• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer fun fitness?

newboots

Angel Diva
I play hockey year round 1-2 times per week, which keeps the legs in shape.

Hey, @HockeyMom - did you start playing because the kid(s) were? That's how I started. Too bad I had my daughter so late! Keeps your legs in shape, for sure, but is also such great aerobic exercise. I remember in summer coed pickup games we didn't have enough players to sub, so we all skated until we dropped. Especially me!

You must be quite an athlete with all these sports.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I could play hockey year-round! Our ice all comes out in the spring, it's gone now. The rinks are used for lacrosse and roller derby.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I could play hockey year-round! Our ice all comes out in the spring, it's gone now. The rinks are used for lacrosse and roller derby.

Interesting.

I played ice hockey for a while - our rinks are ice year-round - but the adult league games, especially the lower-ability ones, go *so* late. I typically would get home at like 2am on a work night. Eventually decided that my work performance was suffering for it.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting.

I played ice hockey for a while - our rinks are ice year-round - but the adult league games, especially the lower-ability ones, go *so* late. I typically would get home at like 2am on a work night. Eventually decided that my work performance was suffering for it.

My ice time is 9-10:30 pm on Fridays, in the town half an hour down the road. Depending on how much chit-chat happens afterwards, I get home between 11:30 and midnight. It can be hard to get out of bed to ski the next morning!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ice time is 9-10:30 pm on Fridays, in the town half an hour down the road. Depending on how much chit-chat happens afterwards, I get home between 11:30 and midnight. It can be hard to get out of bed to ski the next morning!

Yeah, skiing was the other thing ... hah ...

HockeyMom

Diva in Training
Hey, @HockeyMom - did you start playing because the kid(s) were? That's how I started. Too bad I had my daughter so late! Keeps your legs in shape, for sure, but is also such great aerobic exercise. I remember in summer coed pickup games we didn't have enough players to sub, so we all skated until we dropped. Especially me!

You must be quite an athlete with all these sports.
@newbooots, I watched my son play for many years and then started playing hockey at age 40 with other hockey moms. It's been loads of fun. I play with women 20-50ish+ and sometimes pick up coed games. Now at 48, I feel like I'm starting to get it and can even keep up with the big girls (aka high school girls).
When I first started playing we struggled getting ice time at reasonable times, but with a new arena with 2 sheets of ice, in addition to other local arenas we are able to get good times (7:30/8:30 PM). We struggled at one point getting enough people but we now have women traveling from longer distances and have increased the numbers playing again. We've also taken a few longer breaks in between sessions which has helped keep interest high.
I wouldn't call myself an athlete, per se. My goal is to exercise enough so I don't feel guilty when I go out for beers with my friends!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
@Little Lightning , thanks for info on functional movement. Something I need to investigate....

Believe it or not, I'm a swimmer first and skier second, but I do as much of both as I can-50 ski days this year and I live in South Carolina! I'm a fair weather light road biker-great rail trail nearby, but I wish they'd make it longer. Mountain biking wouldn't work for me as I'm the "princess" from the children's story "Princess and the Pea", translation bumps are hugely painful for me! I've lifelong foot issues so running, walking, hiking have always been limited. This doesn't make sense to most people I encounter because I ski so much, but I've no problem skiing, except for the bumps.... I do like to rollerblade and ice skate, though my feet again limit me + being so far south, our ice rink is only open from just before Thanksgiving for 6-8 weeks. I do enjoy yard work and am in the process of planting "the farm" as I call my veggie garden + lots of flowers.... And, with a pool, I'm active the 6 warm months cleaning it like someone with OCD. Much of it I do from IN the pool. ~Now~ do you understand my ski diva name?!?

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running is how I keep in shape and it really complements my skiing. If you want to challenge yourself or keep your motivation levels high you can sign up for races. I used to do lots of 5ks and 10ks and really enjoyed myself. The only reason I stopped racing was because I picked up badminton so I don't have as much time to train for events.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@luliski , we visited the hot springs in Steamboat Springs this past winter and they had an outdoor spring fed lap pool. I wanted to do laps SO BAD, it looked amazing!

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@luliski , we visited the hot springs in Steamboat Springs this past winter and they had an outdoor spring fed lap pool. I wanted to do laps SO BAD, it looked amazing!
That sounds so nice! I missed that the one time I was at Steamboat. So far I've only swum at Northstar's rec center and the pool at the Resort at Squaw Creek. Those are both outdoor too, and I think that's the only way to go (for me)! Truckee has a new rec pool, and supposedly a Masters swim program, but I couldn't find specific info online.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain biking, skating, hiking, running, windsurfing, Hobie sailing, kayaking, fishing, and shooting. Pretty much anything to help keep the depression at bay.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Mountain biking, skating, hiking, running, windsurfing, Hobie sailing, kayaking, fishing, and shooting. Pretty much anything to help keep the depression at bay.
Hobie cats?

altagirl

Staff member
I don't know that birding counts as a fitness activity, but lately I do a bunch of hiking (albeit slow to take pictures and look around) to watch birds. It gets me off the sofa anyway! :smile: And I think the dogs are happy about this development. They're like YAY we get to stop and sniff things WAY more often!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today wasn't so much fitness, but I did manage a bit of skiing and a little bit of mountain biking today. According to my Garmin, I was at like 110% of my HR. Uh-huh.

If my knee is happy tomorrow, I have a hike planned - primarily for the dogs. Gonna go to a spot with lots of running water (Loki overheats in anything over 50*) in the national forest (so they can run around like idiots).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly