• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah/Col/Cali for ski trip beginning of March

SkiSci

Certified Ski Diva
My DH is turning 50 and I am planning a ski trip out West for us with our two teenaged sons for the week of March 5 to celebrate. We skied at Snowbird in the mid-1990s and he still counts it as that best place he has ever skied (we've skied Vail/Beaver Creek in the 90s, Keystone and Park City area more recently, and a bunch in the East). He primarily wants good snow and would go love to go back to Snowbird. A few questions: Are all the places out west getting good snow (I know that CA and CO have gotten a lot so far) so anywhere would be good or should I focus on a particular place? Has Snowbird changed drastically in the past 20-25 years so he might be disappointed? If we go to Snowbird is it worth the extra $$ to stay there rather than in SLC? Any other recommendations on places to go? DH and the boys are good skiers (the boys race in PA) and I am adv inter (will do easy blacks). It looks like places are filling up, any tips on finding places to stay? Thanks all! The pressure is on to plan to a great trip!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's LOTS Of Snow in the West, I was just at Alta last week, (Next door to snowbird)we arrived they had gotten 2ft the day before we arrived, we got 8" the first day we skied, then another inch. so much snow the gates to snowbird were closed as well as some of the bowls! Super coverage! I would think March should be fine w/good coverage.

I'd say YES to stay up at the mountain, if your lucky there will be "interlodge" when you get a good snow storm and they literally do not allow anyone up cotton wood canyon and no one can go outside until they're done Avi blasting. 3 times I've been lucky to be staying at Alta and have interlodge. we got on the Mt when the lifts open 9am but the people down in SLC can't get up the canyon road because of Avi blasting so you get a private ski area!! I love Alta, haven't skied Snowbird. I am an Altaholic lol I like the no snowboards and the laid back vibe.

there are a lot of ski areas 30-60min from SLC perhaps go front row and stay at snowbird for a few days then stay SLC and try other Mts.
check VRBO.com we diva's have found some super places for low $$ and if you like Mexican food the Red Iguana in SLC is superb!!

Hope you have a great time!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Utah has approximately 150% of normal snowpack for the year, so YES! We are just getting hammered here this winter. Loving life living here! Enjoy your trip!

marzNC

Angel Diva
My DH is turning 50 and I am planning a ski trip out West for us with our two teenaged sons for the week of March 5 to celebrate. We skied at Snowbird in the mid-1990s and he still counts it as that best place he has ever skied (we've skied Vail/Beaver Creek in the 90s, Keystone and Park City area more recently, and a bunch in the East). He primarily wants good snow and would go love to go back to Snowbird. A few questions: Are all the places out west getting good snow (I know that CA and CO have gotten a lot so far) so anywhere would be good or should I focus on a particular place? Has Snowbird changed drastically in the past 20-25 years so he might be disappointed? If we go to Snowbird is it worth the extra $$ to stay there rather than in SLC? Any other recommendations on places to go? DH and the boys are good skiers (the boys race in PA) and I am adv inter (will do easy blacks). It looks like places are filling up, any tips on finding places to stay? Thanks all! The pressure is on to plan to a great trip!!
I doubt very much that your DH would be disappointed with Snowbird. The terrain remains the same. There are more high speed lifts that 25 years ago. There is a really nice lodge at the Summit with great views. The tram is the same as ever, although perhaps a bit more crowded more often.

For a family is who mainly interested in skiing, probably worth at least checking out condo options at Snowbird. Might not be as expensive as you think since a rental car is not required. Not too many places to eat in LCC. But if you ski a day or two at Alta, consider eating lunch at Alta Lodge or the Rustler. Prices are comparable to eating a hot meal on mountain, perhaps less than eating at Snowbird, and the views and relaxed atmosphere is worth it.

I met up with a family from the northeast who choose Snowbird in April as their first experience out west. The two girls (tween, teen) raced. They loved Snowbird. Mother was an intermediate who liked Mineral Basin. The family also spent a day at Alta and enjoyed the experience. They stayed in Snowbird lodging. That meant they could check their skis for free overnight at the main base.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We just spent 12 days in the Cliff Club. Highly recommend. Hot tub on the balcony as well. Lots of owners list on VRBO and craigslist for a lot less than what the snowbird site offers. We went to the Smith's Food King on Bengal Blvd on the way up and got our food for the week.

There is a huge line of traffic every morning going up LCC, and the same going back down in the afternoon. Totally not into that on vacation. Iron Blossom will be cheaper than the Cliff - Cliff has valet parking as well. Never had to de-ice the car.

SkiSci

Certified Ski Diva
Any thoughts on Solitude vs Snowbird/Alta? A friend recommended it as great skiing, less crowded, "hidden gem".

marzNC

Angel Diva
Any thoughts on Solitude vs Snowbird/Alta? A friend recommended it as great skiing, less crowded, "hidden gem".
Lodging at Solitude is fine, but more limited. The "village" is pretty basic with only a few options for eating out. I gather the food has improved since Solitude was bought by Deer Valley a few years ago.

As for the skiing, it's certainly fun but not at the same level as Snowbird. The advantage is fewer crowds on a powder day. That also means fresh tracks can be had a day or two after a storm. Although lately the drive up BCC can get slow on a powder morning. Solitude has about 1200 skiable acres, while Snowbird has 2500 acres.

Honeycomb Canyon is where the advanced/experts like to go. Skiing is fun. However, takes a while to get back to the top. Have to take a lift out of Honeycomb, then more lifts to get back to the summit for another round. In comparison to Snowbird where the high speed lifts can mean a lot more vertical in an hour or two.

Solitude has a few really steep groomers, which I would expect your sons to like. Snowbird has Regulator Johnson, a steep groomer with open ungroomed on either side. Can be fun in good visibility.

Paging @dloveski for her input. She knows Solitude and Brighton very well. Also skis Alta but I don't know how much she's been to Snowbird.

SkiSci

Certified Ski Diva
marzNC, thanks for your thoughts. Solitude definitely has more condo options and Snowbird is almost booked. But it does sound like Snowbird/Alta might keep everyone more occupied. However, we live in central PA and the snow is scarce this year. DH and son #2 are off to a GS race at Blue Mtn where it is supposed to be close to 50F tomorrow. 1200 acres is way more than anything here. Anyway, I love the steep groomed runs. The kids like trees and a bit of bumps. They've skied in bowls only once, Jupiter Bowl at Park City, and would love that too. Powder will be a new thing for them, since they've grown up skiing eastern ice.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I live in NC and ski in northern VA. Even less snow than PA. :-)

If you decide to stay at Solitude, I'd recommend renting a car. Probably 2WD would be enough. Or reserve a 4WD too and cancel the car you don't need. Worth the drive for a day or two at Snowbird when there isn't snow on the road and good visibility. Mineral Basin is fun when you can see the whole place.

Note that Brighton is a short drive from Solitude. There is night skiing on a few runs if the boys need to burn off more energy. Lots of local teens after school. Many ride the bus up the canyon.

SkiSci

Certified Ski Diva
Made the decision and we are Snowbird bound! I am thinking about getting a 3 hour private guide as a present for my DH and sons to explore Snowbird. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the $? I'll probably do a lesson because I'm not up for the off-trail terrain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Made the decision and we are Snowbird bound! I am thinking about getting a 3 hour private guide as a present for my DH and sons to explore Snowbird. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the $? I'll probably do a lesson because I'm not up for the off-trail terrain.
How old are your sons? Reason I ask is that Alta has an All Mountain Workshop in the afternoons that is a great deal for advanced skiers. For adults, which means teens should be able to participate. About $80 for 2.5 hours with a very experienced instructor, all off-piste. It's not a lesson, more of a guided experience on the best snow available. However, can ask for technique tips. There are 2-3 ability levels.

You don't hear that much about people hiring guides at Snowbird. Not to say it wouldn't be worth it, but there is a lot of advanced terrain that's pretty straightforward to figure out. For a full week, doing the free mountain host tour is a worthwhile investment of time. The tour is on blue groomers but covers all areas, including Mineral Basin if conditions are decent. Meaning Mineral is open with decent visibility. Can also ask for advice from the hosts who are at the base.

FYI, no reservations are required for lessons at Alta. Group lessons for intermediate adults are often taught by very experienced instructors, especially mid-week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The one time I did the All Mountain Workshop, I was in the least experienced group. Learned about several short shots very close to groomers that are fun even a day or two after a storm. I still enjoy several of them even though I know Alta a lot better now and have much more powder experience. My friend was in the middle group. It was his first day ever at Alta. He had a good time skiing off the High T in very poor visibility due to fog. Needless to say, he had much more fun because he was following a knowledgeable instructor than if we had been exploring on our own.

The groups are small, no more than six I think.

SkiSci

Certified Ski Diva
Does anyone know if there is a difference among the ski rental shops at the resort at Snowbird? We are planning to bring boots and rent demo skis. We will be renting at the mountain - no car and want the chance to trade skis in and out. Christy Sports has a decent 20% off deal and Creekside (foot of Gad) has a 40% off coupon - although I don't totally get how it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna