• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment."

newboots

Angel Diva
Newbie question. "Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment."

What does this mean? What are these devices? Straps on your poles? Is there some way to keep your skis from going down the mountain after your bindings release?

I anticipate this situation . . .

First lesson this weekend! Yay!

Anne

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You don't really have to worry about it ...

The bindings on your skis (whether your rentals or your own) have brakes that drop below the ski when your boot comes out. That's the device in question.

I think the phrasing predates brakes and goes back to when skiers had straps to attach their skis to their boots in case of a fall.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering where you saw the quote you referenced.

I've been skiing long enough that I remember when skis had straps that attached to your boots. When you'd fall, you'd end up getting battered as the skis bounced around with you. I remember being hit in the head by my skis -- and of course, this was pre-helmet. Ski brakes are much better.

Last edited:

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some snowboards and all telemark skis come with "leashes" that clip to your boots or leg because if your foot comes out of the binding, they could "run away". With regular alpine skis, you are all set and do not need an additional retention strap because the brakes deploy as soon as your foot comes out of the binding which will stop the ski from sliding. https://www.evo.com/guides/how-to-choose-ski-bindings-and-din-setting-chart

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I've been skiing long enough that I remember when skis had straps that attached to your boots. When you'd fall, you'd end up getting battered as the skis bounced around with you. I remember being hit in the head by my skis -- and of course, this was pre-helmet. Ski brakes are much better.

It is still part of the skier responsibility code. Just taught it to some new ski and snowboard instructors last week...the snowboarders all looked at me sad and asked if they really had to get leashes for their boards.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, I ran into it on an old discussion about new skiers and what a hazard we are. :yardsale:

newboots

Angel Diva
@ski diva Wow, skis hitting you in the head! Hard to believe you kept on skiing! I am grateful for the advances in equipment. Not sure I could carry old, heavy skis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Yep, I had a similar experience at Kirkwood on an advanced rather icy bumped up run that I had no business skiing. Tumbled quite a ways down the slope with skis attached and hitting me in the head on every somersault. And there was blood.... but I was okay - just a bit shaken up.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's mostly now used for snowboarders, because leashes are optional (that is, leashes are not integrated into bindings iirc from a few years ago when my husband was a snowboarder). And runaway snowboards suck for everyone involved.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The thing is, brakes don't always work. I've known people taken out by skis coming downhill behind them as the skier formerly wearing them does a yard sale. And some of those skis have gone several hundred feet. I used to have a leash around my ankle, and am glad I don't anymore, but I'm surprised that something so inadequately effective has been allowed to replace them.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, brakes only work in some scenarios. They do work, though, better than nothing.

I know : we could all set our DINs to 15 so the skis never come off ;-)

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The thing is, brakes don't always work. I've known people taken out by skis coming downhill behind them as the skier formerly wearing them does a yard sale. And some of those skis have gone several hundred feet. I used to have a leash around my ankle, and am glad I don't anymore, but I'm surprised that something so inadequately effective has been allowed to replace them.

Yeah, I was going to say that in most of my skiing back east, the key feature of brakes is confusing new skiers who had ejected and didn't know to depress the heel piece before clicking back in. The surface was frequently so firm that brakes were useless for preventing runaway skis.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In powder a ski can travel under snow a good distance. This is how skis are getting lost sometimes. There is a limit to how much snow you will dig before you give up because a ski went quite far from where you lost it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
In powder a ski can travel under snow a good distance. This is how skis are getting lost sometimes. There is a limit to how much snow you will dig before you give up because a ski went quite far from where you lost it.
Unless you attach those neon velcro ribbons..... One year at Park City I attached mine and BF couldn't be bothered. Guess who was digging in 2 ft of new snow.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I've dug around for half an hour a couple of times. Granted, I had help with digging. Particularly nerve-wracking on uncontrolled slopes in avy terrain.

I own powder ribbons, but somehow can never quite bring myself to use them. They're a bit of a pain when taking your skis on and off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna