• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Factory Reset iPad - I'm scared to try it!

Jenny

Angel Diva
My iPad has been acting really screwy for awhile so I thought maybe I should try this. But I'm nervous, which is silly, because there's almost nothing on here to worry about.

I did an iCloud backup, and the one app I have with data has its own cloud backup, so I did that, too. Do I really have anything to worry about?

One I reset it, do I just restore the backup? Or is it better to download the apps again?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
According to my DH, my local Mac expert: It would be better if you could do a full back up to your local computer before you do the reset, not just to iCloud. He says he always prefers to work on a backup that he just made 10 minutes ago; it's fresher than the one in the Cloud. Use that one, instead. He also says you shouldn't have to download all your apps again; they should just show up.

We restore our iPhones now and then because it improves the memory. You might be surprised by how much memory this frees up for you.

Jenny

Angel Diva
According to my DH, my local Mac expert: It would be better if you could do a full back up to your local computer before you do the reset, not just to iCloud. He says he always prefers to work on a backup that he just made 10 minutes ago; it's fresher than the one in the Cloud. Use that one, instead. He also says you shouldn't have to download all your apps again; they should just show up.

We restore our iPhones now and then because it improves the memory. You might be surprised by how much memory this frees up for you.
Ok, thanks. I was wondering why they had two different kinds of backups. Did the cloud one just a few hours ago, but now I'll try the other, too.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, I said that pretty confidently for someone who has never used iTunes. There's something about computers sometimes that makes me really question my intelligence. This is one of those times!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My iPad has been acting really screwy for awhile so I thought maybe I should try this. But I'm nervous, which is silly, because there's almost nothing on here to worry about.

I did an iCloud backup, and the one app I have with data has its own cloud backup, so I did that, too. Do I really have anything to worry about?

One I reset it, do I just restore the backup? Or is it better to download the apps again?
I just did a factory reset on my iPhone & iPad. The improvement is unreal. You won't regret it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
So, i just ordered an iPad mini. Looks like setting it up is basically the same as a factory reset, only I'm making the backup of one device and restoring it on another. Any issues I should know about?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I know you were all dying to know if I survived the trauma of doing this - the answer is yes! I believe I have successfully changed devices. I'm so proud. And apparently, old. This crap didn't used to be so stressful.

Well, that's not totally true. I would actually still be using DOS if the world didn't force me to change.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I hear you @Jenny about being fearful re tech stuff. Even though I've been using computers since the mid-80s, I still find it stressful to change/update. Like you, I would never update if I weren't forced to! But despite this, I manage to keep everything up to date (I'm a Mac/iOS user) and felt quite proud of myself that I was recently able to set up my new phone from my iCould backup. And then I had to sit in my car and talk to it to re-pair the new phone with the car! "Speaking" to these devices does make me feel silly - but I'm getting over this: I was always hesitant to use Siri but have started to get her to make phone calls for me and do things like set the alarm on my phone. So I like to think I'm "improving" every day!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I hear you @Jenny about being fearful re tech stuff. Even though I've been using computers since the mid-80s, I still find it stressful to change/update. Like you, I would never update if I weren't forced to! But despite this, I manage to keep everything up to date (I'm a Mac/iOS user) and felt quite proud of myself that I was recently able to set up my new phone from my iCould backup. And then I had to sit in my car and talk to it to re-pair the new phone with the car! "Speaking" to these devices does make me feel silly - but I'm getting over this: I was always hesitant to use Siri but have started to get her to make phone calls for me and do things like set the alarm on my phone. So I like to think I'm "improving" every day!
This device is the first one with Siri. We'll see if I can bring myself to talk to her or not. I feel silly even when my husband does it!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly