• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski pole length question

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with Skisailor on this point. In fact longer poles will really hamper progress as they tend to put you in the back seat. Getting forward is usually more of mind thing. You need to trust your posture and fitness. Stack them joints.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had my poles cut down by 3" :banana:.

I skied with @SnowHot and her husband Phil yesterday and both thought my poles were too long. Phil is taller than me by a few inches and had shorter poles. After trying his poles I decided they were right I needed to get mine shortened. It was cool the dude at the shop didn't charge me either!

TBH I have hated poles ever since I was a kid. I used to leave them at the base for good chunks of the day- until they got stolen! When I started skiing again after snowboarding for 10 years I didn't use poles for about 3 seasons. I also have always worried that I'll inadvertently plant one between my legs when going 50mph. Due to that concern I tend to swing them around to get then forward rather than swing straight in front of me after a pole plant. Hopefully this is the start to a new chapter of my relationship with ski poles.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After reading all these comments, I’m considering adjustable poles. For years I have known my poles are too long, so I’ve just chocked up on them, no big deal. But I like the idea of having the option to change them for the terrain we ski. Oh and btw, the long poles will come in handy the next few days :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
After reading all these comments, I’m considering adjustable poles. For years I have known my poles are too long, so I’ve just chocked up on them, no big deal. But I like the idea of having the option to change them for the terrain we ski. Oh and btw, the long poles will come in handy the next few days :smile:
I got adjustable poles several years ago for other reasons. Has been good to be able to play with different lengths as my technique improved and I started skiing more bumps and steeper terrain. Had already cut down my old (circa 1982) poles by an inch (or two?) by the time I got the adjustable poles. Have since gone down another 5cm in terms of where I set the adjustable poles for general skiing.

Skied with some junior poles that were even a little shorter during the Taos Ski Week in Feb. Felt pretty good.

Plus side to adjustable poles was that I could bring them on the plane when I flew carry-on only recently. It was a short trip so I only brought boots and poles, no skis. One of the places I rented was happy I had my own poles because their selection of shorter poles was pretty limited.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had my poles cut down by 3" :banana:.

I skied with @SnowHot and her husband Phil yesterday and both thought my poles were too long. Phil is taller than me by a few inches and had shorter poles. After trying his poles I decided they were right I needed to get mine shortened. It was cool the dude at the shop didn't charge me either!

TBH I have hated poles ever since I was a kid. I used to leave them at the base for good chunks of the day- until they got stolen! When I started skiing again after snowboarding for 10 years I didn't use poles for about 3 seasons. I also have always worried that I'll inadvertently plant one between my legs when going 50mph. Due to that concern I tend to swing them around to get then forward rather than swing straight in front of me after a pole plant. Hopefully this is the start to a new chapter of my relationship with ski poles.
You looked so much more balanced with the shorter poles.
Glad it helped.
Keep in mind, adjustable poles are fairly heavy and the swing weight may throw you off.
Most places that you ski will rent poles for 5 bucks or less if you want to try a few different lengths.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I actually just switched poles with DS who has outgrown his. And it is much better! But I still think they're a little too high. I think I want about 2 inches shorter. But it's much better.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually just switched poles with DS who has outgrown his. And it is much better! But I still think they're a little too high. I think I want about 2 inches shorter. But it's much better.
This has probably already been said in this thread, but...
In the old days we used to turn the pole upside down and put our hand under the basket. If our elbows was at a 90º bend or less, the pole was a good length. Now we measure 90º or slightly more for a good measurement.
Add the fact that some of us may be entering the osteoporosis stage of life and well....
We don't ski the same length pole we used to.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thread has inspired me to get new poles. My skiing has improved greatly this year, and my ski buddy recommended shorter poles to help me lean more forward and to keep my hands in front of me instead of at my side. I'm using poles from 8th grade...so circa 2008? I can't believe they set me up with poles that big!

newboots

Angel Diva
You can likely cut them shorter, without spending money on new ones. Or get the shop to do it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:
Pole length was a big topic at Diva West. Some of us swapped poles to see how we did with various sizes. For the most part, we agreed that poles shorter than a 90 degree angle were better. What are your thoughts?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Our Taos instructor thought mine were a tad short at 41" I think. They are Grasssticks bamboo and custom ordered. @marzNC and I switched as she is an inch shorter and she has adjustable poles. Think I am in the middle between 105 and 110 so will need more custom poles or adjustable. The shorter poles were causing me to bend over a little in the bumps. Instructor two years ago in Taos had same comment.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Our Taos instructor thought mine were a tad short at 41" I think. They are Grasssticks bamboo and custom ordered. @marzNC and I switched as she is an inch shorter and she has adjustable poles. Think I am in the middle between 105 and 110 so will need more custom poles or adjustable. The shorter poles were causing me to bend over a little in the bumps. Instructor two years ago in Taos had same comment.

How tall are you? Can you do a pole touch - swing it through - without it affecting your hand position ?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
How tall are you? Can you do a pole touch - swing it through - without it affecting your hand position ?
I'm 5'1 . I haven't tried but two L3 instructors had the same comment. We were videotaped and longer poles looked better. Now 110's are clearly too long but 105 caused me to reach too far...

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I'm 5'1 . I haven't tried but two L3 instructors had the same comment. We were videotaped and longer poles looked better. Now 110's are clearly too long but 105 caused me to reach too far...

I’m 5’2” and ski with 41” poles. There are lots of ways to ski bumps. :smile: I don’t ever feel that I am “reaching” for any pole touch - especially in bumps. It’s very quiet. Hands and arms should stay put. But I know that some bump instructors advocate a different kind of pole touch from the one I try to use.

newboots

Angel Diva
41" = 104 cm
43.3" = 110 cm
45" = 114.3 cm

I'm 5'4" and I ski with a 45" pole (I think). I am all arms and legs, very short torso, if that makes a difference. I believe my arms are longer than most people who are 5'4".

I was googling with the inches and cm because I can't follow the discussion otherwise!

Carry on . . .

(ETA: I don't ski bumps yet!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
41 inches = 104 cm
41.3 inches = 105 cm
42 inches = 106 cm
43.3 inches = 110 cm

I used to set the adjustable poles at 110cm. But switched to 105cm a few years ago. Bought a pair of regular poles that are 41 inches last spring on sale. That was after using my daughter's 41" poles for a season. I say I'm 5'0" but actually about an inch shorter at this point (over 60).

MissySki

Angel Diva
41" = 104 cm
43.3" = 110 cm
45" = 114.3 cm

I'm 5'4" and I ski with a 45" pole (I think). I am all arms and legs, very short torso, if that makes a difference. I believe my arms are longer than most people who are 5'4".

I was googling with the inches and cm because I can't follow the discussion otherwise!

Carry on . . .

(ETA: I don't ski bumps yet!)

Sounds like we are very similarly built! I am also 5’4” and have long monkey arms and legs for my size with a very short torso lol. I’m one of the people who was trying out others’ shorter poles during diva west because I’ve been skiing with 46” long poles that have started feeling too long in bumps. I’m going to have mine cut down a bit, either by 1 or 2 inches to start. I also have a set of adjustable poles for snowshoeing etc., so I might play around with those a little to dial in exactly how much I want to cut.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Has anyone had their Leki trigger poles cut? I went to the shop at Sunday River to inquire about this today, and the techs I spoke to were not into it at all. They said the grips are a real pain to get off and that the required heating to do so often damages them. Their suggestion was to just get a new pair in the desired size, or even better to get adjustable ones. Ugh, but I really like my current poles..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna