• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Feel like your skiing on your drive home?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After a great day of skiing, sometimes it feels like your still on the mountain when your driving home - you know, you picked your line thru moguls or down a crowded run and now your doing the same on on the way home.....

Our drive is 5 hours and the final drive is on a 5 lane freeway and then exiting to a 2 lane road. A few weeks ago we were heading home a bit later than normal. A CHIP patrol car pulls in front of us and starts the tell-tale back and forth weaving.... signaling all drivers that the freeway is about to be shut down. We were just behind the the CHIP and so we have to slow and stop - I was bummed thinking if only we had been one car ahead, we would wouldn't have to wait and would be that much closer to home. We stop. We watch them clear some debris from the fast lane. It was odd to see the vast black pavement in front of us. We get the signal from the CHIP that its all clear and I look at DH and say LOOK ! FRESH TRACKS ON THE 101!!!! He floors it and for probably the only time in our lives we are driving on and empty highway in LA laughing at our "fresh tracks!"

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:smile:

I drive like I'm still skiing, too, tilting inward during turns, trying not to shed too much speed during turns, forgetting to skate uphill until I'm way too slow, treating other cars like they are people on the cat track...

Once, we went to a buffet in town after skiing, and my daughter pointed out that I was cruising through the throngs of people, dodging and lunging and making small-radius turns. I realized that I was trying to maintain my speed, trying not to make sudden stops. I do this at the grocery store, too, on ski days; plus, skidded turns with the shopping cart!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a kid we used to take day trips to a little place about an hour away. We only skied in the afternoons so I was always tired and it was dark on the drive home. I used to imagine my legs were in holes through the car floor and had my skis on the road. I think some of this had to do with my sore calves throbbing from leaning back in my boots and making it hard to forget what I had been doing all afternoon. I haven't had that same feeling of skiing while driving as an adult.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
:smile:

I drive like I'm still skiing, too, tilting inward during turns, trying not to shed too much speed during turns, forgetting to skate uphill until I'm way too slow, treating other cars like they are people on the cat track...

Once, we went to a buffet in town after skiing, and my daughter pointed out that I was cruising through the throngs of people, dodging and lunging and making small-radius turns. I realized that I was trying to maintain my speed, trying not to make sudden stops. I do this at the grocery store, too, on ski days; plus, skidded turns with the shopping cart!
:rotf:

I confess that after a great ski day my body sometimes feels like it's skiing, especially when I get into bed that night, but I've never thought about doing so driving home. Maybe I DO approach the winding two lane road (Hwy 221) coming down the mountain from Banner Elke, NC like that?!?

newboots

Angel Diva
After an early day skiing with my now-BF, when I'd spent half the day cussing him out for taking me on trails I found terrifying, I had a sudden fearful feeling driving home. I felt like the car was going too fast, hurtling down the highway, and I wasn't going to be able to slow down!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
After an early day skiing with my now-BF, when I'd spent half the day cussing him out for taking me on trails I found terrifying, I had a sudden fearful feeling driving home. I felt like the car was going too fast, hurtling down the highway, and I wasn't going to be able to slow down!
A cross between a flashback and PTSD?

newboots

Angel Diva
A cross between a flashback and PTSD?

Speed = "uh-oh" in my central nervous system!

Nothing quite so serious as even a flashback, although that's what I jokingly called it. Just the threat system in the sympathetic nervous system over-generalizing, which it is wont to do.

Funny how the brain works. Probably should slow down on the highway anyway, all of us!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I haven't ever noticed that skiing affects my driving, but I can sure tell when I've been in Chicago for a weekend and then drive around at home. Much more aggressive!

newboots

Angel Diva
I haven't ever noticed that skiing affects my driving, but I can sure tell when I've been in Chicago for a weekend and then drive around at home. Much more aggressive!

You know what's great? I'm not scared like that any more! I haven't been out of control like that since February or early March, and I skied Killington last weekend, with only blue and black trails open.

I haven't gotten to Chicago-style aggression in my skiing yet, though. ;-)
:ski3:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah. After Spring skiing, on the drive home, I find that I brace myself for sunny patches on the street, as if that would slow me down like the grabby, soft snow in the sun.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh yeah. After Spring skiing, on the drive home, I find that I brace myself for sunny patches on the street, as if that would slow me down like the grabby, soft snow in the sun.

That's awesome! Maybe there are snow snakes on the street; you never know!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna