• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Smaller boots, low volume or Junior racing boot?

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, ladies--

I am curious about boots. Right now I am wearing Dalbello boots that are humongous on me--size 24.5. My foot swims in it. Bought them last year, before I had any clue what I needed, while in a panic at a going-out-of-business sale. In February, a boot fitter at Sunday River told me I really need new boots, but to try to help me out--they taped thick padding around the back and put in two insoles. I like the people at the shop--they told me they wouldn't even allow me to buy anything they had because nothing left in stock was right for my foot.

Yesterday I was in NH at Skinner's shop, near Sunapee, and the boot fitter there was really helpful. Turns out, the correct size for me is 22 5 and I need a low volume boot. I liked the Lange rx80 but he didn't have it in low volume. I appreciated the arch support in it. His other suggestion was that I try a Junior racing boot. Less comfortable, but more control. I tried a few of those and they were OK, the Lange felt really comfy in comparison, though.

Now I have a new decision--try to find a low volume in 22.5 that is narrow or go with a Junior boot with less cushion. Ladies with smaller, narrow feet--any thoughts? Boot fitter said either choice is a major improvement on what I am wearing but as I continue to improve, I might want to go the junior racing boot road.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from those who know more than I do!
Andrea

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Hi, ladies--

Turns out, the correct size for me is 22 5 and I need a low volume boot. I liked the Lange rx80 but he didn't have it in low volume. I appreciated the arch support in it. His other suggestion was that I try a Junior racing boot. Less comfortable, but more control. I tried a few of those and they were OK, the Lange felt really comfy in comparison, though.

Now I have a new decision--try to find a low volume in 22.5 that is narrow or go with a Junior boot with less cushion. Ladies with smaller, narrow feet--any thoughts? Boot fitter said either choice is a major improvement on what I am wearing but as I continue to improve, I might want to go the junior racing boot road.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from those who know more than I do!
Andrea

This isn't necessarily a small foot question, but definitely a narrow/low volume foot question. If I were you, I would call around and try to find a Lange LV. I have a regular Lange and should have gone LV....going to remedy that next time around. Our personal experience with going to a junior race boot has not been positive - my daughter was uncomfortable and freezing and it still didn't fit properly. She finally found a boot that works quite well, but it took serious calling around, and driving a state away and going to 3 shops there to find the right model, size, and flex. For me now, it is all about available stock - I am all for searching until you find the best possible boot instead of settling and trying to make one work.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally went to a junior race boot. My feet are RIDICULOUSLY low volume, narrow, and quite small--typically a 22.5 but I'm currently in a 23.5 Head B5 RD. It really depends on your actual foot width and volume. A non-race boot that fits you well and is a comfortable flex for you will suit you just fine. FWIW, a 22.5 in most low-volume boots is approximately 94mm wide. My boots are approximately 88 mm wide. And they're STILL too big, really, if you can believe that. My feet measure 82mm wide. I honestly curse them all the time!

One thing about Lange boots is they have kind of a high instep compared to other low-volume boots/brands. Most brands offer low-volume options, it's just finding the one that fits YOUR foot shape the best.

Cushy liners do break down and won't hold your foot as well over time. Super comfy can come at a price, particularly for those of us with low-volume feet. And your comment about arch support has me questioning that--you really should be putting an aftermarket, supportive, rigid insole in your boots, not using the stock insole. I kind of wish boot manufacturers would just stop selling their boots with those flimsy insoles, as they are worthless.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
This isn't necessarily a small foot question, but definitely a narrow/low volume foot question. If I were you, I would call around and try to find a Lange LV. I have a regular Lange and should have gone LV....going to remedy that next time around. Our personal experience with going to a junior race boot has not been positive - my daughter was uncomfortable and freezing and it still didn't fit properly. She finally found a boot that works quite well, but it took serious calling around, and driving a state away and going to 3 shops there to find the right model, size, and flex. For me now, it is all about available stock - I am all for searching until you find the best possible boot instead of settling and trying to make one work.

By the end of the fitting, I began to get overwhelmed. Knew I couldn't make the decision. I'm glad you mentioned that your daughter had issues with the cold when in a junior race boot. As soon as I had the boot on, I thought that would be a problem.

Also, at this point in the season, I am wondering if I'll have better luck waiting for next fall when shops get full/new stock?

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
I finally went to a junior race boot. My feet are RIDICULOUSLY low volume, narrow, and quite small--typically a 22.5 but I'm currently in a 23.5 Head B5 RD. It really depends on your actual foot width and volume. A non-race boot that fits you well and is a comfortable flex for you will suit you just fine. FWIW, a 22.5 in most low-volume boots is approximately 94mm wide. My boots are approximately 88 mm wide. And they're STILL too big, really, if you can believe that. My feet measure 82mm wide. I honestly curse them all the time!

One thing about Lange boots is they have kind of a high instep compared to other low-volume boots/brands. Most brands offer low-volume options, it's just finding the one that fits YOUR foot shape the best.

Cushy liners do break down and won't hold your foot as well over time. Super comfy can come at a price, particularly for those of us with low-volume feet. And your comment about arch support has me questioning that--you really should be putting an aftermarket, supportive, rigid insole in your boots, not using the stock insole. I kind of wish boot manufacturers would just stop selling their boots with those flimsy insoles, as they are worthless.

Wow--what brand/style boot are you in? Also--It never occurred to me to put a different insert in my boot because I didn't know it was an option. Glad you mentioned it. Who manufactures them and are they available in most boot shops?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Wow--what brand/style boot are you in? Also--It never occurred to me to put a different insert in my boot because I didn't know it was an option. Glad you mentioned it. Who manufactures them and are they available in most boot shops?

In terms of a foot bed, any reputable boot shop will have the equipment to make custom foot beds. Had mine made in Big Sky, my husband had his made at Sunday River, and my daughter had hers made at The Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT. You can get out of the box foot replacement foot beds at shops as well, but for us those were just a stepping stone to custom, and in the end a waste of money.

Did anyone give you an idea of what your foot measures? @contesstant has a crazy small/narrow foot so I imagine nothing but a race boot works for her. You may also find that, but do you feel like you are there yet?

You need to decide if it is worth it to try and track down an LV boot, Lange or otherwise, to see if that is your ticket, or if you truly need a junior race boot. Another variable to take into consideration is forward lean - the forward lean on a race boot is generally more aggressive, and you may find you prefer a more neutral stance if you have a choice.

In terms of warmth, my daughter and I both have Raynauds so we are naturally frozen, lol. For my daughter it was just worse in the race boots. Heated socks or boot heaters help with that.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ladies with smaller, narrow feet--any thoughts?
Can you try the Tecnica Mach 1 LV? I'm not sure how narrow your feet are - its a 98 last. "Apparently" its lower volume in some respects than the Lange, but again foot shape etc all comes into play. Despite my wider fore foot these are a great fit w/ a few modifications. I have boney feet/ankles and the narrow heel fit of the boot is awesome, I'm in a 22.5.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in a Head B5 RD Raptor junior race boot.
The Tecnica Mach 1 is another good option.
It's definitely worth waiting until fall for more inventory, but things won't be on sale at that time unless it's previous year's stock.
As for footbeds, at the very least hunt down some Superfeet trim-to-fits. Green is usually a good choice, although again, it all comes down to your foot shape, etc. which is why custom molded in the long run in the best option.

Welcome to the "ski boots are a real pain in the butt" club!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in a 22 as well. You will run into shops that do not carry, but can order, 22 boots. While doing your shopping, find out who will actually stock 22 boots so that you can try on. Or this willing to order without requiring you purchase if they do not fit. And yes to some sort of aftermarket or custom footbed!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have super narrow feet and I've done a lot of searching recently, so here are some suggestions for boots you might want to at least try on based on my experience:

The Technica Mach 1 LV (I found this to be too roomy in the ankle area for me)

Salomon X-Max (pretty good fit; a bit roomy in the ankle. I'm in these now and they work adequately with some foam shims around the ankle. I'm constantly adjusting them all day to get them snug without losing circulation, though, so I'm eyeing the spring sales for something better for next year).

Atomic Hawx Ultra (These had the closest-fitting feeling around the ankles/heel; they felt the most snug and secure of anything I tried on. And they are super lightweight).

I was in the Lange RS LV last year and I hated them. They were freezing cold and got very, very stiff as the temp dropped.

You're lucky in that the last measurement (97mm in the Lange LV, for example) is actually only for size 26.5. At 22.5, your boot will be even narrower than that. I measure 27.5 on the brannock, but I size down to 26 to get a narrow fit. A good bootfitter can always punch toe room for you and you should at least know that that's an option if you're struggling with too much roominess in your measured size.

Also, make sure the bootfitter measures your instep as well as your foot length and width. My instep is a full size smaller than my shoe size measurement, which is likely why I do better in sized-down boots.

Last edited:

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you all for this helpful feedback! I am striking out finding these models in my size at most shops at this point in the season but going to head out this coming weekend as it looks like the Northeast might get a little snow so I can check in some shops wherever I end up. Otherwise--is Sept/October the best time?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It depends on when new shipments arrive. My shop had a great selection just before Thanksgiving. Ask your shop when they will have the best selection.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you try the Tecnica Mach 1 LV? I'm not sure how narrow your feet are - its a 98 last. "Apparently" its lower volume in some respects than the Lange, but again foot shape etc all comes into play. Despite my wider fore foot these are a great fit w/ a few modifications. I have boney feet/ankles and the narrow heel fit of the boot is awesome, I'm in a 22.5.
Currently that boots not available in a true 22.5 but it will be in the coming season.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Currently that boots not available in a true 22.5 but it will be in the coming season.

What they are a fake 22.5 ? :eek:

Bsl is 270 for myMach 1 LV and per Evo and other online charts it's 280 for 23.5

It "appears" however, based on said charts that the Mach 1 MV is "the same" bsl of 275 for both 22.5 and 23.5

:crazy:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found the catalog for next year's 17/18 Tecnica boots - great layout of the changes in the woman's boots. :smile:

https://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/tecnica_1718

However, looks the same at least for the Mach1 --

LV 22/ 22.5 are 270 and 23/ 23.5 are 280
MV are 275 for both 22-23.5

so its seems the LV has different BSL for 22 and 23; while the MV still has the same BSL for both 22 and 23. Same as this year.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

What they are a fake 22.5 ? :eek:

Bsl is 270 for myMach 1 LV and per Evo and other online charts it's 280 for 23.5

It "appears" however, based on said charts that the Mach 1 MV is "the same" bsl of 275 for both 22.5 and 23.5

:crazy:
Ooof, my mistake. The true 22.5 w ain't available in the Cochise W
True 22.5 is available in the Mach 1W
Sorry.

I found the catalog for next year's 17/18 Tecnica boots - great layout of the changes in the woman's boots. :smile:

https://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/tecnica_1718

However, looks the same at least for the Mach1 --

LV 22/ 22.5 are 270 and 23/ 23.5 are 280
MV are 275 for both 22-23.5

so its seems the LV has different BSL for 22 and 23; while the MV still has the same BSL for both 22 and 23. Same as this year.
I'm currently skiing in the 2018 Mach1 105 W LV. I'll report on it soon

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooof, my mistake. The true 22.5 w ain't available in the Cochise W
True 22.5 is available in the Mach 1W
Sorry.

I'm currently skiing in the 2018 Mach1 105 W LV. I'll report on it soon
Wow my typing was awful on my phone last night. Here is a picture of my boots with my set up.
fullsizerender-jpg.21700

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really interested to hear your thoughts on the changes. From what I understand -the buckles change, a degree more upright (now 12.5) and 3mm higher spine as well as using celliant with the wool in the liner

Also - it seems there is a heated liner now available? wonder if the heated liner would fit in the 16/17 boot?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1/2 degree more upright, not a full degree. and 3mm higher cuff to accommodate the upright stance.

The liner material is considerably more warm, but I still have my heaters installed in my footbed. I haven't used the heaters since I've been in the new boot but I suspect that I'll be using them at Stowe this coming week.

The buckles are Lift Lock, the same as the ones they have on the Cochise line, which is awesome!!
I'll take a picture of that when I get a chance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna