boots. I realized my issues I thought was having with my current quiver were not the skis, but my admittedly packed out boots.

So I REALLY need to get on these skis again once I have the new boots dialed in. I can't wait!

@santacruz skier I did try the Santa Anna (not me) and the new Samba - but the Camox Birdie felt like a sweet combination of my current quiver all wrapped up into one pretty package.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^^^^
I now own the Camox Birdie and still agree with all of the above. Fun this weekend in the spring conditions.

@vanhoskier I think you are debating about the Captis - which is similar profile to Camox, just narrower.

I know that other Diva's also enjoy their Black Crows ......

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
^^^^^^
I now own the Camox Birdie and still agree with all of the above. Fun this weekend in the spring conditions.

@vanhoskier I think you are debating about the Captis - which is similar profile to Camox, just narrower.

I know that other Diva's also enjoy their Black Crows ......
There's a pair of 178 Captis's sitting in my living room right now!
Backcountry.com upped their price by $50 after I got mine.....I got lucky!

Is your ski count now approaching your surfboard count? ;-)
(My ski count is 4, my paddle board count is 3).

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Hrm.. I think these were cap. Sidewall is heavier, so it's unlikely any touring oriented ski will have cap?

https://www.black-crows.com/camox-freebird-skis

It's hard to be sure, but the sides look like cap.
I think they are sidewall. My Captis's are supposedly a sidewall/cap combo, but they look all sidewall to me. The Freebird touring line are a different, lighter construction.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a pair of 178 Captis's sitting in my living room right now!

Is your ski count now approaching your surfboard count? ;-)
(My ski count is 4, my paddle board count is 3).

Congrats on the new purchase! :clap:

Ski count 4, but Camox will replace Samba so really 3.....
Surfboards? well still way more that that, but your three paddle boards = a nice water quiver
:bounce:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna