• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis for Eastern conditions

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an excessive quiver that ranges from S7s, Blizzard Pearls, Ski Logics, Nordicas.

What is the best bet for Eastern ski conditions (Stowe, Killington)? Do I need to snag something else (Kenjas, or other) and if I can, which ski should I try to get that is the best bet for conditions likely during Diva week (end of February, 1st of March)?

I have only skied Western (Utah, Wyoming, MT) resorts and have NO idea how to prepare for the East (I'm a bit intimidated---as my powder ski skills exceed my carving abilities----and I am not used to 'ice'.)

Ski advice?

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with Jilly, and a fresh tune wouldn't hurt. Though both Stowe and Killington are skiing really well and end of Feb and March tend to be our snowiest times of the year. I'd say you would have to get very unlucky to get the conditions that you have probably built up in your head as "East coast".

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What sort of Nordicas do you have? I have the Hell's Belles, and they're fine in the East.

But you should have something fairly stiff and be sure to get a good tune. You'll be okay with a wider width, but I agree with Rachel: the mid 80's and below is best.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have old nordica hot rods. I got them free a few years ago and use them on hard pack days early and late season. I may end up renting something.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have old nordica hot rods. I got them free a few years ago and use them on hard pack days early and late season. I may end up renting something.
I was going to say that it probably makes sense to plan on renting. Unless you all get lucky and have soft snow. It does happen. :wink:

Note that I have skied my Black Pearls in the northeast. In fact, I used them at Stowe at a Diva Week East. Not ideal, but okay if not on scraped off groomers. Since the plan is to ski midweek, groomers should stay in pretty good shape. Not that much different than the day we skied at Solitude with low snow conditions and stayed on groomers.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I ski my black pearls here in western pa on pure ice and they carve just fine. And when I mean pure ice, it is way worse than anything I skied at sunday river, even that icy patch at the top @MissySki ? which was that? the pearls went right through that too. Maybe i'm just too practiced :(

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
The Hot Rods would be perfect on hard pack. Or, you can just rent something. Eastern conditions can be a big mixed bag!

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second the "have fun in any conditions" mentality. East coast skiing is more about mentality and thinking a little differently about your approach than west coast, IMHO. I've skied all over the west, and there is nothing better than fresh pow in Jackson hole or whistler. But I have found that the east makes me a better skier by being able to handle even the crappiest of crap conditions with a smile. It is easy to have a great day with great conditions, takes a lot of resilience to have a great day on East coast ice with a sprinkle of crud.

That being said....in my fantasy ski life, I live in Wyoming lol.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I ski my black pearls here in western pa on pure ice and they carve just fine. And when I mean pure ice, it is way worse than anything I skied at sunday river, even that icy patch at the top @MissySki ? which was that? the pearls went right through that too. Maybe i'm just too practiced :(

I'm thinking you are remembering Vortex?? lol That one is always icy!

I have Black Pearls too and used to ski them almost exclusively in the East, I think they do fine as well. This season the snow has been really good so far and I've spent most of my time on either my Black Pearls or my Rossignol S3W.. Have not even brought out my carvers once this season yet, yay Sunday River. :smile:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I'm thinking you are remembering Vortex?? lol That one is always icy!

I have Black Pearls too and used to ski them almost exclusively in the East, I think they do fine as well. This season the snow has been really good so far and I've spent most of my time on either my Black Pearls or my Rossignol S3W.. Have not even brought out my carvers once this season yet, yay Sunday River. :smile:
Yes. Vortex, that's the one. And my BP's that day were a rental, so zero edge tune. That slope convinced me to buy them, because that's what we ski ALL the time. well between that and the mashed potatoes at the bottom that i just floated over and could turn on, which my 68 waisted one luvs would have wanted to kill me on purpose in. I knew it could handle all of the above
lol.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Divas. I will figure it out (likely rent) but bring my amazing expensive custom fit boots which have changed my ski life!!!! I pray for "powder" and soft snow, but will go with my ski bum saying: "there are no bad conditions. only bad skiers". "Angulate. Angulate (DH former ski racing team coach).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly